List Mgmt. 2007 trade week discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Could be:
Blake + pick 17
For
Pick 9

Not sure whether I'd do that one, but I would definitely take pick 9 for Blake + 34, or Blake + a fringe player (Byrnes, Playfair, Gardiner, etc).

They need him BAD, and are probably desperate enough to pay too much for him, so if he really wants to go then we should take advantage of that.

Re: Travis Johnstone

for the record blakey and prissa are not going anywhere so we can stop this dribble!
The only players that will be traded are callan gardiner and playfair.
Blakey has decided today to stick with us and prissa said last week he doesn't want out. But gotta love trade week
And a big fat NO for travis johnstone

correct me if im wrong, but if we dont promote davenport, he can nominate for the draft and join another club?

i hope this doesnt occur ....

i dreamt last night that we traded chapman and nath. :eek:

Guys. Why is this even on our board?

Our club doesn't need soft, heartless Melbourne players.

T.J is a frontrunner of the highest order. Outsider and 28 years old.

I agree.

He is one of the most inconsistent players going around. There is no room in the squad for a player like TJ

Does any body think Scott Thompson would be a good pick up with our third round pick in the national draft, or is that to early / a waste?

If we let him slip to the Rookie or Pre-season draft there is a strong chance that he will go before we get the chance with pick 16.

Agree, Stupid to get rid of anyone like Prismall or Blake or even Tenace. Those players could all be around for atleast 8 years, TJ may be around for 4 years at best

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you being serious ? :confused:
He would struggle to get a regular game in our VFL side.

You know that isn't true. He'd get into the senior side, perhaps not automatically, but easily ahead of guys like Byrnes.

Apart from Jub , I doubt you would find anyone who seriously thinks Byrnes is a better option than TJ.
At his best his dispossal would be up there with Prismall and probably has more pace. Gut busting running... thats another matter but even if we only visualised him having the ball everytime Shannon had it , I'd say he would be worth 20 to 30 shots at goal extra a season. So if the question was "would he make our best 22 on talent" , then the answer is yes.
But thats not the question.

The question is "would he want to come to Geelong and become a Geelong player and all that encompasses"

There is no doubt that Ottens trade has worked a treat and one reason I see as key is that he wanted to come to Geelong. Obviously he had the talents that added to our side, he brought some qualities that we lacked which the other players recognised , although came on big money but was accepted as part of the group and he was willing to take on board all of our values.

Johnston on the other hand , would not have the same power to come into our group on big dollars. We are the Premiership side now, we have the credentials , if he wants to join us he would have to earn his stripes before getting the type of dollars that the ABC (AblettBartelCorey) are and should be getting. At Melbourne he may well be deserving of big dollars , here I wouldn't say the same , 09 will be hard enough $ wise without having him on huge unwarranted $. If he wants us then he'd have to play for less because with us he'd have facilities , the chance to play in big games, the chance to play without being tagged to death and the chance to play in Finals.

Do you think for a second that tc is concerned that other posters will read this, that what i, ttc, actually contributes is worth nothing in comparison to these great slabs of writing. an attention span not for the use in this environment - hands up - who did read this?

Melbourne blah. TJ did this. TJ, from big brother, did that. They should get together, both bongheads according to jubjub.

How would he cope if Ling , Chapman etc. pulled him up and told "Hey this is not Melbourne pal, this is Geelong and we don't do this or that. Pull your head and your finger out". I remember a story Stan Alves told about when he transfered to North in the 70's. He'd played 200x games was basically a very mature respected player yet when he crossed over to North he was ripped for pulling out of a contest. "Hey Alves , your playing for North now , not some crap side at the bottom of the ladder". One of our big things , noticed by media this year was when it was your turn to go , you went or you wouldn't get a game. Does this sound like TJ.

Sure he would add to our side but not as much as Ottens did. For us to take him , I think he would have to be desperate to play for us , willing to show the group he was willing to do what ever , to be a part of our great group.
Now if he was to meet this he could be a very handy player. Handy because just like so many other guys he would create problems because we have to many options. Handy but not essential. My preference would be to trade in a tallish backman , for eg, Troy Selwood (I think its Troy) up at Brisbane is out of contract , he would be a good fit , another tough as wrought iron player who could play back or tag.

