List Mgmt. 2015 general list discussion and speculation - PLEASE START NEW THREAD ON BREAKING NEWS

How did you rate Geelong's trade and free agency period?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm sure we will have a better Idea of what we need at the end of the year,Jesus we don't know yet what their plan is for the Platypus as far as possision goes, or who may yet show something this season,I'm prepared to say now we need to look for a project ruckman and put together a war chest to take advantage of what may come up this year or next on the free agency list, and to say we will imo delist or trade our half a dozen this year.

Is it this year or next year Jeremy Cameron's contract runs out? Would love him at the Cattery!
KF
I would love to move the goals at KP to snare this guy, and try keep him for the long haul- would be as vital to our future success as Ottens was.
(Despite what he says about GWS now being HOME, Geelong would have to be better, surely. We could entice with farm property out near Torquay, etc.)
Ben Griffiths. Massive potential still untapped and finally free of injury, and short of opportunities at Tigerville.

MIDS
As far as a great inside mid, which is our need, I do believe that with a bit of luck with injury, Caddy , Bundy and GHS will be a lot better next year.
I want Dustin Martin. Next year he is contracted?

KB
Could Lachie Hansen be tempted/out of contract? Great mark and perfect blend of age/experience.
Carlisle would be an amazing get, and could be ready for a CLEAN change.
Daniel Merrett could be handy, although age ??

DELIST/TRADES/RETIREMENT
Boris?- sad, but human he is.

Stringer
Sheringham
Shroder?

Trade-
Doubt that current value for TV/THunt.
Vardy?. Cruel after surgery, but could be timely.
Duncan?- we don't really do that stuff, but to get a gun, got to give up something really good.

Last edited:
Think there will be two strategies, try and bring home an early draft pick from expansion clubs and secondly, pick up restricted free agent, key forward probably the target.

I think we should go hard at Dusty or Jack, I don't think either are happy at Richmond, Dusty cause he only signed for two more years and Jack because the coach is useless. If Richmond live up to their full potential and finish 14th again. We'd be in with a shot.

Set him and Selwood up for a coffee date. You'd know the answer at the end of it.

Lonergan, Enright, Mackie, Rivers are all getting on, need a backline rebuild. Hawkins, Vardy, Kersten, maybe Brown/Walker are all at a good age. Plenty of young mids, Selwood, Caddy, Bundy, Duncan, Lang should be around for years yet.

Lonergan, Enright, Mackie, Rivers are all getting on, need a backline rebuild. Hawkins, Vardy, Kersten, maybe Brown/Walker are all at a good age. Plenty of young mids, Selwood, Caddy, Bundy, Duncan, Lang should be around for years yet.
This is the one that worries me the most. Yes backmen can go on longer than most and they are all playing well. But it would take much for the ass end to fall out of it over the space of a couple of years!

what are your thoughts on the new blokes we got in, Kolodjashnij and Toohey?
And Blicavs as a possible defender for the remainder of the year?
Being from SA I haven't seen Kol or Toohey play, I've noticed Kol in the best players a bit so he must go alright.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeh, obviously to early to get an idea just yet but I have been relatively surprised with Toohey myself. Looking forward to watching how he goes in the coming weeks as he moves much better than what I thought he would for a kid of his size. Still looks rather undersized (physically) which is scary as he's big as is already.

Caddy, Selwood, Bundy, Hyphen, Duncan, Martin and Jansen . . . looks good on paper :)

Looks even better with Johnson. ;)
BUT overall, still at least one short and still too small.
All the good teams are increasing the number of on-ballers (the term "midfielder" is now an anachronism), and increasing their size.
We need more of the Jansen type longer-term, and we need another good on-baller, preferably an insider, immediately.

Caddy, Hyphen, Duncan are all between 187-188cm, Johnson, Jansen are 189-192cm. They are big boys and three of them still have a little more development to come as they are aged 19 & 20 respectively.
In years gone by, we had Lingy, Corey, Bartel and occasionally Rooke who were all between that 6ft'1 - 6ft'3 range.

I know Bourke is another with some size about him but I haven't seen or heard too much about him since joining the club, maybe more of a project player?
But yeh' like manboob mentioned, someone like Dustin Martin, Patrick Dangerfield would be on the radar (although I thought Martin re signed).

I think from now on, Corey's big, strong 191cm will be the starting point for at least 2 or 3 of the on-ballers in strong teams, unless you have the strength of a Caddy or Ling. Jansen is our first of the new breed, but we need to increase our overall on-baller crew both in numbers and size as soon as we can. For years we've been physically monstering other teams in the packs, and they've taken note and acted accordingly.

With Kelly signing on the only two players we have 30 or over who are OOC are Enright and Rivers, and both are in very good form and so neither will be pushed at year's end unless they have a serious injury. Enright may choose to retire but I doubt he would be pushed, and Rivers will go around again.

I expect a pretty big cut of guys who have been here 4 years or more and not in the best 22, to clear room for the draft and elevating Blicavs. Cowan 1st IMO, and would expect Stringer and probably Schroder to join him. Guys like Brown and Hunt will seek trades if they are not in the 22 come finals time.

