2010 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What do people think about Cruize Garlett?

He suffers a bit of short man syndrome, but he can't get a game for North, while racking up 30 possessions and being named in the best every week for North Ballarat.

If this year is quite weak, than a second round pick for an inside mide with slick hands who has been in the system is not a silly idea.

From what i saw of Sibosado on the weekend if they upgrade him onto the main list Harvey will have to accept him for what he is, a very skilled player who is soft as. He has about as much mongrel in him as a purebred, but he looks very quick on the lead and is a very good kick for goal. Not sure Harvey could deal with.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/talent-pool-a-tad-thin-20110706-1h2j8.html#ixzz1RNVqXcK7

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/talent-pool-a-tad-thin-20110706-1h2j8.html#ixzz1RNVqXcK7

Could see Pearce and Lower getting upgraded, maybe even Sibisado.

And only the 3 picks again

You'd also think if Palmer went, we'd bank the pick for next year

This also makes me think that Gold Coast's offer of pick 4 in this draft could be trumped by a couple of ready-to-go senior players.

If it's thin on the ground and they can trade for picks next year with the 'young player' signings - then why go for it this year?

Cruize Garlett's last few weeks:
Round 11 - North Ballarat VFL

STATS:
27 disposals
9 clearances
8 tackles

Round 12 -North Ballarat VFL

STATS:
31 disposals
1 goal
85% kicking efficiency

Round 13 - North Ballarat VFL
STATS:
32 disposals
9 clearances
15 contested possessions
60% kicking efficiency

Round 14 - North Ballarat VFL

STATS:
26 disposals
6 marks
4 1 percenters
Round 15 - North Ballarat VFL

STATS:
31 disposals
7 tackles
5 clearances

And can't get a game

Here is another two games hes played at vfl, hes never got under 25 touches in vfl this year. hes AFL stats this year have been pretty solid as well with limited game time. Also some videos on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89dC_SoV2PU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekUvrYsrAvs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNSKH8nrxcU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vePAJzfL5a8

Round 6 – North Ballarat VFL

STATS:
37 disposals
2 goals

Cruize played what was probably his first full game of football in quite a long time, and was named BOG. North Ballarat lost to Collingwood by a point, but Cruize gave his all with 37 touches and a couple of goals.

With our first win on the weekend, he’ll probably have to wait at least another week. Minor injury concerns over Ziebell, Hansen, and McMahon(?) may see him come straight back in though. I can’t see him staying in the VFL for too long because he’s been pretty dominant at that level over the last couple of years.

Round 7 - North Ballarat VFL

STATS:
31 disposals
8 clearances

Named 3rd BOG, I think Cruize is likely to be selected this week after another great VFL performance. According to the club website he finished with 31 touches, 8 clearances, and 13 handball receives. The handball receives stat is a positive as it's probably been one of his weaknesses in the AFL this year.

Edwards stole the show with 10 goals, and they should both be named Thursday night after probably being unfairly dropped in the first place.

I've been tinkering with my mock draft, adding a couple of rounds. Here is a preview of the Fremantle picks...

#21 Fremantle - Shane Kersten (191cm forward - South Fremantle)
#39 Fremantle - Marley Williams (181cm midfielder - Claremont)
#57 Fremantle - Tom Lee (194cm forward - Claremont)

Kersten is the obvious one, and will probably be the favourite on this board leading into the draft. Williams was really impressive against SA yesterday, and is another one of those naturally talented indigenous players. Could probably trim down a little, but could also probably play early. Reminds me a bit of Albert Proud (in a good way) also a bit of Headland about him (except size). And this isn't the greatest year for talls, so I went with a slightly older player in Lee. Still only 20, good skills and very athletic.

Cruize Garlett didnt get selected again after a 31 disposal game on the weekend, looks like he would be asking for a trade at seasons end. We should get him could really be a superstar given the oppitunity, he will link up so well with hill and fyfe.

Noticed that all of a sudden a few Freo fans have started asking about Cruize.

Cruize Garlett didnt get selected again after a 31 disposal game on the weekend, looks like he would be asking for a trade at seasons end. We should get him could really be a superstar given the oppitunity, he will link up so well with hill and fyfe.

There's not a lot about Cruize's game that suggests he'll ever be a superstar.

His main drawbacks are a lack of pace, height and endurance. Going on our assistant's comment just recently, he also has some work to do on the defensive side of his game.

Having said that he's definitely a clever player who gets plenty of the ball and is a tidy user.

Unfortunately for Cruize we have a lot of guys who can play as inside midfielders at the club. Swallow, Wells (more inside this year), Greenwood, Ziebell, Bastinac, Cunnington and Atley are all ahead of him in the coaches eyes.

There's nothing to suggest he's considering a move (he might even be contracted for another year) but I certainly wouldn't blame him if he looked for more opportunities.

^ Put it very nicely.

I think he is happy in Melbourne so homesickness wouldn't be a factor; him and the other indigenous boys (Thomas, Campbell and Wellsy) are pretty good friends, so the only reason he would leave (understandably too) is for more time in the 1's.

He is inside but is not a big player more 'one touch' (think Swan, obviously not his level though), not the best runner in the world (often has low TOG numbers) but fitness can be worked on. Disposal is by no means elite but as Daz said it's tidy.

