2012 SC Midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, i'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons. but can you really afford to have the backline watered down to the point where you might be selecting an option that's in and out of the team, might only play a handful of games or putting up rather weak scores? considering we're back down to 2 subs this year you can't really afford to have someone that's not going to play every week. with the backline options looking rather thin i'm thinking i'm going to go with 3 premium mids and slotting an extra premium back in there. will probably be a bit detrimental considering the scoring output of the mids, but perhaps the overall strength in the backline if i get the picks right might balance it out a bit.

Yeah I'm starting to think it may be a better way to go.. 3 premium mids and 4 premium backs/fwds. I will have a good look at all the rookies this week, and decide based on who I like.

yeah, i'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons. but can you really afford to have the backline watered down to the point where you might be selecting an option that's in and out of the team, might only play a handful of games or putting up rather weak scores? considering we're back down to 2 subs this year you can't really afford to have someone that's not going to play every week. with the backline options looking rather thin i'm thinking i'm going to go with 3 premium mids and slotting an extra premium back in there. will probably be a bit detrimental considering the scoring output of the mids, but perhaps the overall strength in the backline if i get the picks right might balance it out a bit.

Ummmm, we aren't down to 2 subs this year. It's only in the NAB cup.

How many premo mids are people starting with? I was going to go 4 but it seems like there are heaps of great mid rookies and not nearly as many in other areas (backs).

For what it's worth, last years winner started with 4 premium mids. And they were "super premiums".

Van Berlo anyone? Killed it when Craig left and he wasnt given the tagging duties, I'm backing him to average 108+

Van Berlo anyone? Killed it when Craig left and he wasnt given the tagging duties, I'm backing him to average 108+

Doubt very much he av's over 100.

Just doesn't impact a game in the SC way.

8 good games last year...5 of them were v. Port, Brisbane, GC and Richmond. [inc. the 5 good games after Craig left.]

Looking for someone around the $550k mark, was thinking of Redden from Brisbane, thoughts?

Looking for someone around the $550k mark, was thinking of Redden from Brisbane, thoughts?

Got a fair few to choose from. Hodge at 577k, Montagna or Cotchin at 545k, Bartel at 548k or even a Deledio or Pavlich.

Van Berlo i think is as great a pick as any this year! been played as midfielder instead of a HB like he was at the start of last year is only beneficial!

Thompson is the Crows SC supremo but he's slowing down and Dangerfield isnt much of a SCer but Van Berlo's numbers in SC are pretty impressive when he's played as a midfielder due to his great use by foot!

He's very much like a Montagna from a few years back, VB has slotted into my Midfield this year and im confident he'll produce the goods!
Honestly think he'll average over 100 this year, might not be much over 100 but 100pts is 100pts in my book and he saves you $100k at the start of the year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who do people think are going to be the top 6 scoring Midfielders at the end of the year?

My guess would be:

Ablett
Pendlebury
Murphy
Swan
Selwood
Rockliff

interested to hear what people have to say? As Watson or even Hodge could be depending on injury.

Van Berlo i think is as great a pick as any this year! been played as midfielder instead of a HB like he was at the start of last year is only beneficial!

Thompson is the Crows SC supremo but he's slowing down and Dangerfield isnt much of a SCer but Van Berlo's numbers in SC are pretty impressive when he's played as a midfielder due to his great use by foot!

He's very much like a Montagna from a few years back, VB has slotted into my Midfield this year and im confident he'll produce the goods!
Honestly think he'll average over 100 this year, might not be much over 100 but 100pts is 100pts in my book and he saves you $100k at the start of the year!

You are taking the pi$$ right?

Thompson slowing down? On what evidence?

Danger not a SC player? Averages greater than 5 points per disposal.

Having a mid in your team who only just avgs over 100 gives you no chance of competing with the big boys for the 50k.

Having a mid in your team who only just avgs over 100 gives you no chance of competing with the big boys for the 50k.
Interesting point on Thompson. Averaged 110 last year but before that only over 100 once in 6 seasons. Of those 6 seasons, only twice did he have a postive dt:sc ratio. I kinda liken him to Swan of a few years back except its taken him a little longer to become a premium. Has he done enough to justify a selection after 9 full seasons and only 2 averaging over 100? I'm not so sure. I dont think he'll improve a great deal of that average whereas a player like Swallow would have a far better chance of averaging 120 for eg. Imo it should be go for proven (average 100+ for a number of years) or someone on the rise ie steady improvement going into their 5th or 6th years.

Food for thought i guess

Interesting point on Thompson. Averaged 110 last year but before that only over 100 once in 6 seasons. Of those 6 seasons, only twice did he have a postive dt:sc ratio. I kinda liken him to Swan of a few years back except its taken him a little longer to become a premium. Has he done enough to justify a selection after 9 full seasons and only 2 averaging over 100? I'm not so sure. I dont think he'll improve a great deal of that average whereas a player like Swallow would have a far better chance of averaging 120 for eg. Imo it should be go for proven (average 100+ for a number of years) or someone on the rise ie steady improvement going into their 5th or 6th years.

