2016 Draft Thread - The Rebuild Begins

If available, which player do you want us to select at pick 7?

• Sam Petrevski-Seton

Votes: 123 45.6%
  • Tim English

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Ben Ainsworth

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Tim Taranto

Votes: 27 10.0%
  • Griffin Logue

Votes: 43 15.9%
  • Todd Marshall

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Jack Scrimshaw

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Josh Rotham

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Oliver Florent

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Cedric Cox

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that's the case I hope it will be Todd Marshall as I believe this young guy will be a gun.
Agreed. Has only played 1 year of serious footy. Before that he was a national junior off spinner (go figure). Has massive potential.

He's kind of the opposite of English. More a fwd/ruck than ruck/fwd (actually , no idea if he can ruck - sandi can teach him)

2m ish tall, takes a great grab, can kick off both feet, fast and can slot goals from 50+m.

Serviceable rucks can be picked up anywhere (within reason). Gun forwards are hard to find - freo has been looking for 10 years.
#marshallinpurple

Now I'm curious as to
a) Who voted other
b) If you didnt want any of those players there, who do you possibly want (unfortunately I think McCluggage may not slip to us)????
I voted Ainsworth. But thought Berry and Sympkin were stiff to miss out on being included in the poll. Likely to be picked ahead of the last 3 mentioned.

That's what confuses me about selecting English because 'needs'. Even best case scenario we will need a ruck for the next 5ish years anyway.

SPS/Ainsworth could start in the forward pocket next year.
love a classy small forward. Hope Apeness can drop them some crumbs. Mind you Ainsworth may leap right over Apeness and grab it himself.

Can anyone tell me why we're not starting pre season till the 21st? It seems a bit late considering Carlton have already started.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we need a new Training thread?

I'm done worrying about our first pick. We are guaranteed of several good players being available at our pick including most probably all but a couple of Brodie, SPS, Taranto, English, Scrimshaw, Logue, Marshall, Florent...

My dream that Cedric Cox and/or Josh Rotham slide to our 2nd pick is fantasy land stuff so am getting on the Sam Walker train myself as I think we need to use our 2nd pick on a quality half back. Might not even make it to us but if he does I think he'd be ideal at #35. Other half back options for #35/#40 might be Jordan Ridley, Taylin Duman, Bailey Morrish, Harry Morrison. Possibly Ryan Garthwaite or Isaac Cumming but sometimes I think the academy players are overrated due to the extra exposure they get - and possibly the opposite for the SA prospects.

ruckmen max lynch what is his draft range?

Breaking a jaw and also being reported for striking in the same game? Saying he only elbowed the kid high as he ducked a bit. Being thought of as arrogant on the AIS tour. That strikes me as someone who will not be a team player and we will struggle to hold onto in WA. And these stories are meant to paint them in a good light.

Impressive kid.

Nephew of Andrew Vlahov, maybe a couple extra cms left to go.

Would not be upset at all if we ended up with Logue.
Yes he seems terrific.

We traded our future 2nd rounder to have an extra pick in this draft in a bit of a sweet-spot from what I can see. This draft is talked about as being deep, especially for midfielders. A strategy I like would be to go early on a player such as Logue (or English) in the knowledge that there will be decent mids available for our later picks.

Finding quality talls is significantly more difficult than getting decent midfielders. They get taken early, and while we have had success trading in talls this pre-season McCarthy is the only one that is likely to approach A Grade.

SPP will be highly unlikely to fall freo's way. Firstly unless freo pull a freo and draft him at pick 7 (passing on English, SPS, Logue, ect) I cannot see him sliding all the way down to pick 35. Secondly if we do the fan favorite idea of drafting SPS then there is no way there will be room for him in the team considering it'll be a squeeze to fit SPS in let alone another similar position player (high forward/midfielder).
Out of curiosity who do you rate higher SPS or SPP, I've heard SPS is a long way of playing afl

I'm picking the momentum we've established in the trade period will continue and whoever we chuck in the cab at seven will be sharing the fare with an attacking backman and a ruck I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back