List Mgmt. 2007 trade week discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Jude Bolton

The only thought worth mentioning is that Sydney aren't going to give up a top 10 B&F player for Playfair, Tenace and pick 50.

Why not? He's 27 so he only has a few years left, and I think they see Tenace at about 5 years younger at least being in their best 22 and quite possibly a longer term candidate for top 10 in the B&F.

And they also get Playfair (also best 22 given their tall defender stocks) and a late pick.

Sounds a reasonable deal to me.

sounds alright, who would we take with pick 8?

Best available, which will be a lot better than what's available at #34 or #50.

My preferences:
- If we lose Blake or King, then McEvoy
- Otherwise I would look seriously at a key defender like Rance or Myers

All of those are likely to go before our current first pick at #17.

Why not? He's 27 so he only has a few years left, and I think they see Tenace at about 5 years younger at least being in their best 22 and quite possibly a longer term candidate for top 10 in the B&F.

If I were in Sydney's shoes, I wouldn't do it.

Pick 50 is window dressing. Playfair wouldn't be a walk-up start for their 22 and Tenace would be borderline. All for someone who is likely to keep playing 22 games a year, giving them great midfield grunt and finishing high in their B&F.

If I were in Sydney's shoes, I wouldn't do it.

CE if you were Syd , would you have given P32 for Chambers?

Why is Bolton on the table? Whats his contract position? Cap issues?
Maybe Roos is thinking their great run with injuries may be over due to their list aging. Lets face it , their style of footy is pretty taxing.
So maybe Tenace and Playfair , probably around the same dollars as Bolton yet gets them younger bodies capable of playing crash bang Swans style. Hey maybe they would prefer a hard guy like David Johnson , I'm sure he wouldn't mind the Sydney night life.

Irony , I fairly sure the pick that the Swans used to get Bolton in the first place was ours , traded to them for Cam Mooney's brother (Jason?).

CE if you were Syd , would you have given P32 for Chambers?

Why is Bolton on the table? Whats his contract position? Cap issues?
Maybe Roos is thinking their great run with injuries may be over due to their list aging. Lets face it , their style of footy is pretty taxing.
So maybe Tenace and Playfair , probably around the same dollars as Bolton yet gets them younger bodies capable of playing crash bang Swans style. Hey maybe they would prefer a hard guy like David Johnson , I'm sure he wouldn't mind the Sydney night life.

Irony , I fairly sure the pick that the Swans used to get Bolton in the first place was ours , traded to them for Cam Mooney's brother (Jason?).

All well and good TC. Just think the "offer" is not of much use to them.

Tenace and #34 for Swans pick #11

On the proviso Swans are compensated with a return 1st rounder for Bolton from another club?

Simpler approach perhaps. Otherwise if it were even to take shape it could become far more convoluted if for instance it is the Lions who take Bolton...they way wish to offload Selwood as a result? Given we are giving the doggies to Callan and they are willing to give up Mc Mahon in a trade perhaps a more complex version of the original could still see all parties happy and we might even end up with a seasoned running defender in the process if we offload our pick #50 also...? Although I kind of have our third round pick earmarked for S. Thompson at the moment so maybe not. Although perhaps a Playfair or Gardiner could garner a late round pick for that purpose.

Tenace and #34 for Swans pick #11

On the proviso Swans are compensated with a return 1st rounder for Bolton from another club?

Simpler approach perhaps. Otherwise if it were even to take shape it could become far more convoluted if for instance it is the Lions who take Bolton...they way wish to offload Selwood as a result? Given we are giving the doggies to Callan and they are willing to give up Mc Mahon in a trade perhaps a more complex version of the original could still see all parties happy and we might even end up with a seasoned running defender in the process if we offload our pick #50 also...? Although I kind of have our third round pick earmarked for S. Thompson at the moment so maybe not. Although perhaps a Playfair or Gardiner could garner a late round pick for that purpose.

Would be happy with Tenace+#34 for #11. That is a good deal for us.

If we did a trade something like I suggested, but want Thompson and think he'll be gone by Rd 4, then I would think we could get a new Rd 3 pick from the Doggies for Tim Callan.

Re: Travis Johnstone

He'd be great at the Cats, but I don't think you guys would want him for the simple issue of the salary cap that you might have even without TJ.

Exactly. Struggling to keep us under as it is so trading for TJ isn't going to help our salary cap situation even though he'd be a welcome addition to our premiership side. Would create havoc on a wing.

Luke Ablett

I know all Cat fans have probably thought of this at some time, but with the 2 Ablett boys turning into genuine guns (Dont worry about Nathan- due to the fact that he had no VSFL etc he is basically now where a young fella who played 2 years at the falcons would be after his first year at an AFL club- if that majes sense...Will be a gun!) wouldn't you love to see cousin Luke Ablett streaming off a back flank, kicking to Gary, who in turn kicks to Nathan in the goal square? I know the school of thought is he isnt as good as his two cousins, and lets be honesdt, he isnt... but he is tough, hhas a great kcik and is a genuinely good player i think. I reckon in a gun side like ours, he'd be even better too...not having to play the rubbish brand of footy that the Swans play. I reckin he'd be a good pick up. Maybe a trade involving Tenace or Gardiner might get him to Geelong...Thoughts??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Luke Ablett

Gary Sr>>>>>>>>>>>Geoff>>>>>>>>>>>>Kevin

Gary Jr/Nathan>>>>>>>>>>>Luke

Luke is Kevin's son, great pedigree, but just isn't on the right 'branch' of the Ablett family tree. Solid run with/flanker sort of player, but isn't on the same planet as the Garys.

Re: Luke Ablett

Gary Sr>>>>>>>>>>>Geoff>>>>>>>>>>>>Kevin

Gary Jr/Nathan>>>>>>>>>>>Luke

Luke is Kevin's son, great pedigree, but just isn't on the right 'branch' of the Ablett family tree. Solid run with/flanker sort of player, but isn't on the same planet as the Garys.

True. I'll take Monica and Enright anyday of the week.

If we did a trade something like I suggested, but want Thompson and think he'll be gone by Rd 4, then I would think we could get a new Rd 3 pick from the Doggies for Tim Callan.

That's what I'm hoping/expecting from the dogs so it could well become the pick for Thompson regardless of anything else we do. I have a feeling we will do something with the Swans...be interesting to see what it is. Upgrading picks is certainly the way to go though from here we agree on that.

We give up Tenace, Playfair and two picks (#34, #50) for pick #8
Swans give up Bolton for Tenace and Playfair and #50
Brisbane give up #8 in return for Bolton and #34

cant happen...you can only on-trade draft picks...if a player has been traded, he must play with the club he is traded to for at least a year

No and no.
Prismall is similar to players we already have in McLean and Jones (Plus those two > Prismall) and Tenace has pace but average disposal and we have enough poor users of the ball in our team.
I would say your 1st round pick would suffice.

Right now you'd be correct, on McLean at least. But Prismall may turn out to be better than both. I hope we don't lose Prismall, especially for a guy with as many miles on the clock as Trav.

regards,

REB

Are you being serious?

Johnstone is a far superior player to whatever Prismall will become. I'll admit his inconsistency, but if he played in a side like Geelong that has a fantastic midfield he'd dominate, a la Headland at Brisbane.

While you're at it, I'll have this week's lotto numbers thanks. :thumbsu:

regards,

REB

pretty sure its been said that we are getting there last round pick for callan.. So most likely that is rd 4 or 5. Wish it would be rd 3 but we just offloading the scraps

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2007 trade week discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back