List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably pretty safe to say we won’t be getting Stephens or Robertson now. Freo will pick them up at 7 and 8 now if they aren’t already off the board.
Ash/Young/Flanders/Serong all in the mix for Freo as well. Maybe Kemp too. They don’t leak much. It’s the supporters who want Stephens and Robertson.

Ash/Young/Flanders/Serong all in the mix for Freo as well. Maybe Kemp too. They don’t leak much. It’s the supporters who want Stephens and Robertson.
I was basing it purely on them losing Hill, Neale and Langdon over the last 2 years. But you are right, will be interesting to see who gets picked up where this year

The stuff about smith completely untrue
Revisionist stuff. Smith was a total unknown playing country footy. Played like 4 games including the semi against us along with one david hale. Both moved to hawthorn the next year.

Smith was unknown quantity came out of the blue many were surprised we picked him when we did.
Smith had attracted a lot of attention and I was also super keen on him in the draft. Listen to the commentators drool over him in his sixth vfl game 😃

Smith was an early pick, i remember that draft, i was keen on us picking him up as he was lightning for North Ballarat, i had never seen a winger tear apart the VFL like that in his first year, he would run from half back all the way to kick goals inside the 50, i think we were lucky he got to us at pick 19, back then clubs didnt usually give players over 20 a chance like they do now, so we got lucky that was the case.

also Birchall was an early pick, B.Hill an earlish pick, Guerra was delisted by Port, similar to Henderson, a really good player delisted for no good reason and we took advantage of those 2 situations.
Goo came via the Saints.

Smith had attracted a lot of attention and I was also super keen on him in the draft. Listen to the commentators drool over him in his sixth vfl game 😃

Mate thats the thing he played his 6th game in the VFL grad final. 4th against us. It is the very reason he wasnt top 10 and we were invested as we had seen him up close and personal at box hill before the finals no one really knew who he was he came from the clouds. I just remember saying who the **** is this guy as he laid to waste our chances that year at box hill

Revisionist stuff. Smith was a total unknown playing country footy. Played like 4 games including the semi against us along with one david hale. Both moved to hawthorn the next year.

Smith was unknown quantity came out of the blue many were surprised we picked him when we did.

here is my 2010 pre-draft list i did on mightyhawk.net unfortunately the site is down, i missed on a few, but still stand by my read that Heppell is shyt... btw at the end i rated I.Smith a 9/10 youngster and was hoping we would pick him up... heres where i replied to someone after the 2013/14 draft reads and i posted this as a response and way to keep record of my first attempt from 2010 on bigfooty, it was a very rough read from highlights and very little vision, but i think i did ok, picked Luke Parker too which few did, i think i did ok for a first time rough estimate of the talent, i was completely wrong on Andrew Gaff though oops.

cheers man, maybe one day i'll do an official PD of my own lol

here is my 2010 effort from a different site http://www.mightyhawk.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8429

1.Josh Caddy 186cm 82kg northern knights - reminds me of jason johnson fron essendon back in the day hard bodied tough midfielder who hunts the ball he is my favourite atm

2.Brad Harvey (def/mid) 185cm 83kg east rangers - looks alot like hodge, big wrap, but have a look at the footage

3.Luke Parker 183cm 81kg dand stingrays - has great composure and style bit like dal santo

4.Jared Polec 189cm 80kg wood-west torrens - has some real talent, rangey, running mid/forw

5.Shaun Atley 189cm 81kg murr bushies - has a birchall look about hin tall running half back, has some potential but not sure

6.Harley Bennell 185cm 74kg peel thunder - looks a little like tambling, v thin but good skills and pace

didnt overly like the look of (Alex Fasolo/Warrick Andreoli/Andrew Gaff(reminds me of nick ries)/Mitch Hallahan(very poor kick)/aaron mullett(vfl quality)

completely missed on A.Gaff :(

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.Cameron Johnston 181cm 78kg geelong falcons - great kicking skills looks like a solid half forw like o'keefe

2.Thomas Schneider 177cm 75kg oakleigh chargers - theres a Gavin Wanganeen look about him, got real potential

3.Sam Crocker 178cm 71kg oakleigh chargers - more mid than forward he would be about 3rd or 4th in midfield grp

4.Reece Conca 185cm 79kg Perth - hard working little forward, has potential a little like osborne

5.Dion Prestia 175cm 82kg calder - mid/forw, amazing ability to keep his feet in a tackle has some good ability but is a little lazy in the application

6.Josh Green 177cm 76kg clarence tas- reminds me of gary moorcroft but a bit taller, runs bull at a gate at things and knows where the goals are but his kicking around the ground and decision making arent very great

didn't overly like the look of (Jed Lamb(lazy)/Tim Milera(only because he is 171cm, has some skill but too small for afl i think)/Matthew Rankine/Ben Reid/Hayden Yarran(very wasyeful around goal)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.Joel Wilkinson 186cm 81kg broadbeach - strong running clever player real talented halfback

