2010 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A few things i'd do. I'd keep Duffield for starters. Why sell low? He was exceptional last year but hasn't been able to hit the same form this year. I remember him mentioning in the preseason he was aiming to drop 1-2kg to improve endurance. I don't think thats ideal as he never looked to be carrying heaps of muscle anyway. He seemed to have great endurance last year and seemed a strange goal for the offseason. Last year he would shrug tackles and deliver successfully out of the backline. I don't remember him making those daring runs this year. KEEP.

I'd trade with GWS to prelist Luke Blackwell and on-trade him to us. Some players just play better football when in their home environment. Blackwell seems to have got his body right and is playing exceptional football this year. Ideal player to have on the main list.

I'd upgrade Lower and Pearce. Delist Bucovaz, Shepheard, Sibosado. Leave Ruffles and Roberts on the rookie list. Grover already essentially on the rookie list being a Veteran. I think Hayden qualifies for the rookie list next season. If he can have an injury free preseason he's worth keeping on the rookie list.

Personally i think Palmer is going to Greater Western Sydney. Unless we can package his pick to get O'Meara or Bennell i'd bank the pick until next year. We are likely to get band 3 which is end of the first round. I'd pull the trigger immediately and use it in 2012.

Delist Schammer and Hinkley. Hence on the main list; Hayden, Palmer, Schammer, Hinkley (-4). Adding Lower, Pearce, Blackwell (+3). Also clearing 4 rookie spots in total.

Personally i'd trade one or more of Keplar Bradley, Michael Johnson or Ryan Crowley with an aim of creating 2-3 more spots on the main list. I'd delist Jack Anthony depending on attitude, desire and potential to change. You'd need inside info from the club. Similarly i think Bollenhagen, Walters, Jay Van Berlo could be close to knife edge.

This is where i'd start to go a bit risky; i think Fev is worth a crazy chance. Since he's been listed with Carlton and Brisbane in the past GWS could ontrade him. We could easily swoop on Fev and Blackwell in the one move. If it doesn't work and he's crap, ship him back to Victoria even before the season ends. If it works our forwardline is instantly transformed into a strength.

Forget about Surjan, he's contracted and though he'd be a good addition to the list i think he'll stay at Port. Similarly it'll be hard to get Bower via the PSD and i wouldn't want to pay for him.

Personally i think Faulks is gonna make it, really started to hit some form lately for PEEL. It still doesn't solve our inability to shutdown the small forwards. We should search the country for a tight checking small defender. Some 22-23 year old in the mould of Broughton. If we can't move on Crowley i'd try him as a tight checking small defender. Similarly i'd give DeBoer a go in that small defender role. Most will say their kicking out of the backline will be costly and frankly i agree. But when Milne costantly kicks 4-5 goals against us i'd be willing to try something different.

This is where i'd start to go a bit risky; i think Fev is worth a crazy chance. Since he's been listed with Carlton and Brisbane in the past GWS could ontrade him. We could easily swoop on Fev and Blackwell in the one move. If it doesn't work and he's crap, ship him back to Victoria even before the season ends. If it works our forwardline is instantly transformed into a strength.

No chance. A couple of NTFL clubs are fighting over him at the moment. Personally, he will love it here, but geez, you couldn't have a worse environment for him.

We should search the country for a tight checking small defender. Some 22-23 year old in the mould of Broughton. If we can't move on Crowley i'd try him as a tight checking small defender. Similarly i'd give DeBoer a go in that small defender role. Most will say their kicking out of the backline will be costly and frankly i agree. But when Milne costantly kicks 4-5 goals against us i'd be willing to try something different.[/QUOTE]

I like prattsta's view on small defender.try & develop Crichton for the job.

Good post Rgauci, I agree with most except for the fev part. bring over Jack didn't work so why ship him out after 1 measly year and bring in someone with an even worse head on his shoulders. They playing group would HATE it.

Also, each team can only have 2 vets on their rookie list at any given time so it'd be Grover and any one of Pav, Hayden, McPharlin, Sandi? Is he old enough yet??

I posted this several years ago. Just found it.

Veteran status:

2010 Season
Antoni Grover (age 30)

2011 Season
Paul Hasleby (age 30)

2012 Season
Luke McPharlin (age 30, 31 in December)
Matthew Pavlich (age 30, 31 in December)

2013 Season
Aaron Sandilands (age 30, 31 in December)
Roger Hayden (age 32, 33 in December)**

"Under AFL player rules, each club may nominate or list what is called a Veteran Player.

