List Mgmt. 2015 general list discussion and speculation - PLEASE START NEW THREAD ON BREAKING NEWS

How did you rate Geelong's trade and free agency period?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd retire Enright and let Rivers go somewhere else. We got Rivers to win a flag, it didn't happen so now back to youth.

Cowan, Sheringham and Stringer are gone.

I'd be looking for another tall mid, a big key defender and a couple of long-term ruck prospects (1 for the rookie list).

I'd play Blicavs as the 3rd KPD

I would sack half the people posting in this thread

rivers for example has had a great year

trade taylor to gws for another forward makes more sense

true but we can't forget how poorly we ended up finishing in 2001 and as a result, it netted us a champion trio for a good decade in Kelly, Bartel, Johnson.
We traded Bizzell away for pick 17 to get Kelly.

Should just tank and give our pick to GWS for Cameron, load the whipping boys of the club and ship em off and get it over and done with....

Tanks for that but no tanks. If we must play all our kids and it costs a few wins fine, but every time we play they must know we are in every match to beat the opponent.

Last edited:
zero recruits for me.
Do everything at the draft.

Cant keep bringing imports in and not playing kids.

On this - do you think the big poachers/recruiters of established talent such as Hawthorn and Sydney will have 'narrower' Premiership windows because they've gone for mature players instead of building from the ground up?

I say recruit, but recruit SMARTLY. Fulfil dire needs but let that be it.

On this - do you think the big poachers/recruiters of established talent such as Hawthorn and Sydney will have 'narrower' Premiership windows because they've gone for mature players instead of building from the ground up?

I say recruit, but recruit SMARTLY. Fulfil dire needs but let that be it.
No I think the Hawks have been smart. They haven't been narrow minded.
I have no issue with us getting a 22 year old. Maybe even a 26 year old.

Got to be prudent.

Tanks for that but no tanks. I we must play all our kids and it costs a few wins fine, but every play must know we are in every match to beat the opponent.

Even though I was joking, I reckon we're at a point where we either look to fill gaps in the list or we put up with it and take the tumble, because gaps are starting get bigger and I imagine we got Hmac and Rivers to the club because we where looking at a flag.

Just thinking about it though, maybe they wanted it to be last year but it didn't obviously go that way.

Even though I was joking, I reckon we're at a point where we either look to fill gaps in the list or we put up with it and take the tumble, because gaps are starting get bigger and I imagine we got Hmac and Rivers to the club because we where looking at a flag.

Just thinking about it though, maybe they wanted it to be last year but it didn't obviously go that way.
Personally I think not. They realise we have a gap there and until it can be fixed you cover it with an old bloke. They are nearing 30. When someone is ready to take their place retire them. We had no replacement for Scarlo bring in Rivers (at practically no cost) until such time as we do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should just tank and give our pick to GWS for Cameron, load the whipping boys of the club and ship em off and get it over and done with....
too late for that- we've probably got more wins than the bottom 5-6 teams are going to get all year ;) Might as well keep going and teach the players that we already have, a bit more about success!

Certainly , with Hmac it was all about 2013 imo. And that didn't work but that's they way it goes. But what I don't like is that we now have him fit but as you say , we are a satellite with a diminishing orbit , and the list has probably moved to the point of it being a fluke rather than logic estimation that we will be in it. He is now an awkward player. Pick or not to pick.

I'm not convinced we have enough talent but I am also am not convinced that we are destined to bottom out, we have a lot of possible's and we have a good system. Last list build that took us to a GF , we had some FS's and several single figure draft picks. We lack these atm and I supose the question is can we over come that. And of course , one might estimate the lists in our possible opponents are potentially stronger than any we beat to win Flags. One can see we have a fair task ahead.

And to be honest , unless the rules change I don't see how we can really add more single figure picks to our list. For example , if the AFL allowed future draft picks to be traded we would have abetter chance to at least trade for one or two

Personally I think not. They realise we have a gap there and until it can be fixed you cover it with an old bloke. They are nearing 30. When someone is ready to take their place retire them. We had no replacement for Scarlo bring in Rivers (at practically no cost) until such time as we do.