2.Alex Browne 187cm 84kg oak - utility can play anywhere, has a cousins nathan brown look about how he moves, good kick also, he is up there for mine

3.Cameron Guthrie 186cm 79kg cald - great aerial ability, reads the play well and moves well, strong mark

4.Blayne Wilson 188cm 88kg peel - amazing marking ability, reminds me of peter knights with his marking

5.Ben Jacobs 186cm 82kg sand - seems a composed player, well skilled worth a look

6.Jake Batchelor 188cm 79kg dand - marking defender who likes to run, a half back flanker who looks promising

7.Jamie Cripps 183cm 75kg e freo - likes to take on players and runs hard, uses ball fairly well, ok little player

8.Andrew McInnes 191cm 86kg dand - tall ath defender, will be a late pick if at all

didnt like the look of (Nathan Batley/Ben Casley/Dyson Hepell(very poor user of the footy)/Cameron Richardson(ready made player but looks out of condition and a bit vfl like for mine)/Billie Smedts/Brodie Smith)

missed on Hepell, but i'm still not a fan of his :p

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.Josh Mellington 187cm 76kg murr - ok i'll say it now, we've found our small forward......

2.Kieran Harper 187cm 80kg eastern - good talented forward the type of player we're looking for

3.Patrick Karnezis 191cm 80kg oak - good lead-up forward, would be a good developement option for a full forward, good long kicks for goal also

4.Jacob Gilbee 184cm 76kg lauderdale - tasweigan, knows how to use his body in a contest, we might pick him up later in the draft, utility

5.Jarryd Lyons 183cm 78kg sand - speedy little classy kid, has potential

6.Jayden Pitt 188cm 70kg geel - silky skills and hard runner, needs more bulk but looks a talent

7.Nathan Ahmat-Watkins 186cm 76kg pioneers(nt)/west adel - has some potential as a crumbing forward

8.Daniel Farmer 188cm 84kg sand - has raw potential, but thats about it

didn't like the look of (george horlin-smith/viv michie/ben newton/arryn siposs/aaron young)

missed on horlin-smith :(

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.Seb Tape 191cm 81kg glenlg - this kid can @#$%ing play

2.Pat McCarthy 196cm 84kg glenlg - talented tall man, will go top 10

3.Matthew Watson 195cm 101kg cald - ready made player, big tall defender with good ath body, ready for AFL has alot of talent

4.Tom Gordon 194cm 91kg oak - is a clever tall defender, good in the air and on the ground, uses ball well

5.Max Otten 191cm 85kg oak - good contested mark might see him drafted

6.Angus Litherland 190cm 86kg claremont - another running halfback flanker sam gilbert/birchall type

7.Ryan Lester 191cm 83kg oak - solid player, plays well either forward or back uses his body well and also uses the ball well

8.Cameron O'shea 192cm 84kg east - more a tall winger, has some ability but maybe late pick in draft if at all

didnt like the look of(cameron delaney(dowler anyone,spew)/alex johnson(too skinny needs 20kg thats alot of gym time)/David Kruse/justin monaco)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.Ariel Steinberg 191cm 83kg bend - a talented medium forward reminds me of max rooke

2.Sam Day 196cm 96kgsturt - another jack watts? but a bit more filled out, good talented kid

3.Luke Mitchell 198cm 94kg cald - very athletic player, has a Buddy/croady look about him, which is impressive for a player as tall as he is

4.Tom Lynch 199cm 91kg dand - could be a good ruckman with around the ground skills, but would get smashed and bashed as a tall forward good ruckman though

5.Anton Hamp 191cm 80kg claremont - interesting player has potential reminds me of those wce half forward flankers they have so many of

6.Josh Walker 195cm 87kg geel - a tall marking player, seems slow a bit like hawkins, im not a fan of hawkins tbh

7.Darcy Barden 192cm 92kg northern - big bodied lad reminds me of lance whitnall a bit slow but can mark and kick long

8.Jack Darling 191cm 87kg wst perth - quentin leach/roughead type, another big slow guy

didn't like the look of (lucas cook/zac fitzgerald/callum sinclair/jamie solly/jake von bertouch)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.Scott Lycett 202cm 98kg port adel mag - ready made ruckman, really good around the ground marking and general play

2.Daniel Gorringe 200cm 88kg norwood - very talented ruckman good tap ruckman and doesn't mind getting his own ball at times, is way too thin atm and plays more like a tall winger than a solid ruckman but real potential

3.Isaac Baker 185cm 76kg geel - has ability to lead and mark seems clever and good user of the ball, needs to fill out a bit

4.Ozgur Uysal 179cm 75kg cald - has good skills and footy smarts might be an option for a late pick in the draft, small forw

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isaac Smith 187cm 75kg north ball vfl - he has some serious speed is 21 and used to playing footy with men, is a certainty to be drafted i would think, maybe 2nd rder (9)

Richard Bamblett 181cm 77kg north ball - half forw, maybe a late pick or rookie (6.5)

Mitchell Gent 183cm 78kg dand - goal kicking midfielder, likes to run and uses ball well might be around in the third rd of draft, real smoky! (7.5)

Adam Kennedy 181cm 72kg western - worth a look in the rookie draft

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i actually backed in HFC getting I.Smith that draft, was a great get for the club imo, but this was my first and most erratic attempt and judging the young talent pre-draft..............