- In order to be eligible for classification as a Veteran a player must have been the age of 30 as at September 30 in the relevant AFL season and be on the primary list of the AFL club for at least 10 years.

-There is no limit on the number of veteran players a club can list, as long as the player meets the required classification"

Because Hayden was rookie listed in 2001 and 2002. He won't qualify until season 2013. He needs to be on the 'primary' list for at least 10 years.

Not sure how many you can put on the rookie list...the more i read the more it seems you can have as many Veterans as you want. The rules were changed in 2006 to allow more than 2 veterans.

Only 1 Vet can have 50% of his wage counted outside the salary cap. From what i understand the 2nd vet gets 25% outside the cap, 3rd Vet 12.5% etc etc.

Is Brendon Ah Chee originally from the NT?

Sounds like the type we would look at. Has a host of leadership awards and so on under his belt.

I think he is from WA, don't quote me on that though. But regardless, I've got big wraps on Ah Chee. I reckon he will really impress at the Draft Combine. A whole heap of potential in him, and how can you not like someone his size? Morabito on one wing and Ah Chee on the other, they'd be impossible to match up on.

Next year is the super draft.

I'd have no issues with keeping any compo pick we get for Palmer.

1) Using our first and second round picks only.
2) Possibly the two best talls at each end we can get or best tall and an inside mid.
3) Upgrading Lower as the 3rd compulsory pick. Possibly Clancee too on a one year deal.
4) Looking to trade Johnson and Duffield for O'Meara. f it's not good enough, so be it. Look to trade the next year.
5) De-listing Hinkley, Byron, Shepheard and Sibisado.
6) Using the Rookie draft on some talls Hartigan etc. If they see enough in Sibisado de-list then re-rookie.

Then next year guys like Van Berlo, Crowley, Pearce, Hayden, ruffles and Bucovaz need to be looked at and could provide the space to go a little harder at the super draft.

I heard talk that this yr was the superdraft but not really sure on that one but anyhow they are still a lottery so worth taking more of a gamble this yr.

I have no probs keeping a compensation pick for Palmer till next yr but that is assuming that he is going to GWS... I feel he will definitely leave Freo this yr but not sure if he will go to GWS.

We cant just use 2 picks, drafts rules mean that you have to use 3 picks in any draft and I think we should use 4 to replace Hinkley, Schammer, Hayden and Palmer.

Agree with your thoughts on O'meara trade and upgrading Lower however Pearce cant get a game atm so he wont get one next yr with all our players back so delist. Also agree with (Hink, Scham, Sibo and Shep) being delisted but Sibo cant be re-rookied as he can only spend 3 yrs on the rookie list so unless they want to put him on the main list we have to delist him.

If it is a superdraft next yr other players that, depending on their development and form, will be under the pump will be Roberton, Crichton and even Mcphee.

Upgrade:
Lower

Re-Sign:
Walters*
Bollenhagen*
Houghton
Grover

De-list:
Schammer
Hinkley

Trade:
Crowley
Palmer
Johnson

Retire:
Hayden

This is what I had a few weeks (months?) back and I haven't really changed my thinking.

I'd love to upgrade Pearce, but I just can't see the club doing it. I hope he gets a shot at another club. Any other rookies who are out of contract - not really sure who that is to be honest - can be shown the door as well.

*I do wonder whether Walters and/or Bollenhagen might not be de-listed and picked up as rookies. I think they both have a lot of potential.

Is Brendon Ah Chee originally from the NT?

Sounds like the type we would look at. Has a host of leadership awards and so on under his belt.

We should list him for his name alone.

Agree with everything there prattsta except Walters is contracted til the end of 2012.

I also doubt we'll get anything for a trade of Crowley so delist but if we cant get anything decent for Johnson then hes prob worth keeping (hes not great) but he adds depth to our KP stocks and we do need that right now!

A couple of points mate -

I heard talk that this yr was the superdraft but not really sure on that one but anyhow they are still a lottery so worth taking more of a gamble this yr.

Next years draft by all accounts is much stronger than this year.

We cant just use 2 picks, drafts rules mean that you have to use 3 picks in any draft and I think we should use 4 to replace Hinkley, Schammer, Hayden and Palmer.