Would be sad to see him go because he has potential but I don't think anyone at North would begrude him if he looked for more opportunities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Form shows that atm he should be in the 1's before cunnington or atley, and he's defensive pressure doesnt seem like the problem with him recording high tackles in a couple of games in AFL and most games in VFL. I really think cruize does shop around becuse he could be a swan type player he may not be elite yet but hes had no oppitunity, really hope we look at him. Also with potential like his he shouldnt be playing second string.

Form shows that atm he should be in the 1's before cunnington or atley, and he's defensive pressure doesnt seem like the problem with him recording high tackles in a couple of games in AFL and most games in VFL. I really think cruize does shop around becuse he could be a swan type player he may not be elite yet but hes had no oppitunity, really hope we look at him. Also with potential like his he shouldnt be playing second string.

Swan has a burst of speed that Cruize doesn't posses.

He's probably a better inside player than Cunners at this stage but Ben's performed a number of roles down back and up forward whereas Cruize is quite one-dimensional. Atley has had more of an outside role in his first season (and done quite well) which, again, Cruize probably isn't capable of performing.

The thing is, there's no-one in our midfield that's going to make way for Cruize anytime soon so he'll have to do something pretty special to become anything other than a backup. He hasn't really got a look in since Bastinac and Greenwood returned.

As I said, I wouldn't blame him if he looked elsewhere for an opportunity.

Swan has a burst of speed that Cruize doesn't posses.

He's probably a better inside player than Cunners at this stage but Ben's performed a number of roles down back and up forward whereas Cruize is quite one-dimensional. Atley has had more of an outside role in his first season (and done quite well) which, again, Cruize probably isn't capable of performing.

The thing is, there's no-one in our midfield that's going to make way for Cruize anytime soon so he'll have to do something pretty special to become anything other than a backup. He hasn't really got a look in since Bastinac and Greenwood returned.

As I said, I wouldn't blame him if he looked elsewhere for an opportunity.

Averaging 30+ disposals in VFL, i think that is special, ive watched him several times before an I have seen him play a rebounding half back role, half foward role and on the wing, so hes definatley one dimensional thats just what people think just like when he was drafted i recall his bio saying he was a small foward when he actually was a dominant midfielder, just saying cruize flys way under the radar with what he capable of doing and i would love for him to come to freo.

This talk about Cruize is interesting. I can only go by what I've seen at AFL level, and he looked like an average plodder. Quite slow, very short. Nothing special. Hard to believe he is a dominant inside midfielder in the VFL. Could be worth a late draft pick if possible, but I'd have him as a low priority.

i think he would be worth a 3rd rounder or pick upgrade, something like that. was always a very good junior footy player who back then played a role as a skillful receiver so he's obviously changed his game a bit. i'd have him over a number of other players on our list.

We should try and lock up a few kids under international scholarships.

May not yield anything, but you never know, the more irons in the fire, something may come of it and we may get a gem for next to nothing. Victorian/Eastern States clubs are heavily into the international scholarships with lots of Irishmen and now a growing band of Papuans, Pacific Islanders etc.

The South Pacific (pretty much PNG/NZ) team beat Tasmania today in the National U16's which shows theres a bit of talent there which is no surprise because combined they have a similar amount if not more kids playing (weekly) footy than Tasmania. Quite a few of their best players are already under scholarships to Vic clubs.

The World team beat the NT today also.

Some of the Sudanese, Pacific Islander/NZ, Papuan kids are amazing athletes. Most will prefer to go to the Eastern States because its closer to home.

We should try and lock up a few kids under international scholarships.

May not yield anything, but you never know, the more irons in the fire, something may come of it and we may get a gem for next to nothing. Victorian/Eastern States clubs are heavily into the international scholarships with lots of Irishmen and now a growing band of Papuans, Pacific Islanders etc.

The South Pacific (pretty much PNG/NZ) team beat Tasmania today in the National U16's which shows theres a bit of talent there which is no surprise because combined they have a similar amount if not more kids playing (weekly) footy than Tasmania. Quite a few of their best players are already under scholarships to Vic clubs.

The World team beat the NT today also.

Some of the Sudanese, Pacific Islander/NZ, Papuan kids are amazing athletes. Most will prefer to go to the Eastern States because its closer to home.

You making reference to the Sudanese communities over here in Melbourne? Coz im dam sure the Perth is a lot closer to Sudan than Melbourne!

I'm all for Freo drafting and International player, especially if it is for that 'tall' the next draft might be lacking... Maybe ask Mzungu if he has any taller relatives back home in Zimbabwe! ;)

I wonder how many more NicNats, Majak Daws, Zeph Skinners will be coming thru the system over the next few years...

Yeah that was the one, aahh so next year then? Wow, next year is gonna be huuuuge.. We should retain our spuds for 1 more season. :p
Interesting point you raise, Nickos. Before you joined a debate raged about why we didn't cull our list harder going into the 2007 draft, instead retaining spuds like Gilmore etc.

As it turned out, had we gone deep in that draft we would have ended up with another bunch of spuds that we would have been cutting in 2009 anyway, or retaining on the list in the hope they come good.

There is some value in banking your spuds for a deep super draft.

Absolutely, what'd be the point of dropping off another 6-8 senior list players this year if all draftees recieve a 2 year minimum contract - which in turn means that we'd only be able to find probably 3 people max to axe at the end of the 2012 season.. not to mention that the 3 would probably be fringe 22 players if we swung the axe big time at the end of this year.

Roll the spuds over for a year & go heavily for Jaeger as well as using the draft to upgrade Lower & pearce. It'd be better to have say 5 picks in the 2012 draft than this year, there's no doubting that.

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back