Food for thought i guess

Personally I won't be choosing Thompson but was more interested in the comment that he was slowing down, haven't seen any evidence of it myself.

Those choosing him because of his good early draw obviously didn't get burnt by his score last time against Port. And I expect more than 162 from a 51 touch game!

Personally I won't be choosing Thompson but was more interested in the comment that he was slowing down, haven't seen any evidence of it myself.

Those choosing him because of his good early draw obviously didn't get burnt by his score last time against Port. And I expect more than 162 from a 51 touch game!

haha seeing pendles and nds sometimes get that from half the amount of touches :D

I picked him up midseason last year and decided to actually watch him play. Expect him to get more handballs than kicks. And when he does get kicks, they are all quick grubbers out of congestion. Seemed to do that a lot last year. Not saying don't pick him up, but don't expect him to be the most efficient in my opinion.

Not taking the piss at all mate!
Thompson is an awesome player and i even had him in my original side due to the awesome draw the crows have starting with GC in rd1.
But with the crows using more midfield rotations this year than to what neil craig used then thompson while will still score well isnt worth his $600k price tag and the pick of the bunch value/points wise is Van Berlo from the crows starting midfield IMO!

Lol on what premise is Dangerfield a great SC player?
lets look at him for a second!
2011 = 4 100pt games
2010 = 1 100pt game
2009 = 2 100pt games

Thats 7 100pt games in the last 3 years! Dangerfield is an awesome player and would love him at the Tiges but his disposal is dreadful which translates to shit SC scores and not much better DT scores!

I did have VanBerlo but recently upgraded him to redden, but as for having a mid that averages just over 100 isnt useful well thats bullshit!
Last year i had Trent Cotchin who averaged 101 by years end and he ended up being my 6th midfielder and i finished overall 1262!

thats not too shabby if you ask me!:thumbsu:

Its all about about finding the Midfielder who is going to go from the 80-90pt average to 100-105pt average by years end to save cash at the start of the year but still score well in the meantime till you upgrade a cash cow to a premium and bump him back in your pecking order!

aim of the game is to have 22 100pt average starting on your field by the GF and i only had 1 that wasnt last year and that was Jack Darling!

Not taking the piss at all mate!
Thompson is an awesome player and i even had him in my original side due to the awesome draw the crows have starting with GC in rd1.
But with the crows using more midfield rotations this year than to what neil craig used then thompson while will still score well isnt worth his $600k price tag and the pick of the bunch value/points wise is Van Berlo from the crows starting midfield IMO!

Lol on what premise is Dangerfield a great SC player?
lets look at him for a second!
2011 = 4 100pt games
2010 = 1 100pt game
2009 = 2 100pt games

Thats 7 100pt games in the last 3 years! Dangerfield is an awesome player and would love him at the Tiges but his disposal is dreadful which translates to shit SC scores and not much better DT scores!

I did have VanBerlo but recently upgraded him to redden, but as for having a mid that averages just over 100 isnt useful well thats bullshit!
Last year i had Trent Cotchin who averaged 101 by years end and he ended up being my 6th midfielder and i finished overall 1262!

thats not too shabby if you ask me!:thumbsu:

Its all about about finding the Midfielder who is going to go from the 80-90pt average to 100-105pt average by years end to save cash at the start of the year but still score well in the meantime till you upgrade a cash cow to a premium and bump him back in your pecking order!

aim of the game is to have 22 100pt average starting on your field by the GF and i only had 1 that wasnt last year and that was Jack Darling!

Personally I won't be selecting any crows mids, none are likely to avg the 115-120+ you want from your premium mids.

I didn't say Danger was a great SC player. His disposal to SC points ratio however indicates he has the ability to significantly increase his average. If he maintains his ratio of almost 5 points per disposal, he only needs to increase his avg disposals by 3-4 and he will avg 100. Whether he can do that is the big question.

Finishing 1262 is nothing to write home about - I'm guessing you were about 1500-2000 points behind the winner's score? I finished 42nd last year (after being 2nd with six weeks to go) - perhaps the difference for you to step up into that top 100 or so is to only select mids that have the potential to avg 120.

Thoughts on Dale Thomas? I can't see him copping a tag with Pendles and Swan there and he did have some sub effected scores last year.

iirc ablett scored 180+ that same game aswell? so maybe that affected thompsons score a bit but still would expect more then 161 from 51 touches, will get thompson due to the good early draw

I can't help but think paying that little bit more for an absolute 120-130 ppg gun will be far more beneficial.

Marc Murphy is only $40k more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back