List Mgmt. 2015 general list discussion and speculation - PLEASE START NEW THREAD ON BREAKING NEWS

How did you rate Geelong's trade and free agency period?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

DV2000

Club Legend
May 9, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I was wondering what you think would be good ideas for the trade period, free agency and the draft at the end of this season.
Which free agents should we target?
Which sorts of players should we target in the draft? (E.g. Inside midfielders, key forwards, etc)
Who should we be looking to trade out and delist?
Who should we be looking to bring in via a trade with another club?
Prospects of our ageing players playing on?

I think it will depend on how this season goes, and how our injury list looks at the end of the year. We need a second key forward, but we might not have to draft one if either Josh walker, Mitch brown or shane Kersten stay fit and show the coaches that they have plenty to offer at the top level. I would like to see some trade action, however, as it feel that so of our players are struggling to find form and be good enough for the AFL. I'm not a fan of just delisting players, so hopefully we can reach some good deals with other clubs. I think we need a couple of middle aged players to help steady the boat a little when our veterans retire in the next couple of years. The key to remaining near the top of the ladder these days is having a balanced squad that won't crumble when some of your stars leave.

I think it will depend on how this season goes, and how our injury list looks at the end of the year. We need a second key forward, but we might not have to draft one if either Josh walker, Mitch brown or shane Kersten stay fit and show the coaches that they have plenty to offer at the top level.
I'd get another anyway.

I was wondering what you think would be good ideas for the trade period, free agency and the draft at the end of this season.
Which free agents should we target? James Frawley
Which sorts of players should we target in the draft? (E.g. Inside midfielders, key forwards, etc) A quality Inside mid, a key forward
Who should we be looking to trade out and delist? Taylor Hunt,
Who should we be looking to bring in via a trade with another club? Tom Mitchell, Sam Reid,
Prospects of our ageing players playing on? Kelly YES; Enright YES; Johnston YES; Lonergan YES;

Love to get me some Tommy Mitchell. Gotta hope swans don't play him much this year and he wants to leave.... doubtful though.

In all honestly, we probably don't want all the veterans playing on. They need a retirement or two or they're going to lose even more young guys.
I take the opposite view - there is going to be a huge clean out of the 2008/09 draftees who have shown they can't make it. For the reason we need to keep the oldies around. This won't impact on the development of those who will be playing. JJ, Lang etc will be blooded heavily this year and next. Gotta have that sweet veteran guiding hand.

I take the opposite view - there is going to be a huge clean out of the 2008/09 draftees who have shown they can't make it. For the reason we need to keep the oldies around. This won't impact on the development of those who will be playing. JJ, Lang etc will be blooded heavily this year and next. Gotta have that sweet veteran guiding hand.

I disagree. We don't know how much the years of development matter. And I suspect it's quite a bit. If we do clean out the 2008/2009 draftees, no problem. Then there will be a gulf between the even older veterans, none of whom have retired, and the even younger debutants, who now need the 2-4 years' development the other guys we just discarded had. That's what I see as the big issue with that. Not saying it's necessarily incorrect, but it's placing a monumental trust in a lot of kids to develop very, very quickly. Otherwise it's Brisbane 2005 Mark II.

In all honestly, we probably don't want all the veterans playing on. They need a retirement or two or they're going to lose even more young guys.
Its a dilemma. Of the 5 veterans (Bartel, Kelly, Enright, Johnston, & Lonergan), none have really played like you could say "definitely should retire". Maybe Lonergan?

David Mundy's still out of contract. He'd definitely fit the bill. Other the. That the free agency list is pretty bare. Frawley would want way too much. Trading Taylor hunt might be an option but I don't think we'd get too much for him. Other than that our list is pretty good and fairly well balanced in terms of positions so just get the best available players in the draft.

Its a dilemma. Of the 5 veterans (Bartel, Kelly, Enright, Johnston, & Lonergan), none have really played like you could say "definitely should retire". Maybe Lonergan?

Not sure. It is only Round 10, and we saw last year with Josh Hunt how fast veterans can plummet. Tom Harley did the same in 2009, it became fashionable to infer he was carried for all of 2009 but his form only really fell off IN the Grand Final. He played well the week before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Injuries have really cruelled us this year. Caddy, Bundy and Motlop would have been playing a lot more time in the midfield leaving us with a better idea of whether they are up to it - as a cohesive midfield unit. As it stands we still don't know and thus cannot afford to jettison Kelly or Bartel as yet. Kolo hasn't played yet so we don't know if Lonergan can be moved on. Finally, Kersten desperately needs to play. If we can get some games into these younger blokes in the back half of the season we might gain a better understanding of what our strategy needs to be.

There are only 5 players drafted in those years who would be even a remote chance of going (brown, hunt, stringer, Cowan and menzel). I'd be surprised if more than 3 were cut so we probably need another 1 or 2 to go outside of these. 1 retirement would make it easier. Personally I'd be really annoyed if we cut somebody like Brown without seeing some more from him considering he showed glimpses of quality this year and we've put a heap of time into him.

