2010 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We can't just move a player from the senior to the rookie list - it has to be via the draft, so we could lose them.

One of the concessions AFLPA wrung from The Eyebrow.

Yea, and it's even more of a risk this year because of how high we finished and GWS have their finger in the pie this time round too don't they? Our first pick is going to be well down there ... or have I got that all wrong?

We can't just move a player from the senior to the rookie list - it has to be via the draft, so we could lose them.

One of the concessions AFLPA wrung from The Eyebrow.
I take it you mean the rookie draft.

Still, I reckon, it would be unlikely that a player we have delisted who has yet to play a senior game due to injuries would be picked up by another club.

In: Silvani, Deboer, Barlow, JVB, Faulks, Mzungu, Griffin, Pick, 20, Pick 43, Pick 55
(10 changes)
Out: Thornton, Solomon, Headland, Haselby, Hall, Tarrant, BoB, Murphy, Hinkley, Dodd

Bucovaz stays as he has shown capacity as a good forward at 189cm and 90kgs. Kicked 7 goals in basically his last WAFL game before being injured - if he can get under control of his injuries and put in a big pre-season he may get a crack at FF in the pre-season. Schammer stays as he is contracted for one additional year.

Good riddance to Dodd, Murphy & BoB. Hinkley a chance for the Rookie list but the word is that Melbourne may try to give him a chance on their main list with a late draft pick.

The best part about the trading of Mzungu and Faulks is that they both get to have a full pre-season from late October rather than starting in December after the ND and in Faulks case he can settle in Perth in the lead up to the start of pre-season training.

BoB, Hinkley and a few others will probably get invited to do pre-season training for the rookie list. I'd suggest all 3 ND picks will be 18/19 year olds.

Is Chris Hall any chance to be placed on the rookie list?

Do the rules regarding elevations from Rookie to Senior list depend if they are 1st/2nd or 3rd year rookies. I thought you could elevate a 1st or 2nd year rookie for a nominated pick in the draft without risk of losing them.

Is Chris Hall any chance to be placed on the rookie list?

Do the rules regarding elevations from Rookie to Senior list depend if they are 1st/2nd or 3rd year rookies. I thought you could elevate a 1st or 2nd year rookie for a nominated pick in the draft without risk of losing them.

I doubt it.

The main issue for him was homesickness not ability so if anyone is going to rookie list him it'd most likely be the Crows or Port.

Any interest in Mark Hutchings?

I quite liked him when he was picked up as a rookie.
Has been delisted by the Saints...new how to find the ball

Woah, I didn't realise he'd been delisted already. I'm staggered he only got 1 year on a rookie list after being such a highly touted youngster. Anyone know how he went in the VFL this year?

Maybe he'll move home and have a solid year in the WAFL and get picked up this time next year.

With Groves' contract extension, and assuming Mzungu and Griffin both got 2 years:

Bucovaz
Dodd
O'Brien
Hinkley
Murphy

Johnson
Schammer
Duffield
Crowley
Palmer
Morabito
Fyfe
Houghton
Bollenhagen
Ruffles
Mayne
Bradley
Hayden
Walters
Grover (Veteran)

Suban
Ballantyne
Barlow
Ibbotson
Crichton
Roberton
de Boer
Silvagni
van Berlo
McPharlin
Faulks
Mzungu
Griffin

Sandilands
Hill
Broughton
Clarke

Pavlich
Mundy

Rookies
Sibosado
Pearce
Shepheard

Movements
Solomon - retired
Thornton - retired
Hasleby - retired
Headland - retired
Hall - delisted
Tarrant - traded

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many rookie spots available this year ?? is it 7,Pearce and Sheppard are both borderline ,with Sibo being a certain starter,who else would be a chance to get rookied ?

Woah, I didn't realise he'd been delisted already. I'm staggered he only got 1 year on a rookie list after being such a highly touted youngster. Anyone know how he went in the VFL this year?

Maybe he'll move home and have a solid year in the WAFL and get picked up this time next year.

Saw him at Docklands playing VIC country. The kid turns blind alot, cant hit targets and no quickness.

Not surprised about him getting rookie listed.

Dodd's dumping (Bucovaz, Murphy, BoB's delistings are yet to be confirmed), and the rumour that Walters (two years??) and Hinkley (assuming the club wasn't silly enough to give him any more than one year!?!) both signed new contracts just before trade week, has the list looking like this:

Bucovaz
O'Brien
Murphy

Johnson
Schammer
Duffield
Crowley
Palmer
Morabito
Fyfe
Houghton
Bollenhagen
Ruffles
Mayne
Bradley
Hayden
Grover (Veteran)
Hinkley

Suban
Ballantyne
Barlow
Ibbotson
Crichton
Roberton
de Boer
Silvagni
van Berlo
McPharlin
Faulks
Mzungu
Griffin
Walters

Sandilands
Hill
Broughton
Clarke

Pavlich
Mundy

Rookies
Sibosado
Pearce
Shepheard

Movements
Solomon - retired
Thornton - retired
Hasleby - retired
Headland - retired
Hall - delisted
Tarrant - traded
Dodd - delisted

That leaves us with 35 on the main list (not including the 3 likely delistees), 1 veteran outside the list, and 3 rookies... meaning we can take 3 in the ND and 4 in the rookie draft this year, in addition to the 3 we picked up during trade week. That's another 10 new players in 2010, on top of the 11 last year and 14 the year before. Seems reasonable... :)

I think that leaves us with

21 "Proven" AFL Players (of various abilities)-

Johnson
Duffield
Crowley
Palmer
Morabito
Fyfe
Mayne
Hayden
Grover (Veteran)
Suban
Ballantyne
Barlow
Ibbotson
de Boer
Silvagni
McPharlin
Sandilands
Hill
Broughton
Pavlich
Mundy

3 new players who could potontially be in the above list from day one
Faulks
Mzungu
Griffin

4 who have shown enough they can be selected and fill a role (all with further improvement potential)

Bradley
Roberton
van Berlo
Walters

5 Developing Kids

Houghton
Bollenhagen
Ruffles
Crichton
Clarke

2 that I struggle to see playing a role next year

Hinkley
Schammer

3 new draftees that takes it to 38 players. Do we get 39 on the main list with Grover as a veteran?? Does that leave one PSD pick if we only select 3 at the ND.

It is important that the 3 players traded in become AFL quality quickly otherwise our depth could potentially be tested again. If they all do then our depth becomes quite good.

It has now been confirmed.

'Ahead of the next List Lodgement day on 29 October, the following players have been advised that they will be delisted from the main playing list: Steven Dodd, Ryan Murphy, Chris Hall, Brock O’Brien, Tim Ruffles and Ben Bucovaz.'

Ruffles is also delisted. Very unlucky.

Jesus, feels like a pretty rough call on Bucca. Would replace Hinkley on the chopping block in a heart beat.

With Hall, Ruffles and Bucca getting the axe, it appears our list management team really don't like hanging on to young players who've recieved major injuries, even if they've shown a little bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back