2010 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Our midfield ain't bad. Mundy our clearance leader is out. Barlow is back. Lower has stepped up. Fyfe is getting better.

Step 1: Get all our mids fit and firing together at the same time
Step 2: Get Jaeger
Step 3: Get Mora back fit and firing = virtual new recruit for 2012 in the midfield
Step 4: Get McInnes or Kersten with our first pick in the draft.

Midfield: Barlow, Fyfe, Mundy, Hill, Mora, Broughton, Lower, Jaeger = best in AFL.

Rucks: Sandi, Griff, Clarke, Kep..........Moller (in a few years) = one of the best in the AFL.

KPP's would still need work or someone like Houghton, Faulks or Anthony coming from nowhere to become a star.

the thing about our midfield you have mentioned,half are over 190+ that must be the tallest midfield in the AFL.:thumbsu:

a small forward minder(milne,rioli) would be high on the list.

Latest:

Johnson
Schammer
Crowley
Palmer
Houghton
Bollenhagen
Hayden
Hinkley
Grover (vet - outside the list)

Suban
McPhee
Ibbotson
Crichton
Roberton
de Boer
Silvagni
van Berlo
McPharlin
Walters
Faulks
Griffin
Michie
Mellington

Thanks for keeping this updated IP. :thumbsu:

The above list illustrates what a great job Lloyd and Bondy have been doing with list management, apart from Silvagni our best 15 players are locked in longterm or aren't going anywhere. :)

Our midfield ain't bad. Mundy our clearance leader is out. Barlow is back. Lower has stepped up. Fyfe is getting better.

Step 3: Get Mora back fit and firing = virtual new recruit for 2012 in the midfield

Midfield: Barlow, Fyfe, Mundy, Hill, Mora, Broughton, Lower, Jaeger = best in AFL.

Rucks: Sandi, Griff, Clarke, Kep..........Moller (in a few years) = one of the best in the AFL.

KPP's would still need work or someone like Houghton, Faulks or Anthony coming from nowhere to become a star.

Yes, but I am just wondering if what we are really going to see is Mundy, Barlow, Pavlich. With the others like Lower, Broughton Fyfe etc rotating through there.

Once you get all the midfielders together, than Pavlich goes forward. Heck, he should be playing forward now. But especially when Mundy and Morabito are in there, along with Barlow at his best.

Our midfield is good, 'tis true. But out of that lot, only Barlow, Mundy and Lower are genuine, inside, ball winning mids. Would dearly love to grab another inside mid with our first pick.

But if it ended up being a KPP, then I'd be happy with that too (so long as the next pick was for an inside mid).

The fact that we're playing Pav in the centre (as silly as that is) adds weight to the argument that we're short of inside mids. And I'd think most agree that we are. But we're probably even shorter on KPFs, so they'll probably be the priority this year and mids (who develop quicker) may come in 2012.

Time will tell I guess.

Our midfield is good, 'tis true. But out of that lot, only Barlow, Mundy and Lower are genuine, inside, ball winning mids. Would dearly love to grab another inside mid with our first pick.

But if it ended up being a KPP, then I'd be happy with that too (so long as the next pick was for an inside mid).

The fact that we're playing Pav in the centre (as silly as that is) adds weight to the argument that we're short of inside mids. And I'd think most agree that we are. But we're probably even shorter on KPFs, so they'll probably be the priority this year and mids (who develop quicker) may come in 2012.

Time will tell I guess.

The recruiting policy seems to be that it's far easier to turn a classy outside/running player into an inside ball winner than vice versa. The idea has some merit, however it's a lengthy process.

I'd say Bollenhagen, Crichton, Pitt, Hill, Michie and Co. are following in Mundy's footsteps somewhat. Not exactly though, given Mundy started as a FB! They've all got the skills, touch, smarts and speed to play a variety of roles on the outside. In time the club would hope for them to develop the size, strength and nous to also spend more time on-ball.

Inside midfielders with good skills are pretty hard to find outside the top few picks in each draft. Outside mids with good skills, are all over the place. It's just a matter of picking the right one. That's one of the reasons the club is placing so much emphasis on kids with good character and work ethic IMO.

Time will tell I guess.