The rules have changed allowing a rookie upgrade to be used as a pick so we have the option of only using 1 or 2 picks then upgrading a rookie(s) but I'd prefer to have 3 selections in the draft.

Agree with your thoughts on O'meara trade and upgrading Lower however Pearce cant get a game atm so he wont get one next yr with all our players back so delist.

Agree with you on Clancee. :thumbsu:

Also agree with (Hink, Scham, Sibo and Shep) being delisted but Sibo cant be re-rookied as he can only spend 3 yrs on the rookie list so unless they want to put him on the main list we have to delist him.

He can be de-listed then nominate for the draft though and it's unlikely that any other club will select him so we have the option to de-list then rookie list. Certainly hasn't done enough to go onto the senior list though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cool dominguez thanks for clearing all of that up... In all honesty even if we can re-rookie list Sibo I dont think he is really worth it, hes way to inconsistent and doesnt provide a strong enough contest.

I'd trade with GWS to prelist Luke Blackwell and on-trade him to us. Some players just play better football when in their home environment. Blackwell seems to have got his body right and is playing exceptional football this year.

Delist Bucovaz, Shepheard, Sibosado. Leave Ruffles and Roberts on the rookie list. Grover already essentially on the rookie list being a Veteran. I think Hayden qualifies for the rookie list next season. If he can have an injury free preseason he's worth keeping on the rookie list.

Similarly i think Bollenhagen, Walters, Jay Van Berlo could be close to knife edge.

Take Blackwell on the rookies list like Barlow, Lower I wouldnt give up anything to get him.

I dont see why you would want to delist Bucovaz when he got an afl game this year and has played solid wafl football all year. While keeping Ruffles and Roberts on the rookie list who are terribly injury prone and havent even played a senior wafl game between them this year that doesnt make sense to me.

I agree that Walters, VB and Bollenhagen are all on a knifes edge and like your comments about Duffield and dont get Surjan either good points.

And dont (and they thankfully wont) get Fev end of story!

If Pavlich and/or McPharlin join Grover on the veterans list, don't we lose spots on the rookie list? At the moment we only have 7 rookie listed players, whereas you're allowed to have 8. Though, technically we only have the 6 rookies. Given Lower is the nominated rookie, he actually sits on the senior list as well.

I'd expect Roberts to be retained for next season - it's his first year on the list and he's struggled with injury - other than that though, it's anybody's guess. Pearce, Bucovaz and Ruffles would all be a chance for an upgrade if we had space on the senior list, we simply don't have the space though. Some tough calls will need to be made...

Shepheard and Sibosado just haven't done enough in the WAFL.

The reason we have 7 and not 8 rookies is because Grover essentially
takes up a spot on the rookie list. If you have less than 2 veterans you can have a nominated rookie which can play without being upgraded.

If it's possible, I'd move both Pav and MCPharlin to the rookie list and free up spots that way.

Therefore:
Pav, McPharlin, Schammer, Hinkley
+/- 2 of Palmer, Crowley, Keplar, Johnson, Bollenhagen, Van Berlo, Walters, JA to free up 6 spots on main list.

Add:
Blackwell, Lower, Pearce, 3 draft picks or 2 draft picks and 1x psd.

As some people have alluded too, this is not the year to be loading up with new players. Save some culling for next year. A 1 year contract for Pearce is ideal.

Shepheard and Sibosado just haven't done enough in the WAFL.

Once the season is beyond finals action I would get either or both of those 2 promoted and into the side if possible. Have a look at them at the next level and see if they actually have a chance at AFL as opposed to WAFL. If there is nothing there, delist.

If we were going to make one more mass cull, I'd rather it be next year than this.

Get rid of 3 obvious ones, and keep young guys like Bollenhagen/Walters etc on the list. Give them another season, and if they're not up to scratch, at least were replacing them with what should be a better bunch of kids.

Better to pick late in a good draft than late in a shit draft etc.

Try and get what we can for Crowley/MJ/Duffield this year, if not, keep them and cut next.

Because he can rebound and kick it long (generally accurately too) something our backline is desperately lacking. That would be the only reason however, given he's a WA lad (I think) and I reckon your coaching staff rate him a bit higher than you guys do I'm not sure he would be likely to leave.

Given the draft is pretty shallow I'm more than happy for us to look to trade rather than pick up unproven 18 year olds.

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back