List Mgmt. 2017 Draft Discussion (cont in Pt 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought it'd be interesting to look at some previous drafts with our current mindset of demanding specific player types with our first rounders.

So, we'll go the last 4 drafts, and look at the range of picks 6 through to 15.

Looking for are pure midfielders/wings with speed and great/good kicking (we could add height, ready made, endurance, etc, but let's keep it a little simpler for reasons that will be apparent).

I could be misjudging some player types and be excluding them, but they'd be uneventful players anyhow.

Nathan Freeman

Lachie Weller

Ah Chee?
Milera

SPS
Simpkin
Gallucci
(other than SPS = meh, as to what we really need. Simpkin looks OK.)

That's 40 first rounders.

As we're all hoping for two top 5 mids (from a super draft) to slide to our picks, or we get not ONE but TWO epic draft steels that a club would be lucky to get across 5 drafts.

lmao
looks like we'll be taking Naughton and Bonar.

If it was 2011, we'd all want Wingard ,but he'd go before our picks.
Therefore we'd pass up
Haynes,
Longer,
Tomlinson
Toby Greene
Docherty
Taylor Adams

For Liam Sumner and Elliot Kavanagh

#15 Richmond - Elliot Kavanagh (VIC - Mid)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 19/05/1993
Recruited from: Western Jets
Style: David Mundy
Player comparison:
Range: 5-25
Profile: Missed the champs with injury but still a standout talent in this years draft and could still be high draft choice. Good all rounder. Quick mid who is also a very good ball user and has those footy smarts and cleanness. Solid ball winner. Past performances suggest that he should be a top 10 selection. Has put his injury concerns past him and is ready to go for season 2012 on an AFL list. He might slide because of his injury concerns, but personally I’d take him early, just another of those players who will go into the draft with injury concerns and come out the other end as one of the best players.

#7 GWS - Liam Sumner (VIC - Mid)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 70kg, DOB: 16/08/1993
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Style: Isaac Smith
Player comparison:
Range: 5-15
Profile: Hasn’t to this stage shown any inside ability but as an outside mid he is very, very good. Has really explosive pace and can break lines easily and carry the ball great distances. Incredibly agile and can dance around opponents and spin through tackles easily. Very high skill level and finds targets by foot consistently. Can influence the game with limited touches, but still probably doesn’t get enough of it for my liking. Tackles well for someone still fairly light and shows some potential there.

( player reviews courtesy of Knightmare ).

How come?

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Call me old school but I believe education should be the #1 priority. If he dropped out of school & were educating himself with a trade then that’s a different story. Footy is not a career even for the pros, it’s on average per afl player about a 6 year job. Post footy for some can open up other career opportunities but that shouldn’t be relied upon.

The other issue I have is the fact whilst his contemporaries have been juggling year 12 as well as sport he has had the opportunity to focus only on footy & has even employed a fitness coach. He has a leg up on other draftees therefore the question needs to be asked whether he has as much growth compared to the others when they hit a pro environment.

Also the mentality of someone to be so fixated on one thing (in this case footy) that they drop school for it raises alarm bells. How will he cope with adversity if it doesn’t pan out for him as expected. Is he a sook? Is he use to getting everything he wants?

But yea, it’s partly the vibe of Higgins. Do not want.

Call me old school but I believe education should be the #1 priority. If he dropped out of school & were educating himself with a trade then that’s a different story. Footy is not a career even for the pros, it’s on average per afl player about a 6 year job. Post footy for some can open up other career opportunities but that shouldn’t be relied upon.

The other issue I have is the fact whilst his contemporaries have been juggling year 12 as well as sport he has had the opportunity to focus only on footy & has even employed a fitness coach. He has a leg up on other draftees therefore the question needs to be asked whether he has as much can growth compared to the others when they hit a pro environment.

Also the mentality of someone to be so fixated on one thing (in this case footy) that they drop school for it raises alarm bells. How will he cope with adversity if it doesn’t pan out for him as expected. Is he a sook? Is he use to getting everything he wants?

I assume mum and dad want it pretty bad.
But hell, if he wins us a premiership i'll buy him A PS6 as soon as they release it.

The other issue I have is the fact whilst his contemporaries have been juggling year 12 as well as sport he has had the opportunity to focus only on footy & has even employed a fitness coach. He has a leg up on other draftees therefore the question needs to be asked whether he has as much growth compared to the others when they hit a pro environment.

Fair points.

Dusty drove forklifts in syd at 17yo.

Not all young men are Jack Watts types.

I actually want to draft one FIGJAM this year, we need one.

Fair points.

Dusty drove forklifts in syd at 17yo.

Not all young men are Jack Watts types.

I actually want to draft one FIGJAM this year, we need one.

Dusty’s career is the exception not the rule. For his sake I hope he doesn’t blow all his dough post career.

I agree we need an alpha / FIGJAM, come on down BONAR

There's a flip side to that...

Shows single minded focus and desire to make it and succeed.

Also my cuz left home at 16 for the AIS to pursue his dream.

Captained Aus U19 Socceroos as well as a Swiss national team.

Unfortunately a Japanese player landed on his knee in the Junior World Cup.

Higgins is a midfielder without doubt. If he was 5cm taller there would be absolutely no debate about where he sits in the draft.

He’s not a midget, he’s a small mid. My only question mark is that we already have quite a few that are similar to him & a bull/outsider runner better fit our needs.

No doubt over the kid’s ability though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Higgins at worst is gonna be a solid pocket forward with good marking ability and goal sense.
With Montagna gone there is room for Higgins and he looks well suited to a Montagna/ Schneider role up the ground.
Higgins + Gresh 178 Sinclair + Steven 180
Armo + Freeman 183, Billings + Dunstan + Newnes 184
Ross + Steele 187 + Acres 190 + Pick 7 tall mid

Higgins + Gresham small forwardline sorted for a generation plus both can rotate in the midfield.

Use the other pick for a big body midfielder and we are a flexible utility/3rd tall from a complete list

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So i posted the thing about Kavanaugh and Sumner as a bit of a joke.
But seriously, what went wrong with them?
Of the players we are discussing , which ones are more likely to be compete write offs if things don't go well? Why?
The taller they are the more question marks otherwise they would be in the mix for the top 4 as the likely top 4 are 185-187cm medium mids/forwards

Feeling its gonna one of Coffield/Stephenson/Constable/Bonar/Fogerty at pick 7 and one of Higgins/Brayshaw/Clark/O'Brien at pick 8 but f'd if I have a clue which
We seem to be connected with Coffield, Brayshaw, Bonar and Clark - maybe Stephenson, though not sure that’s all that direct. My guess is that if a pure mid doesn’t fall then Clark might be one. The other will be a Coffield or Bonar or Stephenson.

Feeling its gonna one of Coffield/Stephenson/Constable/Bonar/Fogerty at pick 7 and one of Higgins/Brayshaw/Clark/O'Brien at pick 8 but f'd if I have a clue which

why would it not be Higgins/Brayshaw/Clarke/O'Brian at 7 and Coffield/Stphenson/Constable/Bonar/Fogerty at 8? :/

If Stephenson is available we should get him, he'll need to slide to get there.

Do you think the club will mark the order 1 to 8 on best available or do you think they'll actually eye a certain type?

Will be great.

7 and 8 there will be melts and froffage whatever way we go.

Can melt and froff for about 30 minutes until we are all gobsmacked by who we take at 34.

24th November. 22 days until the melt apocalypse.
Meh... whoever we take I'll jump on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back