2018 Trade and FA thread (opposition supporters post in Trade Hypotheticals thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Connecting the dots. It seems pretty straight forward imo.
Honestly find it strange you're so confident given almost all the players suspected of leaving have come out and said so already. The important names that havent either just finished their season (Shiel) or are seen as genuinely unsure (Gaff).

We know how these things usually play out. He might still stay, but i think every day that passes that he doesnt say he is staying, the more likely he is leaving. Same for Wallis. The only players that arent signed at this time of year are players on the verge of delisting or players looking to leave. Neale is contracted so he has time, but generally you would shoot it down if you were staying.

Sometimes you do get delays as players are off on their off season holidays and deal with it all when they get back.

Honestly find it strange you're so confident given almost all the players suspected of leaving have come out and said so already. The important names that havent either just finished their season (Shiel) or are seen as genuinely unsure (Gaff).

Both clubs seem to be selling their supporters hope. Our club has said we're likely to pick up some A grade talent and Freo have said they're hopefully confident of retaining Neale.

If he hasn't madw up his mind it would at least seem like Neale is seriously considering leaving.

Plus almost all of the media is confident he's leaving

"The silence is deafening" comes to mind.

Let's jot down the facts. We know:

• He has flown to Brisbane with his Mrs to meet with Chris Fagan
  • His Mrs put her business up for sale/sold her business in the past month or so
  • He and his Mrs followed Lions players etc on Instagram
  • Neale has not come out to say he's staying in Fremantle despite having ample opportunity to do so
All of the above support him coming to the Lions, not him remaining a Docker. The only way he remains a Docker at this stage will be if Freo refuse to trade him, which lets be honest they won't do as they will get a better pick etc if they trade him this year opposed to next.

Both clubs seem to be selling their supporters hope. Our club has said we're likely to pick up some A grade talent and Freo have said they're hopefully confident of retaining Neale.

If he hasn't madw up his mind it would at least seem like Neale is seriously considering leaving.

Plus almost all of the media is confident he's leaving
Oh yeah, I'd definitely say its more likely he leaves than stays at this stage, just dont think its a lock like some people think. I'm also at the stage where I'm excited about draft picks so I dont think my personal opinion is being that biased, just honestly thinking he hasnt decided yet

Oh yeah, I'd definitely say its more likely he leaves than stays at this stage, just dont think its a lock like some people think. I'm also at the stage where I'm excited about draft picks so I dont think my personal opinion is being that biased, just honestly thinking he hasnt decided yet

Fair enough mate. It's a win for either club regardless of the outcome. Worst case no trade happens and we take pick 5 to the draft and you keep Neale. Hard to complain about that haha.

"The silence is deafening" comes to mind.

Let's jot down the facts. We know:

• He has flown to Brisbane with his Mrs to meet with Chris Fagan
  • His Mrs put her business up for sale/sold her business in the past month or so
  • He and his Mrs followed Lions players etc on Instagram
  • Neale has not come out to say he's staying in Fremantle despite having ample opportunity to do so
All of the above support him coming to the Lions, not him remaining a Docker. The only way he remains a Docker at this stage will be if Freo refuse to trade him, which lets be honest they won't do as they will get a better pick etc if they trade him this year opposed to next.
This will come across as putting the head in the sand and like I said, I do think it is more likely he leaves than not but:
  • He has flown to Brisbane with his Mrs to meet with Chris Fagan - This happens A LOT with players.
  • His Mrs put her business up for sale/sold her business in the past month or so - I've addressed this before, but if this has actually happened (I'm pretty skeptical of Hackdorn), it would be a) stupid by them since he's contracted and its 2018, could sell the business once they actually know its done b) an indication they've been told the deal would get done come hail, rain or shine which is stupid
  • He and his Mrs followed Lions players etc on Instagram I really dont think the instagram following has a heap of weight but it does add to the factors that make him more likley to leave.
  • Neale has not come out to say he's staying in Fremantle despite having ample opportunity to do so - I dont see how this cant also be seen as him not sure what he's doing

This will come across as putting the head in the sand and like I said, I do think it is more likely he leaves than not but:
  • He has flown to Brisbane with his Mrs to meet with Chris Fagan - This happens A LOT with players.
  • His Mrs put her business up for sale/sold her business in the past month or so - I've addressed this before, but if this has actually happened (I'm pretty skeptical of Hackdorn), it would be a) stupid by them since he's contracted and its 2018, could sell the business once they actually know its done b) an indication they've been told the deal would get done come hail, rain or shine which is stupid
  • He and his Mrs followed Lions players etc on Instagram I really dont think the instagram following has a heap of weight but it does add to the factors that make him more likley to leave.
  • Neale has not come out to say he's staying in Fremantle despite having ample opportunity to do so - I dont see how this cant also be seen as him not sure what he's doing

It terms of the last one, it is ALOT easier to just recommit to your club and end speculation - that is a 48 hour decision for mine, each day it drags out it is more and more likely it is because he is coming to Brisbane - what on earth would have be waiting for if he was leaning toward re-signing? just stringing it out for fun?

