2016 Draft Thread - The Rebuild Begins

If available, which player do you want us to select at pick 7?

• Sam Petrevski-Seton

Votes: 123 45.6%
  • Tim English

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Ben Ainsworth

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Tim Taranto

Votes: 27 10.0%
  • Griffin Logue

Votes: 43 15.9%
  • Todd Marshall

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Jack Scrimshaw

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Josh Rotham

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Oliver Florent

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Cedric Cox

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why won't Scrimshaw? And its 7
thanks for that correction okay the comparison say with Bontempelli is unrealistic given how they both played and were at the same age Bontempelli far more mercurial and flexible in his body movement and quick disposal.....Scrimshaw is okay .... I think Twomey has him about right but I don't agree at all he is a potential midfield pffft no not at all but kp in back yes

Freo love their mature age pick ups and Luke Ryan is a gem, around the mark for our pick 35 or pick 40. Sydney are reportedly very keen and may reach with pick 19.

Luke Ryan (Coburg)
Height: 185cm
Weight: 86kg
Position: Half-back/Midfielder

From Foxsports:
2016 VFL average numbers: Averaged 9.4 intercept possessions per match (No. 1 in the VFL), while he took 41 intercept marks from 10 games. His kicking efficiency of 86 per cent was the highest of anyone in the VFL to average over 15 disposals.

THE most likely — almost the biggest certainty, really — to find an AFL club next year via the VFL is Ryan, who couldn’t have produced a better 2016 campaign. So highly-rated was Ryan that he was invited straight to the national AFL draft combine, but didn’t test as he was recovering from a shoulder injury. After missing out in 2014 (his draft year), Ryan returned to local footy, where he regained the love of the game. And after making Coburg’s list ahead of the 2016 season, Ryan has made the most of every opportunity, named in the back pocket of the VFL team of the year and winning the Fothergill — Round Medal as the most promising young talent in the competition. He’s everything an AFL club wants in a modern-day defender: A great interceptor and overhead mark, a good ball-distributor, great decision-maker and, of course, a strong ability to defend. He could go as early as the second round.

http://coburgfc.com.au/ryan-taking-chances-hands/

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...l/news-story/a50a6e6bff4bd6ab301ede5a6b94db55

Are there any Swan Districts fans who've seen Logue live? Would like to know the inside scoop on his ability to play as a mid.
I spoke to my mate who used to play wafl yesterday about logue, he's seen a fair bit of him. He wasn't a big fan, reckons he doesn't have that natural footy instinct/brain.

I'm now on the Logue bandwagon after seeing that 7 sport profile.
Fantastic work ethic and athletic ability and I love the way he plucks it in the air.
Very impressive.
(Assuming SPS isn't going to make it to 7)
Still think we will probably take English if he's on the board.

I really don't want English

Yes we need a ruck and he might be a good long term pick plus fill a need but when you get your first top ten pick in ages I'd rather best available
......strange post. Best available is somehow not English? Why? Is it because he is tall, or perhaps his position?

I reckon if Freo were that keen for SPS then we wouldn't have done that trade with GWS. Freo and GC are the two clubs most into English, so get ready to have his name called out on draft day.

Would love to know if Bond and Lloyd have already got into Jack Martin's ear about coming to Freo next year, which will allow us to pick up Logue and negate the need for SPS. I'd still be happy with SPS though.

Yes. I was told last year that he was homesick. He's a definite chance.

Guy McKenna screwed up hard. Apparently he didn't like it when the boys contacted their families.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo love their mature age pick ups and Luke Ryan is a gem, around the mark for our pick 35 or pick 40. Sydney are reportedly very keen and may reach with pick 19.

Luke Ryan (Coburg)
Height: 185cm
Weight: 86kg
Position: Half-back/Midfielder

From Foxsports:
2016 VFL average numbers: Averaged 9.4 intercept possessions per match (No. 1 in the VFL), while he took 41 intercept marks from 10 games. His kicking efficiency of 86 per cent was the highest of anyone in the VFL to average over 15 disposals.

THE most likely — almost the biggest certainty, really — to find an AFL club next year via the VFL is Ryan, who couldn’t have produced a better 2016 campaign. So highly-rated was Ryan that he was invited straight to the national AFL draft combine, but didn’t test as he was recovering from a shoulder injury. After missing out in 2014 (his draft year), Ryan returned to local footy, where he regained the love of the game. And after making Coburg’s list ahead of the 2016 season, Ryan has made the most of every opportunity, named in the back pocket of the VFL team of the year and winning the Fothergill — Round Medal as the most promising young talent in the competition. He’s everything an AFL club wants in a modern-day defender: A great interceptor and overhead mark, a good ball-distributor, great decision-maker and, of course, a strong ability to defend. He could go as early as the second round.

http://coburgfc.com.au/ryan-taking-chances-hands/

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...l/news-story/a50a6e6bff4bd6ab301ede5a6b94db55

Even if the Swans don't reach for him, another team will. I expect him to be pick in the early second round, if not earlier.

How good is Jy Simpkin? Hard to judge due to his lack f footy this year but I've heard he was rated every bit as good as Ainsworth before breaking his leg.

We've taken some punts with our first picks when they've been later in the round, it'll be interesting to see if we do the same this year or play ultra safe.

My preferred pick at No7 is Griffin Logue only because SPS will be gone. I would be happy if we could snare Zac Sproule or Brennan Cox with our next pick.

Love your thinking.

I think that both Sproule and B Cox will be gone by our pick 35.
If freo not taking english i think a lot of changes will be happening . Especially if english drop to late first rd or early second.

Sorry to hear you're taking the critisizm so hard Mrs English ...
haha. He isn't my choice. Just amuses me how naive posters are. The posts I am responding to don't actually contain criticism do they? What they do is state as fact that he is not best available. That he is a reach. That selecting him is a needs based pick, like we should prefer a type of player we don't need.

Most drafts I read rate English extremely highly.

* by the way, is calling me Mrs supposed to be an insult? tsk tsk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back