Preview 2018 1st Qualifying Final: Richmond v Hawthorn, 6 September 2018, 7.20pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely Howe plays I think our side is to tall vs Richmond even if it's dry weather, but given the forecast it would be madness to go in as selected if the rain eventuates.

They torched us across HF last time. Pretty much got to all ground ball gets .
Our defenders got sucked in up the field so once we lost out the loose ball gets , their frwds just ran hard close to our goals and got heap of close range goals. They do this better than any other side. Also, some of our mids seem to not work hard to run back and help our defense which attributed to Tigers finding way too much space in our D50! These continue, then we’ll get smashed.

I think we are a lot better prepared, intel and player wise to compete with their game style than earlier in the year.
What will probably become known as the Tigers 'Chaos strategy' is something we can't get sucked into again. Contested mark, chip, chip, chip, contested mark, then goal is a controlled structure that will negate the chaos strategy they deploy, and yes. it's easier to type than execute.
But trying to emulate their chaos strategy; hand-balling forward blindly, knocking the ball out sideways etc. with the belief your team mates are there is high risk and usually ends up with the opposition being run off their legs at 3 quarter time. Hence the reason the Tigers have won all but a few last quarters this year. As for playing down the corridor, if there is opportunity back your skills and use it...

I suspect if weather forecast is correct , there will be a late change .
Howe in for Schoe..
Surely to top heavy if there is rain tommorow afternoon/night.

No way we are running with a forward line of mcevoy,schoe,nash,and roughy at times . Mark my words howe will come in open your eyes

You’d think Shoe would be in trouble if it rains pre-game
It's going to rain heavily just before the game - three models all indicate the front coming through between 5pm and 7pm. It's going to be wet underfoot and greasy conditions and as it's been on the cards for over a week, you gotta trust that Clarko and his selection team has chosen those ins/outs with wet weather in mind.

So a Hawthorn forward in the first quarter handballs the ball unexpectedly straight into the hands of Rance, who is, just for a moment, wondering what the hell that was all about. Then someone yells Conor SMASH!

That's one threat out of the way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For who, Howe in for Cegs? Need the 2nd ruckman I think.

Which then makes it either Nash or Shoe. Would rather have Miles in rather than Howe.

Roughy can ruck.

I think Cegs will be a late out for Howe - we just can't afford to have McEvoy, Ceglar and Shoenmakers on the ground if it's raining (which it will when the match begins).

Roughy can ruck.

I think Cegs will be a late out for Howe - we just can't afford to have McEvoy, Ceglar and Shoenmakers on the ground if it's raining (which it will when the match begins).

And roughead, there is no way roughy,mcevoy or schoe will chase there defenders out of the 50. You could jog past all 3 at top pace.

Ceglar + McEvoy is a big headache for Richmond. Both are mobile for their size, both can take a contested grab and both can rest forward. Nankervis will be working overtime (and he already isn't fantastic at hitouts) and Grigg is a nonfactor. Our midfield will likely get first use, but this will put us under Richmond pressure. Mitchell/O'Meara/Sheils/Worpel will need to be at their best, but considering the conditions I'm expecting plenty of long bombs out of congestion. If we manage to find time and space we'll dominate this area. Our midfield is also very good defensively, as basically all our midfielders average around 4-5 tackles a game. I have no doubt we'll be bringing the pressure to Richmond.

Stopping Richmond from marking the ball is important. I think that's why we went tall. Rance has struggled when isolated against physically superior opponents (e.g. Jenkins/Trengove) so Richmond rely on Astbury to pickup the slack. With our setup, no Richmond defender can afford to peel off their man and intercept mark as they'll constantly have to worry about the raw height we have. This is fine for us, as despite the size we can rotate Roughead, Gunston and even Shoey through the midfield/backline/wings. I wouldn't be surprised to see Roughead play predominantly midfield.

Once the ball hits the ground (and with our talls nullifying the intercept game it should) we need decent pressure. Bruest/Puopolo/Nash/Morrison need to be constantly hounding the Richmond players to stop their run and carry. Nash is the wildcard here - at 197cm he's an incredibly difficult matchup for Short/Houli as not only are they at a height/strength disadvantage but he's also just as fast. If he crunches one of them that won't get up quickly. However, with our selections (and the conditions), the moment Richmond manage to get a clean rebound we will likely be scored against.

Defensively, I'm quite optimistic too. Frawley on Riewoldt. Stratton on Caddy. Sicily intercepting. Last time, we had Brand playing on Edwards (with no Sicily) and we were far too tall defensively. Their smalls are certainly a headache, and an isolated Edwards/Martin can also cause damage. Our defence has been exceptional the past few weeks so the matchups will be intriguing. But a lot of their scores will likely come from either quick chaos balls from the midfield or flooding from halfback. For this reason, midfield ascendancy and limiting their intercepts will be key. And I think we've picked a team specifically for this.

Last edited:
Ceglar + McEvoy is a big headache for Richmond. Both are mobile for their size, both can take a contested grab and both can rest forward. Nankervis will be working overtime (and he already isn't fantastic at hitouts) and Grigg is a nonfactor. Our midfield will likely get first use, but this will put us under Richmond pressure. Mitchell/O'Meara/Sheils/Worpel will need to be at their best, but considering the conditions I'm expecting plenty of long bombs out of congestion. If we manage to find time and space we'll dominate this area. Our midfield is also very good defensively, as basically all our midfielders average around 4-5 tackles a game. I have no doubt we'll be bringing the pressure to Richmond.

Stopping Richmond from marking the ball is important. I think that's why we went tall. Rance has struggled when isolated against physically superior opponents (e.g. Jenkins/Trengove) so Richmond rely on Astbury to pickup the slack. With our setup, no Richmond defender can afford to peel off their man and intercept mark as they'll constantly have to worry about the raw height we have. This is fine for us, as despite the size we can rotate Roughead, Gunston and even Shoey through the midfield/backline/wings. I wouldn't be surprised to see Roughead play predominately midfield.

Once the ball hits the ground (and with our talls nullifying the intercept game it should) we need decent pressure. Bruest/Puopolo/Nash/Morrison need to be constantly hounding the Richmond players to stop their run and carry. Nash is the wildcard here - at 197cm he's an incredibly difficult matchup for Short/Houli as not only are they at a height/strength disadvantage but he's also just as fast. If he crunches one of them that won't get up quickly. However, with our selections (and the conditions), the moment Richmond manage to get a clean rebound we will likely be scored against.

Defensively, I'm quite optimistic too. Frawley on Riewoldt. Stratton on Caddy. Sicily intercepting. Last time, we had Brand playing on Edwards (with no Sicily) and we were far too tall defensively. Their smalls are certainly a headache, and an isolated Edwards/Martin can also cause damage. Our defence has been exceptional the past few weeks so the matchups will be intriguing. But a lot of their scores will likely come from either quick chaos balls from the midfield or flooding from halfback. For this reason, midfield ascendancy and limiting their intercepts will be key. And I think we've picked a team specifically for this.
Agree with all of that. We are playing to our strength rather than matching up on Richmond’s strengths.

May not work, but I like the approach.

Changes from the Geelong game
Out pittonet. Brand miles
In rough. Sicily. Burton

Changes from essendon game
Out Whitecross brand miles
In Sicily McEvoy Nash

Not really going in tall compared to those teams, maybe more the essendon one.

IMO those MCG finals type games are closer than playing at etihad or SCG

Last edited:
Based on their player profiles (Howe and Shoe) we are at least a collective 4cms too tall going in - 1.81 millimeters per player. This has disaster written all over it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back