List Mgmt. 2017 Trade & Free Agency Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still using our old logo
View attachment 426712
And juuuuust to rub it in, they’re now replaying the 2007 North v Geelong Qualifying Final. Thanks Moons.

Sidenote: A. Swallow remains today as the last North man standing from this match. Ten years is certainly an eternity in football.

Can Lang take a full time midfield rotation in the best 22?

That would be the idea. And that's what we'd be selling to him I suspect. Who knows whether he's good enough.

Consistency seems to be his downfall. He seems to be good one week, shit the next. I'd hardly be getting into a bidding war for him. But he's 21, and with a bit of continuity he might find another level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No he can't.

If anyone says otherwise they're lying.

I was at the Geelong v Sydney semi final and was impressed by Lang and wondered why he hadn't been getting a game. He seemed to spend a lot of that game in the midfield and ended up with 16 kicks, 8 handballs and 6 tackles. We don't have a lot of players who would better that in a final against Sydney. He also seemed to have a bit of toe and a lot of endeavour, so a Marley Williams type deal might be worth a go

No he can't.

If anyone says otherwise they're lying.
That would be the idea. And that's what we'd be selling to him I suspect. Who knows whether he's good enough.

Consistency seems to be his downfall. He seems to be good one week, shit the next. I'd hardly be getting into a bidding war for him. But he's 21, and with a bit of continuity he might find another level.

So he can't currently but may develop into it.

He'd have to be cheaper than the point at which we stop rating the draft.

If not we have a pretty decent supply of forwards who can occasionally go through the guts.

Just polished off a bento. $11.50. Crabmeat salad, deep fried fish balls, two gyoza and a **** off side of teriyaki chicken and rice. Elite value.

Sorry there's clearly nothing happening, just thought I'd bang on about lunch.

Where from?

I still want dan Menzel as a free agent

Does the same as Lang but comes free
No way. Lang is a mid who has been playing forward for Geelong who has speed and agility.

Menzel is a slow half forward who doesnt tackle and has the turning circle of a cruise liner. Admittedly his knee injuries haven't helped in that respect, but Lang is far more mobile and agile and has genuine midfield capabilities imo. Menzel doesn't.

Do we think the Geelong acquisition has anything to do with the Lang interest? Perhaps we just really don't have reliable small/mid forwards?

I was at the Geelong v Sydney semi final and was impressed by Lang and wondered why he hadn't been getting a game. He seemed to spend a lot of that game in the midfield and ended up with 16 kicks, 8 handballs and 6 tackles. We don't have a lot of players who would better that in a final against Sydney. He also seemed to have a bit of toe and a lot of endeavour, so a Marley Williams type deal might be worth a go

He missed almost 2 thirds of the year injured. Geelong wanted to play him but couldn’t. Off a limited prep his 2 Finals were pretty good. Unfortunately he falls behind Ablett and also Gregson and McCarthy who return from injury. Based on his finals ha can play full time mid. We’d be mad not to consider him with a cheap deal.

Do we think the Geelong acquisition has anything to do with the Lang interest? Perhaps we just really don't have reliable small/mid forwards?

I believe we see Lang as a young agile mid/fwd option who brings good pressure, has upside and would cost less than his true worth.

Trying to work it into the Ablett deal just makes sense.

So he can't currently but may develop into it.

He'd have to be cheaper than the point at which we stop rating the draft.

If not we have a pretty decent supply of forwards who can occasionally go through the guts.

He's played midfield in the VFL and junior level. Maybe he hasn't had the opportunity at AFL level.

I'm not advocating that we sell the farm for him. If he came cheap he might be worth a shot.

We do get something in return that helps us though - we would get Lang, a player the club likes and could potentially be in our best 22. That would seem to me like it was improving the club?

we get Lang who I like, but Lang is uncontracted and from some reports has been told he won't be offered a contract. It's a bit like GC giving us Ablett for Mullett, can you see GC doing that? why do we have to be part of the Ablett deal? Lang for 62~

I do realise they have four second round picks but again, that doesn't make Swallow worth one of them. Paying some of his contract is irrelevant to us as we need to meet the minimum cap and we're going to be paying it anyway if he stays... it's not a d*ck measuring contest over who pays what.

but if we do have to be part of the Ablett deal, whether it is irrelevant to us does not matter, that is our good fortune, it is important to GC, maybe important enough for them to give up something that is irrelevant to them? I don't get why you think this is all one-upmanship, it is all about just return for output, you may not value Swallow but I think he is exactly the type of player they need, they may not even realise it yet. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back