News 2012 Media Thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

A left-field but interesting vid on the Saints website with Andrew Bogut.

The Saints are letting him use the altitude simulation facilities, and (even though he loves the bummers) he was very complimentary towards the Saints and what they'd built.

There's also another vid with Peter Burge on the Colorado trip.

I had that scoop about Bogut weeks ago!! He was there when I was at club. I tweeted about how i saw him but then club asked me to delete it.

Looks like Tony Micale might be on his way to Saints in assistant coaching role

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/14717878/four-jobs-up-for-grabs/

Royals boss Tony Micale is also set to leave the club which he took to three flags, after receiving an offer to join St Kilda as a mentor and assistant to senior coach Scott Watters.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/14514924/micale-set-for-milestone-as-coach/

Tony Micale's presence in the St Kilda coaches box last weekend may hint at his likely destination next year, but the veteran coach has more pressing matters than his future employment to consider tomorrow.

Micale will become the eighth WAFL coach to reach 250 matches when he steers East Perth in their critical encounter against Perth at Medibank Stadium.

Victory for the Royals would virtually guarantee their finals appearance next month by providing an effective three-match buffer against fifth-placed West Perth.

Micale could not be contacted this week but should he take up his option to continue at East Perth next season, he could move into the top six of the WAFL's longest serving coaches.

John Todd, Micale's brother-in-law and 1974 East Fremantle premiership coach, heads that list with a remarkable 676 matches.

Like Todd, Haydn Bunton (406 matches), Mal Brown (381), Jerry Dolan (358), John Dimmer (283), Jack Sheedy (265) and Ken Armstrong (259), Micale is a multiple premiership coach.

He won four flags from 1997 to 2002 when he coached three separate clubs into six consecutive grand finals.

Sheedy is the only WA coach to match the feat of guiding teams in six straight grand finals.

After winning a flag with the Sharks in 1998, where his proteges included current East Fremantle coach Steve Malaxos, he was convinced to move back to his original club South Fremantle, who were in an alignment with Fremantle.

The Bulldogs lost that grand final to West Perth, but Micale had significantly more success when he immediately shifted to East Perth whose relationship with West Coast meant he would mentor and develop future stars like Dean Cox and Chris Judd.

It is an indication of how little some things have changed in WA football in the past 13 years that the three individuals who convinced him to take on the East Perth job - president Bronte Howson, chief executive Alex Wilson and Eagles chief executive Trevor Nisbett - are all still in the same posts.

Wilson said there had been no move from the club or Micale to discuss his option for next season.

"It is not likely to be talked about before the end of the season," he said.

But it is understood that should the Saints offer Micale a role to help coach Scott Watters, he would be tempted to return to AFL after nearly a decade as an assistant coach at West Coast.

Micale rejoined East Perth in 2009 but has not had the same success that marked his initial period with the Royals, producing his first losing season last year as they struggled on and off the field.

But he still has a remarkable finals record that will provide headaches for his opposite numbers should East Perth qualify.

Apart from the preliminary final loss to Swan Districts two years ago that foreshadowed one of the most dramatic premiership wins in WAFL history, Micale has not lost a final while at the helm of the Royals.

Malaxos said there was no secret formula for that success as a senior coach.

"Tony was always clear on what was required but there was always a focus on playing tough, hard footy that would stand up in big games," Malaxos said last year.

"It's probably no great surprise that his record is so good in finals."

Curious as to what Micale's role would exactly be, considering the only coaching position that is clearly needed and vacant is the academy director spot.

Rumours that Laidley is leaving at years end, but not really sure if true or not. Been linked to Carlton as assistant with Mick.. But everyone is being linked to Mick & Carlton1!

Also Watters has mentioned they want even more assistants next year, assuming more to help with the academy.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/small-advances-count-for-saints/story-fnbkcmy8-1226463085045

Small advances count for Saints
  • by: Matt Windley
  • September 02, 2012 12:00AM

story-fb.png

THE OLD brigade was out to lunch when news broke that a new breed of small forwards was heading to St Kilda.

Stephen Milne and Adam Schneider had been the pre-eminent small forwards at the Saints since Schneider arrived from Sydney in 2008, but things were about to change with the arrival of Terry Milera and Ahmed Saad.
"Schneids and myself were out at lunch that day and his partner, Nikita, was just looking on the internet and mentioned that we were getting a couple more small forwards to the club," Milne said. "So we thought, 'Right, well we better pull our finger out and start getting a kick'."
But Milne said any threat, perceived or otherwise, from Milera and Saad was quickly pushed aside.
"It's like anyone, you just welcome them in with open arms and let them get about their business," he said.
"It's pretty daunting walking in to an AFL club for the first time, so you've just got to get around them, let them find their feet and when they do that you try to help them as much as you can."
Schneider agreed.
"The way we look at it is that we get an advantage from it as well. So we do anything we can to help them and get them playing beside us -- just as long as it's not in our spot," Schneider said with a laugh.
For Milera and Saad, the chance to learn from two of the game's best small forwards was the best outcome.............

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/146658/default.aspx

Watters has guaranteed Justin Koschitzke's place at the club next season.