We can get the inside mid role covered from our current stocks. Broughton, Mora and Suban have no problems getting the ball inside, and Palmer is still on the list. You won't necessarily get a better player than any of them with our first rounder. Plus, given we passed up on players such as Parker for Pitt last year, I don't think it is the way the recruiters are seeing things.

I'd have no problem going tall with our first two picks (McInnes/Lockyer and Kersten/Paine) and looking towards the midfield with later picks again. We already have the midfield talent in my opinion, we just need another strong clearance player or two so we're not relying entirely on a couple of players.

There are a few good inside midfielders who should be around at our first couple of picks, but the depth of KPPs isn't exactly there this year. We've obviously gone down the mature path with midfielders before, and there is no reason why we can't do it again. I'm not the biggest fan of Luke Blackwell, but it sounds like we're interested in him. And Darren Pfeiffer is finally fit and hitting his strides in the SANFL, I wouldn't mind giving him a shot as a rookie.

I know it's not always a popular view, but I've always thought that inside midfielders can be found late in the draft. More so than KPPs at least.

I know it's not always a popular view, but I've always thought that inside midfielders can be found late in the draft. More so than KPPs at least.

I'd agree with that, how many of the leagues best KP players were taken outside the first round?

I'd agree with that, how many of the leagues best KP players were taken outside the first round?

If you take the number of key position players we have selected in the first round in our history (Polak, Drum, Murphy etc), and look at the number that have been successful (1=Pavlich), it suggest that we should trade for them.

Johnson
Schammer
Crowley
Palmer
Houghton
Bollenhagen
Hayden
Hinkley
Grover (vet - outside the list)

Suban
McPhee
Ibbotson
Crichton
Roberton
de Boer
Silvagni
van Berlo
McPharlin
Walters
Faulks
Griffin
Michie
Mellington

I think Houghton will be offered a new contract, even though his start to the year was so late as he is already showing more intensity than Sibosado. Houghton could make it, just needs to add a lot of weight. Also good to see that there is no rush on Johnson, needs to be kept on one year contracts from now on to keep him on the edge, if he is kept.

I reckon Hayden will retire at the end of this year. His last few years have been cruelled by injury. His body will be telling him its time to go.

Houghton I agree has promise. Great athlete. Give him more time. If he doesn't progress at CHF, chuck him to CHB. I reckon he would make a good backman too.

Just having a look at the colts matches this morning.

Luke Morabito - 28 possessions, 9 tackles and a goal. Looks like his best game yet. Loves to tackle.

That young Corey Morris (not eligible until next year) is an absolute ball magnet with 43 touches. Thats two games in a row over 35 possessions.

Kersten back for Souths with 2 goals. Never seems to make a tackle though that kid.

McInnes not playing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, Luke is eligible this year. Being from Vic I haven't seen him, but he is reportedly shorter than his brother. Seems to rack up a lot of tackles all the time and now getting a fair bit of the ball. I saw one description of him that he is built like a brick s**thouse, hard as nails.

This guy on Dockerland describes him as "he is built like Glenn Archer but meaner. He is frightening."
http://www.dockerland.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=96&func=view&catid=1&id=355115

Mora and Hill's bro's as rookie picks?? Both would have similar athleticism to their brothers one would imagine.

Agree he sounds like one of those players everyone would love in their team. Only question was that he didn't get involved enough. If he can show he can get a bit of the pill, use it well etc, he could be a Mitch Robinson type???

Should have similar athleticism, speed to Anthony one would think. Anthony has a bit of mongrel in him too. How good would it be to have two guys like that terrorising the opposition!!

I'm from the same area as the Morabito's and know a few people that went to school with Luke and from what I hear I'd say it's very unlikely that he'll get drafted. Nowhere near as quick, big or strong. But he may have come a long way since I heard these things.

I'm from the same area as the Morabito's and know a few people that went to school with Luke and from what I hear I'd say it's very unlikely that he'll get drafted. Nowhere near as quick, big or strong. But he may have come a long way since I heard these things.

Cheers! Although if the athleticism, strength and height of his brother is the benchmark, a 180cm tough midfielder (as opposed to 190cm+) with decent as opposed to blistering speed may still be good enough :D

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back