I completely disagree with the idea we need to go after a young KPF. A mature one maybe (although then I would question moving Pods on) but Walker and in particular Kersten are very good KPF's, and with the late round picks that we will have, you are unlikely to get a better KPF than what we already have. We just need to play them.
At the other end of the ground our depth is really thin. We need a good young KPD, we also need another inside mid or two and a ruckman. Whether that's a 18 yo ruckman or a mature ruckman probably depends on how much footy McIntosh is deemed to have left in him. A small defender as a rookie also wouldn't go astray.

Of the free agents the only two that fit our needs and are quality options are Mundy and Frawley. That said I would only take either if they came for less money than what they are on at their clubs now, as Rivers did. The only player who we should be offering big big $ to is Dangerfield so we should not be spending huge chunks of cap on other free agents. In fact with the changes to the cap rules today, I would say there's a big chance we go quiet at trade period so we can pay less than 100 % of cap next year, giving us more room to offer potential free agents at the end of next year.

There are only 5 players drafted in those years who would be even a remote chance of going (brown, hunt, stringer, Cowan and menzel). I'd be surprised if more than 3 were cut so we probably need another 1 or 2 to go outside of these. 1 retirement would make it easier. Personally I'd be really annoyed if we cut somebody like Brown without seeing some more from him considering he showed glimpses of quality this year and we've put a heap of time into him.

Even though I think he can still contribute I think the overriding reason is something else - we just don't have many young key forwards or key defenders who are actually ready for senior football right now.

what are your thoughts on the new blokes we got in, Kolodjashnij and Toohey?
And Blicavs as a possible defender for the remainder of the year?

Based on what I've seen the last fortnight I'd have no problem with Blicavs playing as the third tall defender. To me he's looked more comfortable there (mostly) than anywhere else. He is still going to get lost and make howlers from time to time, as decision making isn't his strong suit. But it provides a nice mechanism to rest Lonergan and Rivers from time to time too.

Even though I think he can still contribute I think the overriding reason is something else - we just don't have many young key forwards or key defenders who are actually ready for senior football right now.
It seems to me that Brown's about as ready as he's ever going to be- and the MC are happy getting games into so many other inexperienced players when they are obviously not nearly ready- so what on earth is holding up Brown's development?
Fair enough, his run in the seniors this year was cut short by injury but I'm thinking there's some sort of conversation happening between him and the coaches which is why he's not getting a decent run in the team- and I'm hoping it isn't a mental issue with him, rather than a physical issue because they're a lot harder to fix.

I think from now on, Corey's big, strong 191cm will be the starting point for at least 2 or 3 of the on-ballers in strong teams, unless you have the strength of a Caddy or Ling. Jansen is our first of the new breed, but we need to increase our overall on-baller crew both in numbers and size as soon as we can. For years we've been physically monstering other teams in the packs, and they've taken note and acted accordingly.

And speaking of Ling, he was actually 189cm and 90 odd kgs. Not so surprising really that he was that strong.

I do agree in general, about the need to have a big strong midfield, though I don't think we need more than 1 or 2 guys over 190. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have more than that, provided they weren't losing any sort of dexterity or nimbleness for being that tall, but generally speaking I think weight is more indicative of the type of strength required around the packs. Weight relative to height, that is (the strength of Caddy and Ling that you refer to). Apart from Corey, all our a-grade mids in the dominant era were sub 190cm, though tellingly most of them were pushing 90kgs (and Ling, as mentioned, was over 90kg). Ablett was 182cm and around 88kg. Chappy 179 and 88. Kelly and Bartel were 86/87 kgs. Selwood is 182cm and 87kg. Throw Corey and Ling into the mix and you have a very physically imposing group. But interestingly only one of these players stands over 190cm (and he was a relatively lean 87kg at that).

Anyway I'm not really disagreeing. The game is constantly evolving and perhaps the fore mentioned stats are now the norm, hence the need to go one better. I just find it interesting. If Jansen becomes a player we'll be off to a good start. Caddy is strong, as you say, and Selwood is a bull and will hopefully be around for another 6 years.

Edit: and how could I forget Dangerfield - he's 6'2";)

true but we can't forget how poorly we ended up finishing in 2001 and as a result, it netted us a champion trio for a good decade in Kelly, Bartel, Johnson.
I play a game on the iPad Bobby.
And I got to the top level, but never won the top prizes at any level.

Right now I'm trying to tank back so I can go win some.
I can tell you, it's almost impossible to do. It's demoralising.

The only way I'm getting close is by trying stuff I'd never try.
I reckon it would rip the fabric of the club apart to even think it. Never mind implement it.

true but we can't forget how poorly we ended up finishing in 2001 and as a result, it netted us a champion trio for a good decade in Kelly, Bartel, Johnson.
Think 2001 proves the opposite, to be honest. We finished 12th in 2001 - which obviously is not great, but by the same token we were only two games out of 8th spot. Bartel and Kelly were first round picks - 8 and 17 respectively - but we picked up #17 when we traded Bizzell. Johnson was a second round pick. Compare that to 2012 where we finished 7th, took Thurlow at #17 and traded our remaining Ablett compo pick for Caddy. Not that different except that the asset we traded picked up a player rather than a pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back