2016 Draft Thread - The Rebuild Begins

If available, which player do you want us to select at pick 7?

• Sam Petrevski-Seton

Votes: 123 45.6%
  • Tim English

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Ben Ainsworth

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Tim Taranto

Votes: 27 10.0%
  • Griffin Logue

Votes: 43 15.9%
  • Todd Marshall

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Jack Scrimshaw

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Josh Rotham

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Oliver Florent

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Cedric Cox

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What list? I would rather take a low risk at that pick. If English becomes your average ruck then Freo could pick up a ruckman at a later pick instead of burning it at 7.
Fair enough. Again with the Hill analogy, there were safer picks, with lower upside, but Hill the better choice with a high draft pick. Going to be plenty of low risk options later.

Goddard is perhaps the local young ruck who comes closest to having dominated under 18s but isn't even in the conversation at that pick. Clearly their are other criteria.

Last edited:
Fair enough. Again with the Hill analogy, there were safer picks, with lower upside, but Hill the better choice with a high draft pick. Going to be plenty of low risk options later.

Goddard is perhaps the local young ruck who comes closest to having dominated under 18s but isn't even in the conversation at that pick. Clearly their are other criteria.

I loved the aggression Goddard showed in the State U18's which has been one of the knocks on his game that he does show enough aggression for such a big man (202cm 101kgs). His ruck work is very good, but needs to do more work around the ground with his marking.

I really like Peter Ladhams (202cm 94kgs), his tap work is very good, and probably more athletic than Goddard.

Jordan Sweet (201cm 101kgs) is the other one who was highly rated at the start of the season but dropped off a little.

There are definitely good ruck options later in the draft or as a rookie, but I have the feeling we will choose English if he is available for our first pick.

As with any of the teenage rucks they are all very raw and despite some of them possessing a physically more mature body they all will need to develop their game (and body) over the next couple of years.

Anyone else have a funny feeling we may grab Sam Powell-Pepper with pick 35?
Would love it as IMO I think he will be a very good player once his kicking improved but don't think he will last to us.

Another guy who at the start of the year was looking like a top 10 prospect but has dropped of dramatically and is expected be available for our second pick is Harrison Macreadie (196cm 90kgs) and we'd certainly want to have a good look at him if that was the case. Very versatile as he has played mostly as a midfielder but could be one of those players that can perform solidly in several positions without being proficient in any particular position.

Another guy who at the start of the year was looking like a top 10 prospect but has dropped of dramatically and is expected be available for our second pick is Harrison Macreadie (196cm 90kgs) and we'd certainly want to have a good look at him if that was the case. Very versatile as he has played mostly as a midfielder but could be one of those players that can perform solidly in several positions without being proficient in any particular position.
I'd definitely bid on him at #35, and Sproule too. Think the bids for both will come earlier and they'll match for both though.

I think the Weags will get him before us.
That is of course if someone doesnt bid on Jake Waterman before their second pick, in that case they would be forced to use their second pick on Waterman if they wanted him. would love the team with the selection before the Eagles to bid on Waterman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I loved the aggression Goddard showed in the State U18's which has been one of the knocks on his game that he does show enough aggression for such a big man (202cm 101kgs). His ruck work is very good, but needs to do more work around the ground with his marking.

I really like Peter Ladhams (202cm 94kgs), his tap work is very good, and probably more athletic than Goddard.

Jordan Sweet (201cm 101kgs) is the other one who was highly rated at the start of the season but dropped off a little.

There are definitely good ruck options later in the draft or as a rookie, but I have the feeling we will choose English if he is available for our first pick.

As with any of the teenage rucks they are all very raw and despite some of them possessing a physically more mature body they all will need to develop their game (and body) over the next couple of years.
What is it about English that has you predicting that?

What list? I would rather take a low risk at that pick. If English becomes your average ruck then Freo could pick up a ruckman at a later pick instead of burning it at 7.
This is absolutely spot on.

Freo can have a Peterevski-Seaton/Taranto/Brodie elite mid and then pick a Goddard/Lynch later.

We've just delisted Barlow, Grey, Deluca, Mzungu, C Pearce, DeBoer and Morobito, who are all mids (and Mundy is 31).

The Bulldogs just won a Premiership without even playing a ruckman. Elite mids win you games.

This is absolutely spot on.

Freo can have a Peterevski-Seaton/Taranto/Brodie elite mid and then pick a Goddard/Lynch later.

We've just delisted Barlow, Grey, Deluca, Mzungu, C Pearce, DeBoer and Morobito, who are all mids (and Mundy is 31).

The Bulldogs just won a Premiership without even playing a ruckman. Elite mids win you games.
Spot on

Makes me laugh, the kid won't make 50 games. It's easy to push around kids when you are a man child. He is a very poor man Martin.
He will look great when his hack kicks forward are to a contest or a mark, their forward line is quite good - when they lose Kennedy he will be a ball burning, can't-hit-a-barn-door, out of bounds for a throw-in at forward pocket sort of player.

We've also just seen what happens when you dont have enough quality talls and a functioning forward line.
Yep - When Boyd went into the ruck it left Dogs with Dickson (184cm) as their main 'tall'. He kicked 3 and they won the premiership. Must get the talent in first, then worry about how many centimeters they are.

Don't get me wrong, English will be a fine ruckman from what I've seen (All Stars game aside where he stunk up the place), but if you had a choice between Scott Pendlebury or Josh Fraser, you pick Pendlebury every day of the week.

Yep - When Boyd went into the ruck it left Dogs with Dickson (184cm) as their main 'tall'. He kicked 3 and they won the premiership. Must get the talent in first, then worry about how many centimeters they are.

Don't get me wrong, English will be a fine ruckman from what I've seen (All Stars game aside where he stunk up the place), but if you had a choice between Scott Pendlebury or Josh Fraser, you pick Pendlebury every day of the week.

That's the point hey. Fraser or Pendlebury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back