List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Draft, Rookie Draft and FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must say, this is all very aggressive list management. Delisting a beloved veteran, a contracted player, and the feel-good redemption story of last year. I'm not saying I disagree with it, btw. I'm just saying you don't make those kind of hard calls unless you've got some ambitious plans in the making.

Mitch Brown might end up at Fremantle or Essendon.

Pick 35 or pick 57

He is useless.

Nowhere near an AFL footballer, seriously average!

Re Nick O Brian.
Not a lot of seriously average footy players can get their hands on it 30 times in a game. ( more than once ).
Is it his disposal that lets him down?

( Surely if he can get that much of the ball he must be at least a little bit "near" AFL standard ).

I must say, this is all very aggressive list management. Delisting a beloved veteran, a contracted player, and the feel-good redemption story of last year. I'm not saying I disagree with it, btw. I'm just saying you don't make those kind of hard calls unless you've got some ambitious plans in the making.

I'm not sure the delisting of Ray indicates much more than any of our past delistings of similar players but Saunders definitely indicates we have a very good idea of a better possible option either as a DFA/PSD or late draftee.

Had a quick look, not a lot there that fit our age profile etc. Thought maybe Kieran Harper & Andrew Moore but Tigers it seems are going to sign Moore. Don't know much about Sean McLaren but looked him up & is 198 cm Key Defender who came through the AIS-AFL Academy

EDIT - Alex Woodward from the Hawks is another who has been delisted & might be a chance
Woodward?! The kids had about 4,827 knee injuries.

No way.

I just don't rate any of the recycled players this year. Everyone is one that hasn't worked well at AFL level.

Harper, but big question mark on his disposal count.

Holman was a pick in the 30s, so unsure if fits in the current list. We already have enough plodders.

Made room for 1 more on the senior list.

If no-one bids on special fried rice we'll have a reasonable pick to play with.
Mitch Brown and stop the Injectors getting him maybe.

In response to the whole 'Matho and why would he slide if he is any good' debate. Im a big believer that this years draft, and its lack of depth, has effected the way most clubs plan to draft. In the past, most of the first round was a 'best player available' situation. In this draft, due to some players not performing up to expectations and other concerns, the first 5 players (including academy players) are on a best player available situation, but the next 15 player are very even.

This means that many clubs may looking at players that fit needs a lot earlier than in most drafts, and this should begin with Richmond's pick. Richmond will most likely go for either Matho or Oliver, they need a contested ball winner and quickly!

But for the saints this is a problem. We are looking for explosive outside run, but there is very little of it across this draft as a whole, leaving us with two choices:
1. pick the player that slides which we rank highest, regardless of there position (at minimum this would put us in a better trading position next year as we may have an inside player or half pack to burn). This could be Matho, Tucker or Gresham and all could be a great pick.
2. We pick up a highly talented player that could be something amazing. This could be a Burton or a Hibberd who could be anything and regardless of there position, could be a star.

Personally I would love Hibberd, he fills a need and could be a great player. I also like Matho, who if we get, we could then trade on one of our inside players next year for our needs.

I agree.
People think that because we need a fast outside mid who can break the lines this is what we should take in the draft.
However if that player isn't in the draft, we can end up taking a high risk option that never achieves anything.
I really like the sound of Hibberd's skills, and because he's not a key player or a highly sought after mid, he could actually slide a bit.
Could he be the next Sam Fisher?
Ohhh but we have Shenton who can play that role.

198cm. What a surprise :rolleyes:
From my mate Takle's PD last year...

39. Greater Western Sydney – Sean McLaren (Sandringham Dragons)
Height: 197 cm
Weight: 92 kg
Player Comparison: Jackson Trengove

McLaren is a versatile tall who can play through the ruck and at both ends of the ground. I like McLaren as a tall defender, who can hold down a key defensive post but can pinch hit in the ruck, like Port’s Jackson Trengove. While his defensive game is still developing, he has shown great promise here, using his long arms to reach in and spoil and reads the ball well in the air to take intercept marks. He doesn’t provide much when his team is attacking but as a defender you are more concerned with your players beating their man first, which is what McLaren does. He is quite a capable ruckman, and his taps are generally to advantage and he follows up well. He is a player for the future and one that can be developed a number of ways.