There are only 5 players drafted in those years who would be even a remote chance of going (brown, hunt, stringer, Cowan and menzel). I'd be surprised if more than 3 were cut so we probably need another 1 or 2 to go outside of these. 1 retirement would make it easier. Personally I'd be really annoyed if we cut somebody like Brown without seeing some more from him considering he showed glimpses of quality this year and we've put a heap of time into him.
Maybe add Schroder to that list too.
R.e. Brown how much longer do you give him though? 13 games in 6 years. Then it becomes what 15 games in 8 years...unless he can get back this year and show something... he's gotta be shown the door.

FWIW I think Brown and Stringer will go, possibly Cowan too. As I said in another thread you can't retire blokes just cause they are old.

We've got 5 genuine veterans as opposed to Brisbane in 2005/6 who had heaps more.

I think another talented KPF would be a safe bet but we do need to focus on recruiting another backup ruck to Simpson as McIntosh may only be around for 2 years (depending on how the body holds up).
Vardy and Blicavs look more suited to key positions.

I think Jansen, Lang, Caddy, Horlin-Smith, Guthrie, Christensen, Duncan and Motlop can be the nucleus for an interesting & very promising midfield for the next 7-10 years.

We've got 5 genuine veterans as opposed to Brisbane in 2005/6 who had heaps more.
We have managed the retirement of veterans really well, IMO. And 2013 was a watershed year with 4 veterans departing.

I think last year was the big push - Pods, Hunt, Chappy, and Corey. Kelly will probably leave at the end of next. Enright and Lonergan whenever the feel like it. Stevie J and Bartel are the one's on which a question mark remains both of them could easily go back forward and play on for a little while yet. It wouldn't surprise me to see Stevie J running around for another 4 years.

Back on topic. Personally I think we need to get a tagger, centre-half forward, and small running defender.

Need a KPF and another Ruck. I personally would like another Classy mid but that's just me.

Would love to look at Frawley, but don't know if Cats will or not.

Would love to find someone that can shut down a friggin opposition small forward.

Would love to look at Frawley, but don't know if Cats will or not.
We will definitely talk to him but given how much Melbourne are improving I can't see him leaving.

I think the best way of determining what to do is by looking at our players that are under 24 years old, our senior players won't be traded and we are unlikely to lose any this year.

FB: Bews Toohey Hamling
HB: Smedts Kolodjashnij Thurlow
C: Motlop Caddy Christensen
HF: Kerstan Vardy Murdoch
FF: McCarthy Walker Schroder
R: Duncan Horlin-Smith
Int: Lang, T Hunt, Jansen, Blicavs
Others: Brown, Bates, Bourke, Hartman, Stringer, Sheringham, Menzel, Burbury, Cowan

Delist: Stringer, Sheringham
Possible Trades: Brown, Schroder, T Hunt
Question Marks: Menzel, Cowan, Burbury, Walker, Hamling, Kersten, Vardy & McCarthy

We need a genuine young 200cm+ ruckman
With Hamling, Walker, Brown and Vardy either developing, not getting games or being injury prone we probably need some more options
Having one more contested clearance player with some class would be my first option

I think Geelong will turn over 5-6 players this year

Great topic.

Delist

Cowan, stringer, schroder

Retire

Enright

Trade out

1. Brown: could possibly snag a pick in the 40s ala West. Or perhaps bundle with our 2nd to get a pick in the 20s. Doggies could be a potential suitor.

2. Hunt: a player I think we can afford to lose. Will always be an honest tryer, role player. Might get a pick in the 30s, which would be handy or bundle to upgrade a pick. A team like Gws would need a player like hunt.

Summary: out 6

Trade targets

Mitchell, Orourke, Jaksch.

Basically I think we need to target elite talent that we have not been able to have access to over recent years. Not sure how to make it happen but if the right deal came about I would go for it, would give our first pick for these players (plus something in return for Jaksch).

FA targets

1. Frawley: is worth 700 IMO. We are desperate for quality young KPD and here one is for the taking. Will have cap space and makes us instantly significantly better.

2. Nick Smith: rumoured to be on the outer last year and is also quality. Could be gettable and also makes us significantly better. Would have the no.1 defence by a mile with these 2.

Draft

I disagree with most in that I don't think we need a KPF.

We were extremely unlucky this year with injuries. We have vardy and kersten to come in for 2015+ along with walker and maybe blitz as back up.

If we don't get frawley, we need to as a matter of urgency draft a KPD that is capable of taking the no.1 forward each week.

Next, we need another quality clearance mid.

Third, a dangerous medium forward in the bruest/menzel mould to roam our attacking 50. We are void of this type of player without chappy, SJ and menzel. Murdoch is not the same quality IMO.

Hopefully with above trades we could make this work.

Love me some Jono O'Rourke! :thumbsu:
But he was taken at pick 2 don't see how we could land him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back