List Mgmt. 2007 trade week discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

My new prediction based on the latest info.

We will pick Donohue with our 4th selection.

We will elevate Lonergan. We will keep Davenport and Bedford as rookies and delist Grima and Reynolds.

That will require 5 spots on the senior list to be freed up.

Spencer, Owen and Sam Hunt will be delisted. Owen will be re-drafted as a rookie.

Callan, Playfair, Gardiner and Tenace will be shopped around. The goal is upgrading picks.

If Tenace cannot bring an upgraded 1st round or an early 2nd round, then he is more value being held on to. I don’t think any club will pay that so I think he’ll stay.

Callan looks close to over the line in a trade and if not will be delisted.

That leaves H and Charlie. One will be delisted and, IMO, picked up by another club in one the drafts.

Yeah I was thinking along the same lines however Blakey may change all that by opting to leave. From what's been reported the Tigers are very keen but they have also shown interest in Hank (has the ability to play either end as a KPP, something the Tigers lacked last year after Gasper was pushed and Ray Hall was crippled by injury and a severe lack of skill). Perhaps if Blakey wants out then we could bundle these two up for picks 18 or 19 (I think that's what they have). If this does happen then don't be surprised if Grima gets elevated.

Re: Travis Johnstone

why
he should not send out messages through his manager

what has been lost through all this, is that king has ruined his body for geelong, all these injuries have been caused by footy, and has been loyal for 10+ years, former captain
the rubbish about blake anooys me, he wasnt the right bloke, and was in poor form, i dont hear varcoe threatening to walk out on the club

Yeah I was thinking along the same lines however Blakey may change all that by opting to leave. From what's been reported the Tigers are very keen but they have also shown interest in Hank (has the ability to play either end as a KPP, something the Tigers lacked last year after Gasper was pushed and Ray Hall was crippled by injury and a severe lack of skill). Perhaps if Blakey wants out then we could bundle these two up for picks 18 or 19 (I think that's what they have). If this does happen then don't be surprised if Grima gets elevated.

Agree that Grima is a chance if we lose one more than expected. However, I don't think that will happen. Blake's manager is surely just inflating his price.

Apart from Jub , I doubt you would find anyone who seriously thinks Byrnes is a better option than TJ.
At his best his dispossal would be up there with Prismall and probably has more pace. Gut busting running... thats another matter but even if we only visualised him having the ball everytime Shannon had it , I'd say he would be worth 20 to 30 shots at goal extra a season. So if the question was "would he make our best 22 on talent" , then the answer is yes.
But thats not the question.

The question is "would he want to come to Geelong and become a Geelong player and all that encompasses"

There is no doubt that Ottens trade has worked a treat and one reason I see as key is that he wanted to come to Geelong. Obviously he had the talents that added to our side, he brought some qualities that we lacked which the other players recognised , although came on big money but was accepted as part of the group and he was willing to take on board all of our values.

Johnston on the other hand , would not have the same power to come into our group on big dollars. We are the Premiership side now, we have the credentials , if he wants to join us he would have to earn his stripes before getting the type of dollars that the ABC (AblettBartelCorey) are and should be getting. At Melbourne he may well be deserving of big dollars , here I wouldn't say the same , 09 will be hard enough $ wise without having him on huge unwarranted $. If he wants us then he'd have to play for less because with us he'd have facilities , the chance to play in big games, the chance to play without being tagged to death and the chance to play in Finals.

How would he cope if Ling , Chapman etc. pulled him up and told "Hey this is not Melbourne pal, this is Geelong and we don't do this or that. Pull your head and your finger out". I remember a story Stan Alves told about when he transfered to North in the 70's. He'd played 200x games was basically a very mature respected player yet when he crossed over to North he was ripped for pulling out of a contest. "Hey Alves , your playing for North now , not some crap side at the bottom of the ladder". One of our big things , noticed by media this year was when it was your turn to go , you went or you wouldn't get a game. Does this sound like TJ.

Sure he would add to our side but not as much as Ottens did. For us to take him , I think he would have to be desperate to play for us , willing to show the group he was willing to do what ever , to be a part of our great group.
Now if he was to meet this he could be a very handy player. Handy because just like so many other guys he would create problems because we have to many options. Handy but not essential. My preference would be to trade in a tallish backman , for eg, Troy Selwood (I think its Troy) up at Brisbane is out of contract , he would be a good fit , another tough as wrought iron player who could play back or tag.

Anyway , if TJ wanted Geelong I'd be willing to trade 2 off Tenace , D.Johnson , T.Callan, Byrnes , Playfair or Gardiner. All would probably be in Melbournes best 22. Not acceptable then fine , we walk.

Travis is pacy and good by hand and foot. But he's a receiver who doesn't chase. Not sure that fits the present Geelong strategy.

what i am hating at the moment is that tenace was a no 7 draft pick, and could be about to bloom,
last year we were about to trade johnson, kelly, and ablett was not the same player
so in 12 months time lets not have any regrets
we need quality disposal
byrnes is a tryer, but lacks quality
johnson should go because we have too many same types, and callan is better than him, playfair is now too old and not good enough, and neither is gardiner

Agree that Grima is a chance if we lose one more than expected. However, I don't think that will happen. Blake's manager is surely just inflating his price.

