List Mgmt. 2016 Father Son Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Daicos still remains my favourite player. Watching his kids play for us would really be wonderful.

You can rest easy if we want them they're ours. What it really comes down to is a question of the lengths we're prepared to go to in order to achieve that.

Thanks mate but that requires more effort than I am currently able to muster. Yes or no is needed.

Every pick has a value ie pick 10 is 1,395 points.

So we need to make up 1395 - 20% points from our picks. Needing 1,116 points to get him at pick 10.

Lets say that is his bid pick 10, and lets say we finish where we are now on the ladder which gives us 8, 26, 44, 62.

8 = 1,551 (Gone to GWS)

Leaving:

26 = 729
44 = 362
62 = 123

Total of 1,211 points. Any un-used points moves that last pick used down the draft order in this case 96 points left over which leaves us with pick 65 in the draft.

The problem is if Brown jnr also is rated say 2nd round bid we then need to find the points through trades to acquire both.

So we need to make up 1395 - 20% points from our picks. Needing 1,116 points to get him at pick 10.

Lets say that is his bid pick 10, and lets say we finish where we are now on the ladder which gives us 8, 26, 44, 62.

8 = 1,551 (Gone to GWS)

Leaving:

26 = 729
44 = 362
62 = 123

Total of 1,211 points. Any un-used points moves that last pick used down the draft order in this case 96 points left over which leaves us with pick 65 in the draft.

The problem is if Brown jnr also is rated say 2nd round bid we then need to find the points through trades to acquire both.
"If a Nominating Club does not have enough points to secure a F/S or Academy selection in a given Draft, the points required will carry over to the Club’s first selection the following year."

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/Father-son-bidding-system.pdf

Yeah so u would risk a top 10 pick the next year for a 2nd rounder??
Swings and roundabouts, under your scenario we'd be getting a first round Daicos for a handful of later picks and if we had to use next years 1st rounder for a 2nd round Brown we'd get a 2nd round pick back. Next years points would be taken out before trade period, so if we held 2x 2nd round picks going in we should be able to move back up the draft anyway.

We could also try to jump the bidding this year by trading our 2017 1st round pick for a 2016 1st round pick higher than an anticipated bid. This would ensure any left over points are taken from our 2017 2nd round pick.

Swings and roundabouts, under your scenario we'd be getting a first round Daicos for a handful of later picks and if we had to use next years 1st rounder for a 2nd round Brown we'd get a 2nd round pick back. Next years points would be taken out before trade period, so if we held 2x 2nd round picks going in we should be able to move back up the draft anyway.

We could also try to jump the bidding this year by trading our 2017 1st round pick for a 2016 1st round pick higher than an anticipated bid. This would ensure any left over points are taken from our 2017 2nd round pick.

Be much easier to trade for a 2nd round pick this year and keep hold of next years 1st.

every year we seem to be trading some one, so I guess the same will happen this year so we will get
the points we need with out dipping into next year if they both go high in the draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would just be nice to have a year where we don't trade players out or have a massive turn over.
I doubt that will be the case this year. Witts is looking like surplus, and Broomhead is still unsigned beyond 2016. In an ideal world we retain Broomy and get a late first/early second for Witts if he decides to move on.

It would just be nice to have a year where we don't trade players out or have a massive turn over.
agree, but there are always players who want to go else where for opportunity

Who knows we might get a good one

Ah, so much guess work

Hopefully they grow a good 5cm after we draft them to make a later pick more likely at the draft.

EFA

I'm not as worried about their height, there will always be a place for footballers with pace and skills.

Last edited:

8 = 1,551 (Gone to GWS)

Leaving:

26 = 729
44 = 362
62 = 123

Thanks Loki.
Nice maths by the way.

I understand where you're coming from but I'm thinking the opposite. I think we need to keep going.. our list needs much more strengthening and we are going to need to trade out some players to get back into the draft. It's too late to pull out of this now.. the list isn't good enough. I'd be throwing up a whole bunch of names.. Goldsack, Toovey, McCaffer, Blair, Witts, Frost, White, Gault. The rationale being that I can't see any of these guys featuring in a future Collingwood premiership team.

I understand where you're coming from but I'm thinking the opposite. I think we need to keep going.. our list needs much more strengthening and we are going to need to trade out some players to get back into the draft. It's too late to pull out of this now.. the list isn't good enough. I'd be throwing up a whole bunch of names.. Goldsack, Toovey, McCaffer, Blair, Witts, Frost, White, Gault. The rationale being that I can't see any of these guys featuring in a future Collingwood premiership team.
Currency would be an issue with those guys. Wouldn't see much hope of getting anything worthwhile for Toovey, McCaffer, White and Gault, who are all a decent chance of getting delisted once their contracts are up. I think the others stay until forced out of the team by younger players

True but you need to be aware of our list profile.
Don't we have the 4th tallest list in the league or something along those lines?

We have Pendles, Crisp, Wills and Sier who are all 190+ mids and De Goey at 187(?). I think we can affor one or two smaller prospects.

Currency would be an issue with those guys. Wouldn't see much hope of getting anything worthwhile for Toovey, McCaffer, White and Gault, who are all a decent chance of getting delisted once their contracts are up. I think the others stay until forced out of the team by younger players

Gault will be delisted finally.

Macaffer is struggling at VFL level and will net you a packet of Dave's twisties.

You may get a late pick for other 2, which may help with getting duo F/S. Doubtful they are on the trade block or sort after players.

I think Witts will be traded out for likely a late 1st early 2nd.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2016 Father Son Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back