Johnston on the other hand , would not have the same power to come into our group on big dollars. We are the Premiership side now, we have the credentials , if he wants to join us he would have to earn his stripes before getting the type of dollars that the ABC (AblettBartelCorey) are and should be getting. At Melbourne he may well be deserving of big dollars , here I wouldn't say the same , 09 will be hard enough $ wise without having him on huge unwarranted $. If he wants us then he'd have to play for less because with us he'd have facilities , the chance to play in big games, the chance to play without being tagged to death and the chance to play in Finals.

Anyway , if TJ wanted Geelong I'd be willing to trade 2 off Tenace , D.Johnson , T.Callan, Byrnes , Playfair or Gardiner. All would probably be in Melbournes best 22. Not acceptable then fine , we walk.

yo tc! too long, maaaan!

If he's that good, you should keep him.

I want to keep him unless we get a decent off for him. I'm actually interested in Tenace, every though not many other Melbourne fans are.

I can't see TJ going to Geelong though.

What is the reason behind Blake supposedly wanting to leave Geelong?

Is it solely on the reason he was left out of the GF? If so that's pretty poor form. I could understand he is upset, but he was dominated in the prelim by two fringe ruckmen in Bryan and Richards, what did he expect?

Geelong has a bright future, if he can't see his opportunities will come sooner rather than later maybe you are better off without him.

What is the reason behind Blake supposedly wanting to leave Geelong?

His dad is really leading the bandwagon on this one. Some of the stuff he has said :eek:

Does any body think Scott Thompson would be a good pick up with our third round pick in the national draft, or is that to early / a waste?

If we let him slip to the Rookie or Pre-season draft there is a strong chance that he will go before we get the chance with pick 16.

After his performane in the finals I'd say if we don't get him with our third rounder he'll be gone. Remember we used a 2nd rounder on Thurley a few years back. Hate to see him go elsewhere.

He'd be great at the Cats, but I don't think you guys would want him for the simple issue of the salary cap that you might have even without TJ.

Jude Bolton

Reported on SEN tonight that he is on the table. Speculation was that the Swans would want a first round, and potentially a top 10, pick for him. Or the player equivalent.

I don't think we want him - we've already got his type covered - but they might be able to find another club that would be willing to trade a first round pick for him. I think the Bulldogs or Melbourne would be keen to get him, but their picks may be a touch high at 5 and 6. I think Brisbane might be interested with pick 8 given that they have lost hard players of the calibre of Voss, Chris Johnson and the Scott boys in the past year or two.

The Swans have already expressed interest in Tenace, and I have also heard that they could be on the lookout for a key defender.

So ...

We give up Tenace, Playfair and two picks (#34, #50) for pick #8
Swans give up Bolton for Tenace and Playfair and #50
Brisbane give up #8 in return for Bolton and #34

This works for us because we get a substantial pick upgrade in return for two fringe players. Neither probably has a real future given the strength of the Cats' list, but are good enough to get regular games elsewhere. And by losing two players and a pick, we make our delisting job a whole lot easier.

It works for the Swans because they get two solid if not spectacular players who both have 8-10 years ahead of them and address burning needs, plus a fairly average pick but one that could yield some results. They get more pace through the middle and a reasonable key defender who also happens to be great mates with LRT. They only lose 4-5 years of Bolton, who they can probably cover anyway.

It works for Brisbane because they get a proven quality player who also addresses a need for them and still has another 4-5 years, and they still retain a reasonable pick that could yield a good player. They are definitely on the way up again and Bolton could play a huge part in helping them take that extra steps into the finals and providing leadership for their younger kids.

One alternative - if we get a 2nd or 3rd rounder (or upgrade #50) in return for Callan, we could use that pick instead of #50 to sweeten the deal even further for the Swans.

Thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2007 trade week discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back