Preview 2018 1st Qualifying Final: Richmond v Hawthorn, 6 September 2018, 7.20pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going tall. Interesting. We must be confident in the midfield’s ability to maintain control against the Tiges. I’m glad to hear that. I thought they would drop one tall forward for Howe in the midfield. Instead the coaches must think the mids can keep the ball coming in.

I can’t wait for tomorrow.

I think the theory is they dominate the stoppages through the rucks.

I’m wondering if glimpses of what we intend to go with in finals happened in the essendon and geelong games.
Some of that play was breathtaking. Dominate stoppages, spread. Worth a re look, or maybe it will surface again on thursday

Ceglar + McEvoy is a big headache for Richmond. Both are mobile for their size, both can take a contested grab and both can rest forward. Nankervis will be working overtime (and he already isn't fantastic at hitouts) and Grigg is a nonfactor. Our midfield will likely get first use, but this will put us under Richmond pressure. Mitchell/O'Meara/Sheils/Worpel will need to be at their best, but considering the conditions I'm expecting plenty of long bombs out of congestion. If we manage to find time and space we'll dominate this area. Our midfield is also very good defensively, as basically all our midfielders average around 4-5 tackles a game. I have no doubt we'll be bringing the pressure to Richmond.

Stopping Richmond from marking the ball is important. I think that's why we went tall. Rance has struggled when isolated against physically superior opponents (e.g. Jenkins/Trengove) so Richmond rely on Astbury to pickup the slack. With our setup, no Richmond defender can afford to peel off their man and intercept mark as they'll constantly have to worry about the raw height we have. This is fine for us, as despite the size we can rotate Roughead, Gunston and even Shoey through the midfield/backline/wings. I wouldn't be surprised to see Roughead play predominantly midfield.

Once the ball hits the ground (and with our talls nullifying the intercept game it should) we need decent pressure. Bruest/Puopolo/Nash/Morrison need to be constantly hounding the Richmond players to stop their run and carry. Nash is the wildcard here - at 197cm he's an incredibly difficult matchup for Short/Houli as not only are they at a height/strength disadvantage but he's also just as fast. If he crunches one of them that won't get up quickly. However, with our selections (and the conditions), the moment Richmond manage to get a clean rebound we will likely be scored against.

Defensively, I'm quite optimistic too. Frawley on Riewoldt. Stratton on Caddy. Sicily intercepting. Last time, we had Brand playing on Edwards (with no Sicily) and we were far too tall defensively. Their smalls are certainly a headache, and an isolated Edwards/Martin can also cause damage. Our defence has been exceptional the past few weeks so the matchups will be intriguing. But a lot of their scores will likely come from either quick chaos balls from the midfield or flooding from halfback. For this reason, midfield ascendancy and limiting their intercepts will be key. And I think we've picked a team specifically for this.
I'd be shocked if Short/Houli are on Nash. It'll probably be broad who is 190cm+ and reasonably quick. I think thats why he is in the side rather than brandon ellis

The arrogance on the Richmond board is real.. this mob are acting like they are 3peaters and have won more flags in the last 50 years than anyone else, beggars belief.

I am attending tomorrow without any expectation of a win, but deep down with a feeling something out of the ordinary may take place. If we just do “Hawthorn” then we’re every chance to go straight to a Prelim on the G :)

Very happy with the team. Howe is unlucky though and paying a big price for that stupidly OTT suspension. Great to see Nash hold his spot and great to have Sicily back.

So Schoey is in the team and people are STILL convinced he won't play! If he is fit I think Clarko prefers a team with Schoey in it so I doubt be will be a late out.

Have to try and get the Tigers this year, they get even stronger in 2019 with the addition of Lynch.
That’s not how footy works. Other teams like the GWS have more talent than Richmond but what have they achieved? Other factors come into play like injuries which Lynch has had and Richmond as a team haven’t yet!! Lynch needs to play extremely well to make the Tigers stronger because their recent success has been built around a small forward line putting enormous pressure on the opposition. Lynch coming in on a contract just under a million a year means the salary cap squeeze will come quickly and we have seen how devisive that has been for Sydney with Buddy and to a lesser extent Tippett. Anyway quietly confident about tomorrow night and what lies ahead for us in terms of end of season additions at the end of both this year and next.

I think we need to forget about arrogant tiger supporters. Hawk supporters are no better and I think quite a few of us were well and truly up and about during the mini “dynasty”.

