Preview 2018 1st Semi Final: Hawthorn v Melbourne, 14 September 2018, 7.50pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it wouldn’t. That would still leave only six defenders. We didn’t not replace Miles when he was dropped after round 23. Hardwick, Frawley, Burton, Impey, Mirra, Sicily. That is why Duryea is also rested from BHH. Would prefer Miles.

Same, but Miles is playing in the VFL. I can't see him playing on Friday.

Mirra did play extremely well against the dees earlier on in the year, if he is named let's hope he continues that!

Is it also wrong for me to assume that tickets go on sale tomorrow at 9? Clubs and AFL have been silent.

Ticketing sale info:#AFLHawksDees
Competing Club Members – 9am–1pm, Monday September 10
General Public – 2pm, Monday September 10
#AFLPiesGiants
Competing Club Members – 10.30am – 2.30pm, Monday September 10
General Public – 3.30pm, Monday September 10

Watching the vfl miles looks a class above not sure what he did wrong. I would much rather have him and play a dangerous attacking playing like impey in the middle or forward of center.
Severely lacked players break lines up the ground to get clean entries in the 50.

Duryea and mirra rested possible in .
Mirra will likely play on weirdeman. For statts

Like your selections of Brand. Miles and Schoey. Not having Stratton and Cegs is also fine. But I would keep Nash - He was much better than even some of our so called leaders including the captain. I am not sure who else should be dropped for Schoey?
That is right, Weiderman did well, Mirra will be too short, In Brand as said. If do not require two ruckman, want more run, go with Miles or another smaller midfielder. Having the flexibility to swap or at least push siciliy forward at time and be able to swap with Gunston would be good. Not sure whether need Shoe, I think people want him because he straightens us up, makes a contest, we seem to have won a few games with him in it, will be interesting.

That is right, Weiderman did well, Mirra will be too short, In Brand as said. If do not require two ruckman, want more run, go with Miles or another smaller midfielder. Having the flexibility to swap or at least push siciliy forward at time and be able to swap with Gunston would be good. Not sure whether need Shoe, I think people want him because he straightens us up, makes a contest, we seem to have won a few games with him in it, will be interesting.

Brand and miles are both play full games in the vfl no chance.
Ceglar had a shocker but schoe is no better like for like will make limited differance

If Mirra is a lock for Stratton's spot, sadly that means one hell of a downgrade on our best defender.

At least Miles is borderline approaching B+/A grade at two things even at this early stage, kicking, and getting the ball moving off half back.

Mirra is a dour, courageous, tough player. But he's not quick, or blessed with razor sharp skills to rebound creatively.

If Sicily has second game back blues, which a lot of them do, it's going to be a tough old night inside D 50.

I'm not saying we're screwed, but hard to see what's going on if it's Mirra for Stratts. Personally I'd rather Brand playing on anyone, over Mirra, who again - is an admirable footballer. Just Brand at least shows a bit on the creative rebounding side of the ledger.

Has Mirra done well on one of the Melbourne forwards at Box Hill? If so, that certainly would make more sense.

I’d say Mirra is locked for Stratts spot. Makes me nervous.

If Mirra is a lock for Stratton's spot, sadly that means one hell of a downgrade on our best defender.

At least Miles is borderline approaching B+/A grade at two things even at this early stage, kicking, and getting the ball moving off half back.

Mirra is a dour, courageous, tough player. But he's not quick, or blessed with razor sharp skills to rebound creatively.

If Sicily has second game back blues, which a lot of them do, it's going to be a tough old night inside D 50.

I'm not saying we're screwed, but hard to see what's going on if it's Mirra for Stratts. Personally I'd rather Brand playing on anyone, over Mirra, who again - is an admirable footballer. Just Brand at least shows a bit on the creative rebounding side of the ledger.

Has Mirra done well on one of the Melbourne forwards at Box Hill? If so, that certainly would make more sense.

Relax I agree with what your saying mirra is definalty a battler and miles is a future regular. Just comes down to match ups Melbourne having a kid playing chf.
mirra can play on weirdeman easily.
Frawley - mcdonald
Sicily will be the floater.

Miles should be in for ceglar or nash.

