2016 Draft Thread - The Rebuild Begins

If available, which player do you want us to select at pick 7?

• Sam Petrevski-Seton

Votes: 123 45.6%
  • Tim English

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Ben Ainsworth

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Tim Taranto

Votes: 27 10.0%
  • Griffin Logue

Votes: 43 15.9%
  • Todd Marshall

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Jack Scrimshaw

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Josh Rotham

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Oliver Florent

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Cedric Cox

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just get english and play him as mid/ruck :D for peel .

Just get english and play him as mid/ruck :D for peel .

That would hurt English's development and you need to prepare him for seniors by playing the role he will play there. You can only have 4x ruckman on a list and two need to be capable of playing as a forward.

It is interesting regarding how many rucks you can have on a list especially with having an aligned team, and seems to be the biggest consequence of it.

And trying to convince Naismith or Smith to come to WA? You have been watching how diffivult it has been to trade in anon WA native KPP.......

The rest are worse than Clarke.

A decent ruck like Hickey would cost a first rounder anyway.
I'd say we don't really know if it's hard to lure a ruck to WA because we've had Sandi as our #1 for ages and therefore haven't had an attractive #1 ruck spot open (and Clarke and Griffin have also been decent backups). I don't think it is as hard to shift a ruck as it is to shift a quality KPP. There are only 18 primary ruck spots and players want opportunities and will generally move for them. I think the situation with KPPs is a bit different because there are far more KPP spots around and the players we have targeted in the past would get opportunities at any club they went to. And we've dodged some massive bullets by some not being willing to move.

We'll likely play Clarke as our #1 once Sandi retires. If he struggles then our #1 ruck spot effectively opens and we go into the following trade period with that opportunity for any backup rucks out there. Zac Smith went to the #1 spot @ Geelong because it was open. Nankervis went to Richmond because it is also opening (Maric is done). We might be the only club (or at least the most attractive) with the #1 spot opening shortly, so Naismith or another decent up-and-coming ruck might get excited by the opportunity.

Whether we get English, Olango, Lynch, Goddard or whoever else, and I suspect we will definitely draft a ruck prospect this draft (and probably one next year also), it's going to take quite a while for them to become a better option than Clarke imo. I get the sense most rucks (just like most KPFs) start to become capable around the 23/24yo mark, so that's 4-5 years of development we likely have to wait. But if Clarke (or a traded in ruck) sees us through the gap it could all work out to be good timing.

I'd say we don't really know if it's hard to lure a ruck to WA because we've had Sandi as our #1 for ages and therefore haven't had an attractive #1 ruck spot open (and Clarke and Griffin have also been decent backups). I don't think it is as hard to shift a ruck as it is to shift a quality KPP. There are only 18 primary ruck spots and players want opportunities and will generally move for them. I think the situation with KPPs is a bit different because there are far more KPP spots around and the players we have targeted in the past would get opportunities at any club they went to. And we've dodged some massive bullets by some not being willing to move.

We'll likely play Clarke as our #1 once Sandi retires. If he struggles then our #1 ruck spot effectively opens and we go into the following trade period with that opportunity for any backup rucks out there. Zac Smith went to the #1 spot @ Geelong because it was open. Nankervis went to Richmond because it is also opening (Maric is done). We might be the only club (or at least the most attractive) with the #1 spot opening shortly, so Naismith or another decent up-and-coming ruck might get excited by the opportunity.

Whether we get English, Olango, Lynch, Goddard or whoever else, and I suspect we will definitely draft a ruck prospect this draft (and probably one next year also), it's going to take quite a while for them to become a better option than Clarke imo. I get the sense most rucks (just like most KPFs) start to become capable around the 23/24yo mark, so that's 4-5 years of development we likely have to wait. But if Clarke (or a traded in ruck) sees us through the gap it could all work out to be good timing.

That's what confuses me about selecting English because 'needs'. Even best case scenario we will need a ruck for the next 5ish years anyway.

SPS/Ainsworth could start in the forward pocket next year.

I disagree, First year players can have a big impact. Dunkley, Mills, Papley etc prove this point.