It terms of the last one, it is ALOT easier to just recommit to your club and end speculation - that is a 48 hour decision for mine, each day it drags out it is more and more likely it is because he is coming to Brisbane - what on earth would have be waiting for if he was leaning toward re-signing? just stringing it out for fun?
True but it's the biggest decision he'll make for his career (maybe even life?) We've actually had his manager on our board doing a Q&A three times. From the horses mouth, Lachie takes a long time to make these decisions and weighs up everything before making a choice. Its a massive decision. I would also hope that if he'd made his decision to ask to move, we wouldn't be petulant children like Adelaide/GC and ban him from the BnF. I think we have more respect for the industry and players than that (see Barlow's opinions on Freo vs GC).

Edit: I am aware the more I ramble on, the more it looks like I'm just a Freo fan in denial. I am honestly trying to just provide a diff view on why I dont think its a forgone conclusion he's leaving while thinking that's the more likely scenario :). Thanks for the good discussion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neale has a history of being a very deep thinker when it comes down to contract signing time. There are three threads of interviews with his manager on the Fremantle board where his manager describes the thought processes his players go through when deciding to go or extend with their club.

Bottom line: I think Neale will take all the time he can to make a decision. Doesn't help Brisbane and Freo fans atm, but our impatience is not the priority.

(sorry to intrude).

I’m really surprisingly relaxed about the whole thing.

Just nice to not go into an off-season as the hunted. I feel like Neale or draft is a good outcome for us either way. Take your time Lachie. (Though I do think he’s already decided to move).

Last edited:
True but it's the biggest decision he'll make for his career (maybe even life?) We've actually had his manager on our board doing a Q&A three times. From the horses mouth, Lachie takes a long time to make these decisions and weighs up everything before making a choice. Its a massive decision. I would also hope that if he'd made his decision to ask to move, we wouldn't be petulant children like Adelaide/GC and ban him from the BnF. I think we have more respect for the industry and players than that (see Barlow's opinions on Freo vs GC).

Edit: I am aware the more I ramble on, the more it looks like I'm just a Freo fan in denial. I am honestly trying to just provide a diff view on why I dont think its a forgone conclusion he's leaving while thinking that's the more likely scenario :). Thanks for the good discussion

Narr not at all you're no rambling on, it is a truly interesting situation. especially as this huge decision could have been made as a right of passage next year with very little fuss. I just think that the only rational explanation left is he has made a decision to ask for a trade to the Lions and is stalling on leaking or disclosing that decision for a particular reason.. if he is just camping on the decision and knows he will eventually confirm he is staying, it is very odd indeed, I can't see a motivation for that.

Lachie Neale- The longer it drags out the more likely it is that he'll be joining us IMO, as others have said if he's staying at the Dockers just announce it already. If he's coming to us there's no way we'll hear anything before their B&F particularly as he's the likely winner.
Mitch Wallis- This ones very hard to read, he's a free agent and been offered an extension by the Dogs, why he wouldn't come out and reveal his decision now is a mystery.
Lincoln McCarthy- Almost certain trade in for a token late pick or swap of late picks IMO.

On Dylan Shiel, very good player but if we get Neale we wont have the currency to get him, I think we should pass anyway and target Stephen Coniglio as a FA next year instead.

Either way, as TBD says, we are winners, provided we choose wisely. And something in me wants us to keep pick 5 or else draft night 1 will be a huge non-event.

McFadyen will still make it exciting...just not as exciting as will we / won't we pick Rayner though of course.

McFadyen will still make it exciting...just not as exciting as will we / won't we pick Rayner though of course.
He,he - remember last year when some on this board were absolutely against us taking Cam because of reports he was a ratbag and would be a poor influence on others - nothing could be further from truth.
Finally we have some intelligent people running our footy club and whatever decision they make will be the right one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back