2016 Trade/FA discussion (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Hrovat is another who I'd say would be certain to seek opportunities elsewhere this season. Has struggled to crack into the Dogs side due to injuries and the fact that the Dogs are rich with talent but he can play at AFL level. Needs a chance to get regular senior opportunities to shine imo.

Good call and he is a player i have had in the back of my mind for a while. Was highly touted when drafted (pick 21) and has shown some glimpses of his talent but sadly for him injuries have held him back. Would be a handy pick up and wouldn't cost us to much and if he can over come the injury set backs he could be real value. I see him as an upgrade on Green who i think is on his way out.

No idea. It was strong around here a few weeks ago that people wouldn't be happy if leppitsch gets the boot and he didn't as well.
You seem to be making things up as you go here. As far as I've seen some of us won't be happy if Leppa goes and senior players aren't held to account as well. Whether that be Rocky or another senior player is up for discussion.

travis cloke dropped again. been mentioned before, would he be worth a 2 year contract to take the heat off schache/hipwood?

would not be offering him too much money though eg. still contracted for 2017- we pay $300,000 the pies pay the rest in 2017. 2018- wage depending on KPIs from 2017.

travis cloke dropped again. been mentioned before, would he be worth a 2 year contract to take the heat off schache/hipwood?

would not be offering him too much money though eg. still contracted for 2017- we pay $300,000 the pies pay the rest in 2017. 2018- wage depending on KPIs from 2017.
Personally it's a no. He'd be reluctantly playing here IMO as well as being past it. Would rather persist with Walker or Close/Freeman next year.

Already too heavy and slow in the forward line as it is. Nah, l would prefer to play Walker up there

Personally it's a no. He'd be reluctantly playing here IMO as well as being past it. Would rather persist with Walker or Close/Freeman next year.
yep, probably wont happen and if it didn't happen i wouldn't bat an eyelid just thought it was worth throwing up the option. hopefully as you say walker, close or freeman step up next year, we can't leave it all to the schac attack and the eel.

I would definitely be willing to trade in Cloke. I think Freeman is the bloke we might have to trade out. This might sound crazy, but I reckon Freeman will have a large number of suitors. I would think that the dogs would do a straight trade for him eg. Hrovat or Webb. I would rather see a Cloke come in and do some heavy lifting for 2 years and then move on when the Shack and Hippy have a bit more size about them. These are the moves our club needs to make to address the unbalanced nature of our list.

I would definitely be willing to trade in Cloke. I think Freeman is the bloke we might have to trade out. This might sound crazy, but I reckon Freeman will have a large number of suitors. I would think that the dogs would do a straight trade for him eg. Hrovat or Webb. I would rather see a Cloke come in and do some heavy lifting for 2 years and then move on when the Shack and Hippy have a bit more size about them. These are the moves our club needs to make to address the unbalanced nature of our list.

I don't know about trading out Freeman. Maybe if he's really keen to leave.

But I agree that Cloke is worth picking up. He works really hard up the ground and would be a good example for Schache, Hipwood and McStay, as well as letting them play in their own weight division more often by taking the opposing number one defender.

If we change coaches, perhaps a new coach would be more keen on that sort of player than Leppitsch.

I actually wouldn't mind. Yes it would mean Walker probably misses out so we would have Cloke, Hipwood and Schache playing, but I think what the younger guys could learn from Cloke would be valuable. Walker is still young and doesn't have a lot to teach. Cloke has done a lot (not all good) and might be able to impart some wisdom on the boys

Hmm I don't know about that... Not saying you are wrong at all but with Walker as a example he is only 23, so does he have room to improve? and would Cloke inhibit him as a example? Could be good as he does have a good work rate and can take a mark when in form but it's just hard to visualize. I'd pass as Pies would want overs, and I wouldn't want to give too much and I think we need mids not forwards atm to give us some ball and work defensively. But saying this just my opinion.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need a monster forward to ease the burden on the young blokes, that is number 1 for me. Our next need is to get our list balanced. Too many talls, this gives us some trading power. Freeman can see the writing on the wall, he is below Schache and Hipwood in the pecking order. I would be keen to trade Freeman because a young key forward who has played some decent AFL games is always going to get overs at the trade table. Michael Close is also someone I would be willing to trade for the right deal.

