2016 Trade/FA discussion (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon it's his manager just putting it out to the Media to up his $$$ with Adelaide. Supposedly has a four year deal in front of him already so it can't be contract length. Manager reads/hears Swann say that we are on the lookout for a KPF to help out Schache and makes up story.

Now if it is true I reckon the club is panicking and that's not a good thing. There has been a case study with how to add talent with GWS and Suns. GWS went for younger talent and Suns with older talent and look how that has panned out.
That's not exactly right is it? GWS picked up late career Patfull, Mumford, Steve Johnson and Heath Shaw all at roundabout that 26-27(+) bracket. Mumford and Shaw especially are two of their key players.

They waited to see where their gaps were and then recruited top line talent to fill those gaps. Beats recruiting midline talent to fill potential gaps, but you're not really sure because the kids haven't been given a go yet.

Out of contract. We won't give up pick 3. Most likely it's his manager pushing his price up, and Brisbane is a handy team to use given we've said we have a lot of cap space and will be chasing experienced players. We already have Schache, Freeman, Walker, Hipwood and Close on our senior list, with Ballenden coming through as you mentioned.

Yeah our forward line is set, so I would hope we aren't even thinking of Jenkins

Yeah our forward line is set, so I would hope we aren't even thinking of Jenkins
I disagree that it's 'set' but I think the reported money is better utilised elsewhere and likewise hope we aren't into JJ. Throwing big money to lure a decent KPF to effectively play as a decoy while Schache, Freeman & Ballenden et all mature is reckless, which has been mentioned by several posters. That's legitimately the reason why we picked up Josh Walker.

If there's one area of the ground we should be looking to beef up through trade and FA it's defence.

I disagree that it's 'set' but I think the reported money is better utilised elsewhere and likewise hope we aren't into JJ. Throwing big money to lure a decent KPF to effectively play as a decoy while Schache, Freeman & Ballenden et all mature is reckless, which has been mentioned by several posters. That's legitimately the reason why we picked up Josh Walker.

If there's one area of the ground we should be looking to beef up through trade and FA it's defence.

I more so mean for the future. IF we are going to recruit a forward I think should be one for only a couple years while those boys develop. I definitely agree that that defence is by far the bigger issue

walker isn't that bad; we just need to teach him to not run into Schache's space.

He, freeman and Schache worked so well in round 1 so I don't know how walker can't handle just two forwards right now.

Freeman+Walker would be interesting to watch if Schache needed another rest

If we were throwing 750k per year around(And it should be noted that the club has denied this) I would prefer we throw it at a young gun from another club who is only on max 400k. A massive pay rise on a long term contract could be enough to lure them here e.g. Boyd to the Dogs but not on the same scale.

lol. Jenkins for Mayes and a latish draft pick will not happen. PSD only works if the player wants to come here and even tho the price tag is that big, he probably would have the choice of his clubs to go to.

Will have to let go for a lot more, especially because Mayes is terrible atm.
Really? We'd be crazy to let Adelaide anywhere near our first rd pick. Not sure we would need to be bending over backwards to please Adelaide here.

Really? We'd be crazy to let Adelaide anywhere near our first rd pick. Not sure we would need to be bending over backwards to please Adelaide here.
Iam not saying let go of our 1st pick. I just don't think we have the currency to acquire Jenkins. Mayes and a 2nd round pick isn't going to do it.

Jack Grimes is someone I wouldn't mind bringing in as a free agent to give our backline some experience and leadership. Speed is an issue we'd have to cover for though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the VFL on the weekend

Jack Grimes: Arguably our best player on the night, Jack had 35 possessions, seven marks, 11 tackles and five inside 50s. He played through the middle of the ground and was able to provide us with a bigger body. Grimesy also involved himself in the game with his contested work and won a lot of critical contests and used the ball really well. He was a real leader around stoppages and his ability to be able to organise and get everyone set-up was fantastic.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2016-05-25/vfl-player-review

From the VFL on the weekend

Jack Grimes: Arguably our best player on the night, Jack had 35 possessions, seven marks, 11 tackles and five inside 50s. He played through the middle of the ground and was able to provide us with a bigger body. Grimesy also involved himself in the game with his contested work and won a lot of critical contests and used the ball really well. He was a real leader around stoppages and his ability to be able to organise and get everyone set-up was fantastic.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2016-05-25/vfl-player-review
He is one I have thought about. I like the fact that he's a free agent as we can pick him up without losing anything other then cap space. At the very worst he will be an experienced, bigger body to help out the reserves and add some leadership.

I think he meant when they first started.

Yeah, but I'm not sure that we're a good comparison for first year GWS. We haven't just started. If you take the 2013 draft as the start of our rebuild (Taylor, Gardiner, McStay, Robertson, Freeman) and factor in the subsequent drafts (Andrews, Dawson, McGrath)(Schache, Keays, Mathieson), we're three years deep of draftees and a lot of them have played games where they haven't been injured. That's roundabout the point where GWS started to bring in senior bodies right?

Ultimately it's hard to make the comparison because we existed (in principle) as a team whereas GWS kicked off from scratch. That said, I don't agree that GWS's successful development path is an argument against Jenkins at this point for us, despite not wanting Jenkins.

They waited to see where their gaps were and then recruited top line talent to fill those gaps. Beats recruiting midline talent to fill potential gaps, but you're not really sure because the kids haven't been given a go yet.

I think Jenkins looks arguably like top line talent inasmuch as Johnson or Patfull (at their career stages) did, maybe even Mumford. Heath Shaw is probably the exception.

Either way, all I'm saying is that I look at the comparative experiences of the Suns and Giants and it doesn't suggest to me that recruiting an experienced ruck-forward in great form is a bad idea. I agree that we'd have to give up too much to get him though.

My worry is how Jenkins goes in our forward line as the no. 1 forward. Adelaide has the best forward line in the competition with multiple threats, so they're difficult to match up on. In our forward line he'd get the best defender, and defenders will probably help off our other forwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 Trade/FA discussion (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back