I think a tad short sighted on our form line. Geelong came off a three point loss to the tigers, in great conditions, and swans came off beating “world champions” Melbourne and GWS away. Our wins were impressive.

We cop horrible weather against the best scrap push it forward side in the comp. Coupled with some frightened first time finals players and triple premiership heroes who didn’t fire a shot. Gunston and Breust will not be that inept two weeks on the trot.

Re your list. WCE played one good quarter which mattered and Collingwood have been decimated by injury all year. WCE are pretenders who will not win a GF.

I’m prepared to even suggest that GWS are a better side than WCE.

Perhaps my faith is blind in our group and can’t rate us the worst side on the back of one performance.

KOLOKOTRONIS

Always read your posts - awesome.

I think it will be close against Melbourne; they can’t play consistently well for 4 quarters and we don’t give up (unless we’re playing Brisbane).

If the weather gods are kind and we win, we’d be heading to Perth where I can’t see us beating a side that has thrashed Richmond and looked sharp to me last night. They play the tall forward game better than anyone.

WCE won’t beat Richmond in the GF, but they’re solid performers. Hope we get a chance and I’m wrong.

GO HAWKS!

Last edited:
I think you are bang on for selections.
Miles was missed.
Schoey was missed as we were broken down at CHF without a hit up, front a square target.
Brand absolutely gives Chip more freedom & as you said it frees up Sicily or Burton.
I’d take that every day!
If Schoey doesn’t come up Timmy O has to play. The Dees are his bunny team & it keeps B.B. playing his best position. I recon Cegs hinders his consistency these days & both of them need big Ruck minutes.

#itsTimmytime

Also now agree with these selections but now watching the Box Hill game, O'Brien won't come in as whatever the case as been very ordinary.

How bad was Hardwicks injury the other night?

I am wondering if that is why Duryea was rested.

You would think he will be coming in for someone maybe even as a defensive forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also now agree with these selections but now watching the Box Hill game, O'Brien won't come in as whatever the case as been very ordinary.
Brand won’t play. Was pummelled today in the VFL. Was not taken off despite the game being over early in the 4th and after copping a few hits. TOB looked reasonable at CHB. Mirra is going to have to do to Weideman what he did to Hogan in rnd 4.

VFL - Semi Final vs Geelong

Cousins: 27 disposals - 6 marks - 5 tackles
Brand: 21 disposals - 9 marks - 7 rebound 50s
Miles: 21 disposals - 8 marks - 2 tackles - 7 rebound 50s
Pittonet: 19 disposals - 5 marks - 6 tackles - 31 hit-outs
Glass: 17 disposals - 3 marks
Willsmore: 17 disposals - 3 marks - 2 goals
O'Brien: 16 disposals - 5 marks - 2 tackles
Lewis: 14 disposals - 8 marks - 7 inside 50s - 13 hit-outs
Lovell: 14 disposals - 3 marks
Whitecross: 14 disposals - 3 marks - 3 tackles - 2 goals
Moore: 12 disposals - 2 marks - 6 tackles - 1 goal
Hanrahan: 11 disposals - 5 marks - 3 goals - 2 behinds
Jiath: 11 disposals - 4 marks - 4 tackles - 4 rebound 50s
O'Rourke: 11 disposals - 2 tackles
Ross: 5 disposals - 3 marks - 2 tackles - 1 goal

DNP: Duryea, Langford, Mirra, Heatherley, Jones

No choice now, unless Birch makes a miraculous recovery.
Just don't see why we would go with Duryea, Miles has outplayed him all year... Brand was just starting to find good form in the back half of this season.. Mirra is inexperienced and a risk in an elimination final...

Massive backward step if Duryea comes back in. Too many deer in the spotlight moments that can be catastrophic in a final! Not a massive Mirra fan either but I know he will give it his all and play his role whilst Stratts is out. Just don’t understand what Miles did wrong? Has pace and poise and was a major factor in us winning our last 6 games. Quieter against the Swans but so were his opponents!

Just don't see why we would go with Duryea, Miles has outplayed him all year... Brand was just starting to find good form in the back half of this season.. Mirra is inexperienced and a risk in an elimination final...

Mate I'm with you.

They're both not up to it for mine. Let's pray we win the midfield and I50 battle well. We're going to need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back