Only Mills was drafted inside the top 25. There was also plenty of players who didn't play much that were drafted within the top 20. Doesn't really matter where they're drafted but you probably need a few new players coming through each year (forget those 1-2 game types, I mean 10+ games types). Higher picks just increase their chances. We already have four new blokes, Bennell and Balic coming in. No issue drafting English if he really is that much better than the rest of the rucks. We'll have those new players and probably a mature ager or two coming in. English if picked will still play around five games IMO.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only Mills was drafted inside the top 25. There was also plenty of players who didn't play much that were drafted within the top 20. Doesn't really matter where they're drafted but you probably need a few new players coming through each year (forget those 1-2 game types, I mean 10+ games types). Higher picks just increase their chances. We already have four new blokes, Bennell and Balic coming in. No issue drafting English if he really is that much better than the rest of the rucks. We'll have those new players and probably a mature ager or two coming in. English if picked will still play around five games IMO.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Couldn't see English playing a game while Sandi is fit imo. His marking even in the U-18s is a real weakness so not sure you could play him as a second ruck/KPF.

I think SP-S could play round one next year and we don't lose a whole lot out of the middle, sitting third behind Neale and Fyfe, swapping with Blakely and letting Mundy play behind the ball.
Agree with this, he is ready made

Would be one of the first ready made picks we have made in a while though, would be interesting to see if he got played by the match comittee

I think SP-S could play round one next year and we don't lose a whole lot out of the middle, sitting third behind Neale and Fyfe, swapping with Blakely and letting Mundy play behind the ball.
The way you describe sps , i think freo will give him a miss at 7 ;). Or totally mistake s with p.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I think the chance of SPS being available at #7 is pretty slim. It might even be better if Brisbane didn't bid on Bowes @ #3 but Carlton did @ #5, as I could see GCS considering their choice of Brodie or Scrimshaw @ #4 before Carlton might pick one of them. Forgetting possible bids on GWS players...

ESS - McCluggage
GWS - McGrath
GCS - Bowes (matched bid)
BRI - Ainsworth
CAR - Brodie/Scrimshaw
GCS - SPS/Scrimshaw/English
FRE - English/SPS/Scrimshaw/Taranto/Logue

vs

ESS - McCluggage
GWS - McGrath
BRI - Ainsworth
GCS - Brodie/Scrimshaw/SPS
CAR - Taranto/Brodie/Scrimshaw
FRE - SPS/English/Taranto/Scrimshaw/Logue

Then something completely different happens and we choose Marshall or Florent...

Yep. I think morabito was the last time anyone really guessed who we were going to pick with our 1st

Yep. This whole English/SPS or bust has come from media speculation.

It's not unreasonable, SPS is the highest rated W.A. talent and English is a local lad who addresses a deficiency in our list. That said, it's hardly a fait accompli.

Unfortunately I think the chance of SPS being available at #7 is pretty slim. It might even be better if Brisbane didn't bid on Bowes @ #3 but Carlton did @ #5, as I could see GCS considering their choice of Brodie or Scrimshaw @ #4 before Carlton might pick one of them. Forgetting possible bids on GWS players...

ESS - McCluggage
GWS - McGrath
BRI - Ainsworth
CAR - Brodie/Scrimshaw
GCS - SPS/Scrimshaw/English
FRE - English/SPS/Scrimshaw/Taranto/Logue

vs

ESS - McCluggage
GWS - McGrath
BRI - Ainsworth
GCS - Brodie/Scrimshaw/SPS
CAR - Taranto/Brodie/Scrimshaw
FRE - SPS/English/Taranto/Scrimshaw/Logue

Then something completely different happens and we choose Marshall or Florent...

What's the chances that Brisbane and GC had a handshake on not bidding on Bowes with the Hanley trade?

I can't see why GC wouldn't propose the idea because it wouldn't hurt Brisbane by not bidding if GC are always going to match it.

I disagree, First year players can have a big impact. Dunkley, Mills, Papley etc prove this point.
You missed the point.

Will these players be the best players from the draft in 5 years? They why should we be drafting players who will the best player in their first year but the best player over the long haul.

If a player isn't ready to make an impact in their first year but is destined to be best in the long haul you take them. On your criteria Palmer was our best pick because of his first year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back