Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

Was fantastic to watch and an important player when healthy.

The goal he banged home from 50 in the 2012 after some amazing ball movement from HB was one of the great grand final goals

Sad that his career was so disrupted. None better at clunking a mark up the line to get us out of trouble exiting the defence.

Hate to say it this way but its pretty comical that he was probably a good two weeks of form in the VFL away from getting back into the side but the story of his career will be the inability to keep his body fit. Wonderful flowing player at his best but his body got the best of him

:'( At 32 he wasn't an old man yet and i genuinely thought he had one last part to play. Poor fella. We're actually quite exposed now if one of our KPF's go down.

Him and his brother were built to work in an office unfortunately. Was truly extraordinary how many niggles they both copped. His time will always be marred by injury but in the periods that he was up and going he was an exceptional player. We wouldn't have made the 2022 GF without him and i'll never forget his colossal performance v the dees in that final.

One of the more comic things about Swans supporters is how often (still!) Sam would be touted as the white knight notwithstanding his clear inability to get on the park for any consistent length of time. I guess it spoke to the impact he did have (some of the time...) when he did get out there.

Even if he'll sit firmly in the "couldabeen" category, he's been a fine Swans premiership player and goes with my undying gratitude for what he managed to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The goal he banged home from 50 in the 2012 after some amazing ball movement from HB was one of the great grand final goals

Sad that his career was so disrupted. None better at clunking a mark up the line to get us out of trouble exiting the defence.

That's the moment that always comes to mind when I think of him. Huge goal in a huge game.

At least he's going to retire a premiership hero.

Was a torn hammy that requires surgery that was the final injury for Sammy. Oh what could have been will probably be the memory that Reid leaves behind.

There were so many wonderful moments in that grand final, but that was right up amongst it. Sad that several of those players in that chain of play saw their careers curtailed/ruined by injury.

Disappointing that his body failed him. When up and running like in the back half of ‘22 he was a key to our success.

I remember his debut vs the Lions leading up as a key forward, goal in ‘12 grand final and the mark against the Dockers deep in defence to pinch a draw as a mix of highlights.

"It does not get better than that!"
Although I would argue that there is not much more graceful to see in our game than Sam floating above a pack for a clean mark.

Thank you Sam. Best of luck to you and your family.

Sam Reid the enigma and the Reid family genetic profile.

Well done. His peak was great, and then his lows involved missing many sitters.

Maybe played every game for the year once or twice.

Thanks for your efforts.
e372beeaf164924af138a520e6e54dfc.jpg
b8c4c02291e52e52de18d39f0c8a3ed4.jpg
f60d0e1d1733a60ad8e96f990c8ae2ee.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

I think we all knew it was probably going to be his last season, but it's a cruel way to see his career end like this. Would've been very handy if we could've gotten him out there on the park this season, as he is the best KPF on our list currently. But, injuries have curtailed him again. He walks away having won a Premiership with us and not many players win one in their career. Best of luck for the future.

Sam Reid the enigma and the Reid family genetic profile.

Well done. His peak was great, and then his lows involved missing many sitters.

Maybe played every game for the year once or twice.

Thanks for your efforts.
e372beeaf164924af138a520e6e54dfc.jpg
b8c4c02291e52e52de18d39f0c8a3ed4.jpg
f60d0e1d1733a60ad8e96f990c8ae2ee.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk
Yeah that's a shame. 8 out of 14 seasons on our list he played 10 games or less

:'( At 32 he wasn't an old man yet and i genuinely thought he had one last part to play. Poor fella. We're actually quite exposed now if one of our KPF's go down.

Him and his brother were built to work in an office unfortunately. Was truly extraordinary how many niggles they both copped. His time will always be marred by injury but in the periods that he was up and going he was an exceptional player. We wouldn't have made the 2022 GF without him and i'll never forget his colossal performance v the dees in that final.
Whole face of the Prelim changed against Collingwood when he hurt his hammy as well. People underestimate how he was a major reason we even made that GF with some of the footy he played that year and the 2 games afore mentioned. Deserves recognition for his contributions over a long journey and the constant injury hurdles he faced with also being maligned for underachieving with the amazing athletic footy ability he had.(Me Included)
What he didn’t deserve was to be derided by plenty on here for he and the club declaring him to be fit for the GF. I trust the club enough and the Integrity and commitment of Sam Reid to genuinely believe he was good to go and get out there and play in a game he had earned the right to play in. It didn’t work out. Shit happens but Sam Reid can walk away with that in the rear view mirror and should not have one regret. Well played Sam.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back