Mate thats the thing he played his 6th game in the VFL grad final. 4th against us. It is the very reason he wasnt top 10 and we were invested as we had seen him up close and personal at box hill before the finals no one really knew who he was he came from the clouds. I just remember saying who the fu** is this guy as he laid to waste our chances that year at box hill
It was a shock Isaac slid to us it was thought North or Geelong would take him.

It was a shock Isaac slid to us it was thought North or Geelong would take him.
Mate it really wasnt list managers dont generally make decisions on players after 6 games ours was a needs basis pick. Anyways it really doesnt matter some of the other list managers wish the had picked him now of course

Usually agree FP but he was smashing it and had number of clubs interested. Was hitting the scoreboard too.

When it comes to assessing the quality of players it is easy to forget that even when accessing our greats the biggest single factor in their favour is the fact that they played in great teams.
Off the top I can think of only two players in recent times who in their right would be champions in any team; and that is Cyril & Buddy.
The genius of both Jeans and Clarkson is their capacity to build great teams, and that in turn creates great players.

Clearly some players are more gifted than than others but that doesn't mean they will necessarily be successful.

So hopefully in this draft we get the players with the right skill set, mentality and physical capacity, and we can watch Clarko turn some of them into great players in successful teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really hope we don’t trade our future 1st for a 2nd round pick but that must be the aim as no one else wants to trade out of the first round this year.

I really hope we don’t trade our future 1st for a 2nd round pick but that must be the aim as no one else wants to trade out of the first round this year.
You’ve spoken with the other clubs & they’ve all provided the same feedback?

Someone will correct me if I’m wromg, but I recall Smith playing against Box Hill at BoxHill and he did exactly what Davo said - lightning pace, breaking the lines. There can be no doubt that the Hawthorn recruiters who saw that game put a big red line under his name.

Someone will correct me if I’m wromg, but I recall Smith playing against Box Hill at BoxHill and he did exactly what Davo said - lightning pace, breaking the lines. There can be no doubt that the Hawthorn recruiters who saw that game put a big red line under his name.
I remember reading that at or very close to the time.

Apparently torched us & caught our attention.

Based on my reading of this feedback & the highlights of the VFL Grand Final from that year, I was crossing everything known to man that we drafted him. It was my first year following the draft at all & that we got our (my) man made me very happy!

There's a lot of blokes who have torn us a new arseh*le once or twice and done **** all else - should we go full **** Carlton and recruit them all as well?

I remember reading that at or very close to the time.

Apparently torched us & caught our attention.

Based on my reading of this feedback & the highlights of the VFL Grand Final from that year, I was crossing everything known to man that we drafted him. It was my first year following the draft at all & that we got our (my) man made me very happy!

Yes I should have emphasised that point.
Smith absolutely torched us. I remember thinking - “who is that bloke - he‘s killing us”.
Then on draft night we called out his name and I recall thinking - that’s the Smith who murdered us in the Box Hill game. Great pick up.

McAsey reminds me of Matthew Watson.
Similar build and strengths.
Not sure why Watson never made it, apart from being selected by Carlton!

Pretty slow, right?
Yeah, I have always disliked KPD who couldn't defend the lead.
He does some things well, but I am not sure that will be enough to warrant a top 10/11 pick.
I hope he goes early to a club in need, and suspect our moves thus far for Frost/Hartley indicate that we aren't interested.

Was getting bored of the smith argument, so...

The below is from the Isaac Smith recruitment thread a the time he was drafted (Sorry, not sure how to link across threads).

Re: Pick 19 2010 National Draft

From Emma Quayle's predicted 1st round...

15. GEELONG
ISAAC SMITH
Vital information: 21, from North Ballarat Roosters. 187cm, 77kg.

The rationale: The Cats like him, and adding his zip and creativity would help them keep complementing the inside work of Jimmy Bartel, Joel Corey and co. for a little longer.

Paul Daffey's phantom draft...

17. NORTH MELBOURNE - Isaac Smith
Height: 187cm
Weight: 75kg
DOB: 30/12/88
Club: North Ballarat Roosters (Vic)
Draft range: 15-25
Smith is a 21-year-old stringbean wingman with untapped ability. He started 2010 with Ballarat league club Redan and ended it a member of North Ballarat's VFL premiership team. North has plenty of in-and-under midfielders with grunt. They need a midfielder with pace and class.

So he slipped a little?!

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back