2013 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you see him being able to transition to that role? It's not the one he plays now imo. He struggles leading at the ball for mine, much better heading over the back or ghosting in from the side. More of a high winger.

Do you see him being able to transition to that role? It's not the one he plays now imo. He struggles leading at the ball for mine, much better heading over the back or ghosting in from the side. More of a high winger.

He looked quite natural as a leading forward in 2012 before his role was changed.

Harwood could also fill that role if needed. With Cutler and Robertson down back to replace him and Yeo if we really needed to.

Interesting point on Harwood. For some reason Voss decided Rhino was never going to play midfield again. Leppa may see it differently.

Pretty bloody excited about the new class. Isn't it weird how paltry the draft picks seemed as compensation - but now we have names to put to them they seem pretty awesome. Certainly getting the players we got in the second round makes up for not getting that additional first round pick everyone was screaming for. Goes to show it's not how many picks you have, it's what you do with them.

Great Draft! Some thoughts of mine below:
AISH
We're very lucky to get this guy. Already had 2 seasons of senior footy. Has sublime skills. Many have him second behind Boyd.

TAYLOR
Again ridiculous we got this guy. Some had him in the top ten. Awesome skill & speed. If Banfield's career with the Lions wasn't over, it is now.
We have a fearsome small brigade now of Green, Zorko, and Taylor.

ROBERTSON
People don't realise how good Nick Robertson is. When fit he is extremely good. I read somewhere he is now 91kg beast.

GARDINER
Should be our new Patfull. Can play on big and medium forwards.

SEN saying that social media took off when we drafted McSTAY, and they hope he does for our sake.

..and from a female pov of last night....our blokes looked terrible in those stupid blue polos.

Every other club LOOKED obvious in their proper colours and could tell straight away who they were, even from a distance.

..but oh no, not us....we have to look like any of those other clubs that ARE blue for their main colour.

(sorry can't help it, it irks me....we are maroon!)

rant over...carry on;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I thought we did reasonably well I mist admit a few things about out drafting still concern me. The major one is that we didn't pick up a genuine inside mid unless they're looking at Robertson for that role our someone on our list already.

Reading one of the articles on Robertson, it made it sound like that coming into the year (before his injury) he was a very good inside mid. Like Close, we took a gamble on our last pick with someone who has shown the talent in previous years but slipped due to his draft year being wiped out due to injury.

Maybe that's why the club didn't choose crouch or Dumont because they knew they could/ would get Conway in the rookie draft.

On the rookie draft some interesting names there One player who I would love to get would be james battersby.

Thinking they might see McCarthy as a centre half back.

They already have a combination of Davis, Mohr, Corr, Frost and Stewart down back, disregarding Gilham. I could see it maybe happening if one of them grabs it but I don't know that that's their overall plan - for starters Jaksch is largely playing forward in the reserves and came in as such late in the year.

Wow, most of these boys will be fine to step straight into Senior football too - not that they necessarily will.

McStay is the one that I have the least knowledge on and would love some more info. Big fan of the Robertson, Cutler, Taylor and Gardiner picks though... tick most of the boxes that I thought we needed. Aish is a great pick-up and it is awesome that he fell into our lap, but I can't really credit the recruiting team for that one because it was a no-brainer - just glad they didn't munt it.

Robertson is very exciting for me. If he can get back to the sort of form he had pre-injury then he could be a real X factor - 190cm, 91kg mid with reasonable pace who loves a goal and can run all day.

They already have a combination of Davis, Mohr, Corr, Frost and Stewart down back, disregarding Gilham. I could see it maybe happening if one of them grabs it but I don't know that that's their overall plan - for starters Jaksch is largely playing forward in the reserves and came in as such late in the year.

May well be a strategy to keep them positioned to maintain top picks over many years, as they develop and start to win their picks will slide, trading out key position players, of which they have plenty, may keep them at the top end of the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

2013 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back