2016 Draft Thread - The Rebuild Begins

If available, which player do you want us to select at pick 7?

• Sam Petrevski-Seton

Votes: 123 45.6%
  • Tim English

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Ben Ainsworth

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Tim Taranto

Votes: 27 10.0%
  • Griffin Logue

Votes: 43 15.9%
  • Todd Marshall

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Jack Scrimshaw

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Josh Rotham

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Oliver Florent

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Cedric Cox

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Sam Powell-Pepper lasts to pick 35 is he worth a shot? From what I've seen he looks like a good player and tested well at the draft camp yet seems to not be in anyones top 20.

I still want SPS at 7. I won't be devastated if we pick English because SPS isn't available but I'd still rather give Logue a shot, can see him being better then Ibbo in his prime years. Worst case he could slip in to Spurrs/Sutcliffes role as he develops.

If Sam Powell-Pepper lasts to pick 35 is he worth a shot? From what I've seen he looks like a good player and tested well at the draft camp yet seems to not be in anyones top 20.

I still want SPS at 7. I won't be devastated if we pick English because SPS isn't available but I'd still rather give Logue a shot, can see him being better then Ibbo in his prime years. Worst case he could slip in to Spurrs/Sutcliffes role as he develops.

I think SPP has been under rated because of a perception that he is a poor kick. He is no worse than Dangerfield in that skill.

I think SPP has been under rated because of a perception that he is a poor kick. He is no worse than Dangerfield in that skill.

In the games I watched I actually thought his kicking was quite neat...A lot of the sprays are a result of his bull at a gate/smash the pack and run style.

I think that can be smoothed out...if he was there at 35, I'd be all over him

I think Powell-Pepper is one of the safest WA based picks.
Has the right attitude, and body built for round 1.
Will excel at half forward where is goal kicking will be a strength and field kicking less of a liablity.
I think he's similar to Morabito in his first year.

I think Powell-Pepper is one of the safest WA based picks.
Has the right attitude, and body built for round 1.
Will excel at half forward where is goal kicking will be a strength and field kicking less of a liablity.
I think he's similar to Morabito in his first year.
I thought West Coast would get him, he would win the rising star, then their forward line would drop off in marking ability and he would "suddenly" look like he rushes the ball onto the boot a bit.

If SPP is still around at our second pick AFL recruiters need to have a good hard look at themselves. He should be gone by 25 at the absolute latest, surely. I can even see WC going a tad early on him. He's exactly what they need. Add him to Mitchell, Gaff, Shuey and Priddis and look out!

He projects as a Martin with slightly less polish, or as Clem says, a Dangerfield type mid.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SPP will be highly unlikely to fall freo's way. Firstly unless freo pull a freo and draft him at pick 7 (passing on English, SPS, Logue, ect) I cannot see him sliding all the way down to pick 35. Secondly if we do the fan favorite idea of drafting SPS then there is no way there will be room for him in the team considering it'll be a squeeze to fit SPS in let alone another similar position player (high forward/midfielder).

Doesn't appear to be any love for Jack Scrimshaw. Been played mainly in defence but 193cm and moves like a Dyson Heppell/Pendles Would be perfect getting that ball out of defence and looked much cleaner than Logue who I think would be a reach at 7.

From memory, neither dominated 18's like SPP did. Nor did they perform anywhere near as well at the draft camp. Despite the lower level of upside I just can't see the comparison.
Suban was named in the TAC cup team of the year in both 2007 and 2008, not sure about Robinson

Doesn't appear to be any love for Jack Scrimshaw. Been played mainly in defence but 193cm and moves like a Dyson Heppell/Pendles Would be perfect getting that ball out of defence and looked much cleaner than Logue who I think would be a reach at 7.
Schrimshaw isn't west aussie - we couldn't possibly consider drafting an elite talent from another state! SPS, English, Logue, or SPP is all we can choose from o_O

Schrimshaw isn't west aussie - we couldn't possibly consider drafting an elite talent from another state! SPS, English, Logue, or SPP is all we can choose from o_O

That's not the deciding factor but all things being equal you take the West Aussie.

For example if McSuitCase fell our way, I don't think the draft team would go 'aww shit he's failed the west of Eucla test'

From memory, neither dominated 18's like SPP did. Nor did they perform anywhere near as well at the draft camp. Despite the lower level of upside I just can't see the comparison.
Suban captained the Rebels and Vic Country u18s, and was u18 AA and TAC cup team of the year in 07 and 08. Won a rising star nomination in his debut year - and has flatlined ever since.

It's probably an apt comparison

Word is that GC are certain to take him with one of their two picks before 7 and Carlton are also keen at 5.

If Ainsworth and SPS are gone and Scrimshaw happens to be available to us, we should take him for sure. Looks great!

Last edited:
Suban captained the Rebels and Vic Country u18s, and was u18 AA and TAC cup team of the year in 07 and 08. Won a rising star nomination in his debut year - and has flatlined ever since.

It's probably an apt comparison

I've always said my memory is shit these days! Thanks Arcassius.

As there is confusion in regard to whom we should take at 7-The best option may be some one ask opinion of "Phil Smart" the recruiting manager for freo during 2009 draft :) .When Mark Harvey was dead against recruiting Fyfe as he was slim built, Phil Smart was adament that he will take Fyfe. Atlast he won and the decision became a success...Look like he is farsighted :)

As there is confusion in regard to whom we should take at 7-The best option may be some one ask opinion of "Phil Smart" the recruiting manager for freo during 2009 draft :) .When Mark Harvey was dead against recruiting Fyfe as he was slim built, Phil Smart was adament that he will take Fyfe. Atlast he won and the decision became a success...Look like he is farsighted :)
During that time fyfe is more of a forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back