Just not sure about the selections - gone tall and will be slow as treacle. Howe missing is also an interesting one - maybe they’ve decided just to let Shiels do the run with job.

I’m only an armchair expert with absolutely no footy knowledge whatsoever so I just have to presume the selectors have far more clue than me :p

Just not sure about the selections - gone tall and will be slow as treacle. Howe missing is also an interesting one - maybe they’ve decided just to let Shiels do the run with job.
Howe isn’t much quicker than Cegs or Schoey to be honest, if at all. Disappointed Miles isn’t playing instead of Schoey/Nash or Cegs. Still think Howe may be a late in if the heavens open up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Howe isn’t much quicker than Cegs or Schoey to be honest, if at all. Disappointed Miles isn’t playing instead of Schoey/Nash or Cegs. Still think Howe may be a late in if the heavens open up.

If the heavens open up I would prefer mirra or miles

The arrogance on the Richmond board is real.. this mob are acting like they are 3peaters and have won more flags in the last 50 years than anyone else, beggars belief.

I am attending tomorrow without any expectation of a win, but deep down with a feeling something out of the ordinary may take place. If we just do “Hawthorn” then we’re every chance to go straight to a Prelim on the G :)
Please do.

What does it take to post into a tigers forum and not get hounded...View attachment 554727 Posted this to congratulate them on Lynch? Just trying to be positive but TOMORROW IS WAR!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fu.. Lynch as an overpaid fairy...

Okay I was initially pissed off we didn't land him so now I will bag him..lol..

The Suns players apparently now hate this guys guts if you read the various articles floating around, the way he became Captain and was yet planning to leave long ago and speaking to other clubs etc.

I hear on the grapevine that a number of Tiger players have taken significant pay cuts and are also not overly happy with this.

Who for now? McGovern or Gaff? Hopefully pick up another Sicily or young key forward.

One of my main concerns I have is how rusty Sicily will be after missing 7 weeks particularly because he has been unable to do skill work due to his injury. Hope people are not expecting too much from him.
I'm a bit suss about his scaphoid. Might be some smoke & mirras'. If is is going to be really wet I reckon one of the bigs' goes out, so two late changes.

Ceglar coming in means when McEvoy goes to the bench for a rest we don’t lose much in the clearances. In the last two games when Schoenmakers or Roughead go into the ruck the opposition get a run on in the clearances and start scoring.

With Nash, Gunston and Roughead in the forward-line there really is no need for Schoenmakers.
This is why I feel Howe should have come for Shoenmakers. But he played almost 3 quarters last weekend and looked tired towards the end. Even Miles would have been better than Shoenmakers for this match. But what do we know - lets trust Clerko and the selection team. I also hope that Ruff plays in the center a lot this week.

This is why I feel Howe should have come for Shoenmakers. But he played almost 3 quarters last weekend and looked tired towards the end. Even Miles would have been better than Shoenmakers for this match. But what do we know - lets trust Clerko and the selection team. I also hope that Ruff plays in the center a lot this week.

I think I have to agree here. By reports it is going to belt down earlier and the ground and ball will be greasy anyway.

Does this help us or them?

Howe may not be the fastest going around but a big body and has shut down some key players from the past so yes, I think he should come in to tag Martin or Cotchin. So yes, would swap him for Shoe. Remember he is not coming off any serious injury but suspension and his form was pretty good previously so should be raring to go. Has a bit more mongrel in him like Nash, as the conditions should really suit him also. I want us to really knock a few blokes over early in the game and show that we mean business.

None of this Cotchin bumping crap before the game and dictating terms, as you may recall; as we should call the shots before the start of the game and say; you're in for a tough fight tonight fellas so bring it on...

We lose fair enough, but bloody well let the unbeatable Tigers really feel it at every bloody contest!

I hope Frawley shuts down Reiwoldt or nullify him to a couple.

Shiels to shut down and nullify Cotchin as recall he did a pretty good job in Selwood not so long ago and a real team man.

Please; Smith run and carry the ball and take them on with thumping kicks like you did a few weeks ago.

Rough please compete and bring the ball to ground at least.

Impey and Burton in top form so please continue. Same with Macca, O'Meara and Mitch. Stratton, Hardwick been awesome down back.

Hope Sicily's wrist is okay as a champion in the making.

Don't think I have been so excited and nervous at the same time for a long time but truly believe we can and will get the job done!

The hype and all the pressure is purely on Richmond as we have surprised a lot of people, including myself to be in this position!

Go Hawks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back