Hmm I don't know about that... Not saying you are wrong at all but with Walker as a example he is only 23, so does he have room to improve? and would Cloke inhibit him as a example? Could be good as he does have a good work rate and can take a mark when in form but it's just hard to visualize. I'd pass as Pies would want overs, and I wouldn't want to give too much and I think we need mids not forwards atm to give us some ball and work defensively. But saying this just my opinion.

You have to give something to get something. You generally give something you have plenty of stock in and get something you don't have!

You are right.

I more concerned about our 2 brightest stars in Shack and Hippy being burnt out, out muscled, injured and suffocated by the best kpp players in the comp at the age of 19.

Walker, Close and Freeman whilst not stars can lighten the load on them. If we manage them right, they'll be fine.

Cloke is an enormous trainer and has been at the absolute pointiest end of elite forwards in the competition. You don't see the need to have someone come to the club and set standards around training habits for our young forwards? Cloke is not the messiah, but in a development role where Cloke can guide the young key forwards, I reckon we will get a good result. I think one of our biggest issues is that we don't have any standard setters on the training track amongst our more senior players.

Cloke is an enormous trainer and has been at the absolute pointiest end of elite forwards in the competition. You don't see the need to have someone come to the club and set standards around training habits for our young forwards? Cloke is not the messiah, but in a development role where Cloke can guide the young key forwards, I reckon we will get a good result. I think one of our biggest issues is that we don't have any standard setters on the training track amongst our more senior players.
good post, although on the proviso that the travis's development role that you speak of does not involve instruction on the techniques of 10-40 meter set shots.:eek::)

good post, although on the proviso that the travis's development role that you speak of does not involve instruction on the techniques of 10-40 meter set shots.:eek::)

You know if we got him, you would have to take the good with the bad. Having Cloke would help our mids decision making, it would also allow us to run Hipwood all over the field. I see Hippy as a Lance Franklin type (yep I said it), would love to see him play further up the field as his fitness develops.

We need a monster forward to ease the burden on the young blokes, that is number 1 for me. Our next need is to get our list balanced. Too many talls, this gives us some trading power. Freeman can see the writing on the wall, he is below Schache and Hipwood in the pecking order. I would be keen to trade Freeman because a young key forward who has played some decent AFL games is always going to get overs at the trade table. Michael Close is also someone I would be willing to trade for the right deal.
Don't mind that at all, and I think getting out of the fish bowl of Melbourne might allow Cloke to get some form back, being under a lot less pressure and media scrutiny up in Brisbane. We can't have Schache getting monstered by the likes of Daniel Talia and the no. 1 defender of the other teams week in week out like happened on the weekend against Adelaide and expect him to grow and improve as quickly as we want/need him to.

Collingwood also still need to pay Cloke's contract out for 2017 so he might not ask for an astronomical salary, and he will no doubt be copping the no. 1 defender each week, allowing Hipwood and Schache more favourable match-ups than they are currently getting. He kicks a tad over 30 goals last year for the Pies and everyone rips him for having a below par year - would be an instant upgrade in our goal kicking charts over Josh Green leading us last year with 25 goals... But I can't see both Freeman and Close surviving it, one would have to go and maybe develop Walker into a bit of a swingman with some versatility.

I think that cloke would be great for the develoment of our youg keys. Schache spent a couple of weeks training with collngwood as part of the academy and learnt a lot from cloke in the time he was there. What would we have to give up to get him though?

I think that cloke would be great for the develoment of our youg keys. Schache spent a couple of weeks training with collngwood as part of the academy and learnt a lot from cloke in the time he was there. What would we have to give up to get him though?

Well we have cracked the mystery of Schache's lost set-shot technique.

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 Trade/FA discussion (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back