CE , what do you think hes on and what do you think he's worth? I know the market for Ruckmen probably inflates his price but I wouldn't put him in our best 10 players so , anything over $150,000 is starting get a little rich.

what i am hating at the moment is that tenace was a no 7 draft pick, and could be about to bloom,
last year we were about to trade johnson, kelly, and ablett was not the same player
so in 12 months time lets not have any regrets
we need quality disposal
byrnes is a tryer, but lacks quality
johnson should go because we have too many same types, and callan is better than him, playfair is now too old and not good enough, and neither is gardiner

The difference with these players is that they already had runs on the board, but had fallen away. Tenace has yet to do anything of note. His disposal is terrible, its hard to turn that around.

CE , what do you think hes on and what do you think he's worth? I know the market for Ruckmen probably inflates his price but I wouldn't put him in our best 10 players so , anything over $150,000 is starting get a little rich.

I'm with you TC.

Clearly, the club has to be sensible here and only pay what he's worth. Let's not forget that we're essentially paying for our second or third string ruckman here. He may develop into more but that's all he is at this stage.

While Blakey's manager is just doing his job here, we're going to need to say enough's enough at some point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The difference with these players is that they already had runs on the board, but had fallen away. Tenace has yet to do anything of note. His disposal is terrible, its hard to turn that around.
tenace is not that bad
look at playfair, gardiner, byrne all worse

Did anyone happen to catch the reported offer St Kilda had thrown down Blakey's way? (SEN, of all places, but reported nonetheless)

I wasn't there in mind, really, but if I'm recalling things correctly, it was something in the 250K over 2-3 years neighbourhood. Generous.

Did anyone happen to catch the reported offer St Kilda had thrown down Blakey's way? (SEN, of all places, but reported nonetheless)

I wasn't there in mind, really, but if I'm recalling things correctly, it was something in the 250K over 2-3 years neighbourhood. Generous.

Oh my goodness. Hasn't his "value" gone up since GF week!

Johnstone for Byrnes, straight swap. Johnstone is a better player, but he's 28 and Byrnes is only 23, so the Demons get an extra five years out of him. Byrnes is also very quick and has reasonable disposal when he's not going for goal.

I think that's fair. Sign it up!

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/saints-move-for-ruckman-blake/2007/10/08/1191695823230.html

Yes Norm $800 over 3 years , I really do not see how we could match that.The Saints must really be desperate to offer Blake a player thats played .. what 30-40 , that much.

Now , as tempting as it is to do a Port and stuff you of to the draft , I think we should remember the Colbert deal. Lets just suck it up , and make the best of it.As CE has said , he is our 3rd ruck at the moment so we have a chance to maximise this.

If they are willing to offer him that then theres a good chance of getting their R1 pick. This could be used to get another young ruckman , pickup a Rookie that we think would come to hand quicker or use the pick in another area. Use it to get the young backamn that Geecat talked about or trade it for someone like Troy Selwood who could help out in a similar fashion to Rooke.

For mine , I say do the deal on Blake and pickup a kid with more talent thru the ground. While strong and getting stronger at bounce/stoppages he is a weaklink around the ground. The games is evolving towards requiring the ruckman being 200cm midfielders, if you can be used thru the middle it makes it hard in having two rucks in the side.I can not ever see Blake being used like Ottens. Put extra effort into West, get another kid to replace him and we are probably a stronger side IF king stays fit.

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/saints-move-for-ruckman-blake/2007/10/08/1191695823230.html

Yes Norm $800 over 3 years , I really do not see how we could match that.The Saints must really be desperate to offer Blake a player thats played .. what 30-40 , that much.

Now , as tempting as it is to do a Port and stuff you of to the draft , I think we should remember the Colbert deal. Lets just suck it up , and make the best of it.As CE has said , he is our 3rd ruck at the moment so we have a chance to maximise this.

If they are willing to offer him that then theres a good chance of getting their R1 pick. This could be used to get another young ruckman , pickup a Rookie that we think would come to hand quicker or use the pick in another area. Use it to get the young backamn that Geecat talked about or trade it for someone like Troy Selwood who could help out in a similar fashion to Rooke.

For mine , I say do the deal on Blake and pickup a kid with more talent thru the ground. While strong and getting stronger at bounce/stoppages he is a weaklink around the ground. The games is evolving towards requiring the ruckman being 200cm midfielders, if you can be used thru the middle it makes it hard in having two rucks in the side.I can not ever see Blake being used like Ottens. Put extra effort into West, get another kid to replace him and we are probably a stronger side IF king stays fit.

Totally agree Turbo.

First and foremost, the priority is to keep Blake on a reasonable contract.

Failing that, if he wants to leave, we must make the best out of it.

Hypothetically, Blake for pick 9?
I think 90% here would do it.
I probably would if it came to it and Mark wanted to leave.
Thoughts?

In a heartbeat. Pick 9 for our 3rd choice ruckman? Yes please! Will never happen though.

Hypothetically, Blake for pick 9?
I think 90% here would do it.
I probably would if it came to it and Mark wanted to leave.
Thoughts?

If they would, absolutely. I'd throw in our 2nd rounder to make it happen.

The top 10 in this draft is rated very highly, almost on a par with last year's top 10. We could draft a ruckman later on, or rookie last one perhaps to replace Blake, while Trent West becomes the 3rd ruckman.

The chance to say draft a real good young key defender in the top 10 as a long - term replacement for Harley and Scarlett would be pretty tempting. Or imagine picking up another gun long - term midfielder.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2007 trade week discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back