And the vision;
http://m.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-22/draft-prospect-sean-mclaren

Now 198cm 93kg, he's a local (Beauy) boy. I reckon he'd be great depth. :thumbsu:

I saw lots of Mitch Brown for Sandy and he was excellent at that level.

Cons:
Tried before at AFL level and didn't work out.
VFL is a false guide at the ability of a player at AFL level

Pros:
Fully fit at Sandy for the first time in years.
Genuine swingman at Sandy. Versatile

Usually not a huge wrap for re-drafting failed AFL players from the VFL, however Brown's form and the fact that he is fully fit tends to let me believe that it is a risk well worth taking if we can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From my mate Takle's PD last year...

39. Greater Western Sydney – Sean McLaren (Sandringham Dragons)
Height: 197 cm
Weight: 92 kg
Player Comparison: Jackson Trengove

McLaren is a versatile tall who can play through the ruck and at both ends of the ground. I like McLaren as a tall defender, who can hold down a key defensive post but can pinch hit in the ruck, like Port’s Jackson Trengove. While his defensive game is still developing, he has shown great promise here, using his long arms to reach in and spoil and reads the ball well in the air to take intercept marks. He doesn’t provide much when his team is attacking but as a defender you are more concerned with your players beating their man first, which is what McLaren does. He is quite a capable ruckman, and his taps are generally to advantage and he follows up well. He is a player for the future and one that can be developed a number of ways.
He just got delisted from a team with aging defenders after one year on the rookie list.

If he was any good Sydney would've kept him.

He just got delisted from a team with aging defenders after one year on the rookie list.

If he was any good Sydney would've kept him.
And kept Xav Richards - who's hopeless - so you can't always back their recruiting managers...

Not suggesting we throw the kitchen sink at him, but big blokes don't always mature early.

He's a worthy choice IMO.

Surely we'd be happy if the AFL, as some form of compensation for being messed around over Carlisle, ensured we got Bailey Rice to St Kilda without going into deficit for next year. I'd be happy with that.

And kept Xav Richards - who's hopeless - so you can't always back their recruiting managers...

Not suggesting we throw the kitchen sink at him, but big blokes don't always mature early.

He's a worthy choice IMO.
Well usually you'd keep the contracted spud and delist the Uncontracted spud first.

Seriously, if he was any good they would've kept him on the rookie list of all places.

I saw lots of Mitch Brown for Sandy and he was excellent at that level.

Cons:
Tried before at AFL level and didn't work out.
VFL is a false guide at the ability of a player at AFL level

Pros:
Fully fit at Sandy for the first time in years.
Genuine swingman at Sandy. Versatile

Usually not a huge wrap for re-drafting failed AFL players from the VFL, however Brown's form and the fact that he is fully fit tends to let me believe that it is a risk well worth taking if we can.
From what I saw at VFL level, he seemed a better player than all the St.Kilda talls that were playing week in week out

Let's not forget Pick 68 will be moved up after academy/Fatherson are out the way.

So maybe, assuming it isn't needed on Rice we plan on using that?

Either way it's thrown something up for us to discuss. Started getting a little slow in here!

It's ridiculous that these days if a kid doesn't come out and destroy the competition in their first year or two then lots of people seem to write them off.

Players who were nominated for Rising Star 2002
Steven Armstrong
Paul Medhurst
Jason Cloke
Xavier Clarke
David Rodan
Shane Birss
Mark McGough
Nick Ries

Players who were not nominated for Rising Star 2002 or 2003
Gary Ablett
David Hale
Nick DalSanto
Steve Johnson
Dane Swan
Brian Lake

So it was Saunders, not TC. Had to be one of those two. Really like this move, as after his last game for us, when he had about 2 possessions, I think Josh's papers would have been stamped, so this allows us to grab someone who might have a future with us in the spot he vacates.

Likely to grab a "project player" in the draft I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back