Koschitzke, soon to turn 30 and an out-of-contract unrestricted free agent, sat out the Saints' final two games of the season after a quiet performance against Geelong in round 22.

But Watters said the key forward still had a role to play.

"He offers really good leadership.

"

"We've got some young key forwards - Rhys Stanley and Jay Lever - who are coming through, and the work that 'Kosi' has done behind the scenes with Rhys this year … he won't get a lot of plaudits for that from the outside, but internally he's done a great job.

"

"He's in a challenge for his spot going forward, as is Adam Schneider, who had some injuries this year.

"

"Standout" is probably a bit over the top given 10 goals in 14 games, but some good improvement from DMark.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/146597/default.aspx

A standout season at Sandringham has put Daniel Markworth in good stead to potentially make his debut next year.

“I’ve been happy with my year. To get on the emergency list a few times this year has been good,” Markworth said post game.

“I was happy with my game today but you can’t really look back on it too much. It’s all about next year now.”

"Overall I think it was a pretty successful season.”

“It was good for the alignment. We haven’t been in the finals for four years so it was a good result for us.”

So now they are saying Kosi is out of contract... Make up your mind Saints!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So these Gram/Kosi clauses aren't even real? Between that article and Keane's tweet it suddenly looks like we have a lot more money.

So these Gram/Kosi clauses aren't even real? Between that article and Keane's tweet it suddenly looks like we have a lot more money.

i don't think we knoew if they are are real or not!

Watters said Kosi is contracted only week or two ago. So it seems noone knows what's going on.

As I posted in the thread re BJ, club and player cannot enter into a binding contract which forces either into gifting them years, the AFL does not allow it, does not sign off on it, and will back whoever is for nullifying that agreement.

There may be an "understanding" between player and coach that if performances are adhered to they will be retained, but it cannot be contractually related, so in that sense both Kosi & Gram are "contracted" because they have this understanding, but "out" as far as contracts go.

In other comments, frig me that they see Lever as a forward. Backman, rucking backman "who not try him forward" is usually not my first thought.

As I posted in the thread re BJ, club and player cannot enter into a binding contract which forces either into gifting them years, the AFL does not allow it, does not sign off on it, and will back whoever is for nullifying that agreement.

There may be an "understanding" between player and coach that if performances are adhered to they will be retained, but it cannot be contractually related, so in that sense both Kosi & Gram are "contracted" because they have this understanding, but "out" as far as contracts go.

In other comments, frig me that they see Lever as a forward. Backman, rucking backman "who not try him forward" is usually not my first thought.

Jay see's Jay as a forward but frig him that they see him as a ruck.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/big-jay-levers-his-way-back/story-e6frf9jf-1226202952558

Watters does throw names in randomly from time to time.

I guess it's better than his predecessor who probably didn't know half the list.

Either Lever is the worst forward in the history of football (having not scored a point in 4 senior matches, and kicking 1 goal in a stretch of 8 matches in the development league), or the Zebs have principally been playing him in defence!

He did kick 3 in the final on the weekend - not bad considering the team only kicked 9.

But (the the article states) his preference is CHB - and that's where he looks more comfortable (particularly whilst he's still so thin).

Watters on SEN
http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio/St-Kilda-coach-Scott-Watters/5785
- Simpkin has quickly become one of the coaches favourites
- Since the bye he's thought Goddard has been very good (top 3 for sourcing scores)
- the wish list (below) is over a 2 year period (key back and backup ruck initially)
- stoopid Andy Maher mentioned that Watters had been vocal with O'Keeffe's hit on Milera! ... ... "oh that was the other coach". Flog - he barracks for Carlton!
- Didn't back away from his comments on Walker at all.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...-for-next-season/story-e6frf9jf-1226464446936

Watters admitted Koschitzke was overlooked for the last match of the season against Carlton and "was in a fight for his position going forward''.

He (Goddard) has been offered a strong and reasonable offer. Ultimately he must make a choice. He is a passionate Saints person with leadership ambitions.''

"I was really surprised, really impressed, by Tom Simpkin and his input as a solid defender. He is always looking for a contest.''

He said there were "glimpses of class'' about Ahmed Saad and Terry Milera while others gave him enthusiasm for the future.

He said that he had a "wish list'' that would begin with "a tall, key defender'' and followed by "a back-up ruckman'' then "a young emerging forward and a midfielder.''

Loved it when Tim Watson asked, "What's the toll of coaching?" And Watters replying, "Well, it's a hard slog, Tim, as you know..."? :D

hahaha i thought i was the only one who found that ****in hilarious. absolutely pwned him

hahaha i thought i was the only one who found that ****in hilarious. absolutely pwned him

I dont mind Watson. He takes it as well as he dishes it out, and has a funny sense of humour at times.

This morning he was absolutely bagging the new Ben Stiller movie.
Then after someone rings in , " congratulations you have won this hilarious new movie starring Ben Stiller".

When he does discuss his coaching he's always ( rightfully ) humble about the experience.
He also seems to go out of his way to avoid saying anything nice about Jobe.

Remove this Banner Ad

News 2012 Media Thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back