I think there's no doubt that, following 2012's shortfalls, they identified the 3 current biggest specific problems and recruited to fill them because they thought they would be in a position to have a genuine crack at it in 2013. Namely the 3rd tall defender, the big ruck, and the inside mid. And who's to say they were wrong? They weren't to know that McIntosh would miss the season, or that Rivers' injury and its recurrence would cruel his season and prevent his smooth interlocking with the rest of the defence, or that Caddy's development up north had been inadequate.

do you think if we still had Ablett, we would be a much more superior team? (Obviously no Caddy nor Smedts)
Probably. It's hard to say if we would have had enough coin left to make sure Q9 didn't go home. Also would Ablett had become the player he is now at Geelong? You can never be sure.

do you think if we still had Ablett, we would be a much more superior team? (Obviously no Caddy nor Smedts)

At this point in time . For sure. In every game against big opponents in the last couple of years he may have been the difference. (well maybe not last week) Everytime the tag SJ , could they do that with Ablett.
The question I guess is what they become. If have a win from both thats one thing, but have a win lose or a lose lose then the Ablett trade stings even more.

I think Caddy will be a win, so its up to Smedts and at the moment the jury is out.

I would be pissed if Hawthorn got Frawley, especially given I can't see how they could possibly afford him. And generally speaking, I find it irritating how proactive and successful they are at identifying and patching holes in their list with blokes that still have many years of good footy in them.

I would be pissed if Hawthorn got Frawley, especially given I can't see how they could possibly afford him. And generally speaking, I find it irritating how proactive and successful they are at identifying and patching holes in their list with blokes that still have many years of good footy in them.

They must have the dough, seeing as they had it set aside for Franklin.

As for our general strategy, I'd like to see them at least enquire after Frawley, who is a gun when fit. I wouldn't want them to fork out huge money but if he truly is after success then it's worth a solid pitch. Otherwise, as far as recruiting and FA goes, I'd prefer them to save their coin for a determined crack at Dangerfield the following year, and/or any other a-grader that comes out of contract in 2015.

In the draft I'd like to seem them select midfielders with their first few picks, and then a ruckman. I'd love to see them upgrade some picks via trades, but I can't really see it happening, given the types of players they're likely to shop around wouldn't attract much interest.

As for our general strategy, I'd like to see them at least enquire after Frawley, who is a gun when fit. I wouldn't want them to fork out huge money but if he truly is after success then it's worth a solid pitch. Otherwise, as far as recruiting and FA goes, I'd prefer them to save their coin for a determined crack at Dangerfield the following year, and/or any other a-grader that comes out of contract in 2015.

In the draft I'd like to seem them select midfielders with their first few picks, and then a ruckman. I'd love to see them upgrade some picks via trades, but I can't really see it happening, given the types of players they're likely to shop around wouldn't attract much interest.

Does anyone know whether the new "saving up for next year" Cap Rules will help us with Dangerfield, ie do we or don't we currently spend 100% of our Salary Cap?

Yeah I suppose, but I was also thinking that surely some of that money will be set aside for pay rises for the other blokes - guys like Bruest, Gunstan, Smith, Hill... they have quite a lot of talented younger guys who would be playing for under what they could get elsewhere. A bit like at Geelong a few years ago.

And Frawley has apparently put $800,000 on his head, though to be honest I don't know if that's true.

Look, I just hate Hawthorn.

They will have someone huge lined up in the next year or two. Dangerfield or Martin someone of that ilk I'm sure.
Also the new rules will make it interesting. You can underpay in some years and overpay in others. Clubs will be lining blokes up years in advance. Be very ****ing suspicious when the Hawks, Cats, Dockers, WC or the Pies start paying under the full amount of the cap.

Does anyone know whether the new "saving up for next year" Cap Rules will help us with Dangerfield, ie do we or don't we currently spend 100% of our Salary Cap?

Again, no idea, but it seems to be the consensus around here at the moment and so I'm running with it. Dangerfield would be massive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back