List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think that's right.

I can't find anything online as it's all about the people involved in the bid and not how that bid affects other picks. But surely if a bid for Maginness comes at around pick 17 and we use the points from picks 42, 50 and 54 to match it, it's from those picks we have equalled the value. We haven't turned 42, 50 and 54 into pick 17 we have just had to match that bid in regards to points, that pick 17 would still have it's original value of 1025 points by us matching it, that now pick 18 doesn't all of a sudden become only worth 985 points because a bid was matched. So that North Melbourne 2020 second-round should still be worth the points value of pick ~25 which is 756 points, it will not only be worth pick 40 which is only 429 points after all the f/s and academy picks next year.

If someone has some information on this please jump in.

For those wondering Pick 42, 50, 54 & 63 give us enough points to match a bid on Finn from pick 12 onwards. However, I'm beginning to suspect the club believes Finn will not attract a first round bid and are consequently looking for a later first round pick rather than earlier. Something like 2020 First for Pick 18/19. This way we can get two first round picks + Maginness while also keeping some later picks.

It's a risky play which may work in our favour but I can't help feel that everything will collapse if Finn is bid on early and we have to pass.

I am totally lost, AFL have made things so complicated. I am not sure how everyone is following. It would have been nice not to link with next year.
I cannot understand why we need picks 50,73 and we gave up pick 30 to get a second round pick for next year, when next year, who know next year but hearing not as strong as this year.

What we are hearing is that Finn will not be bid on late first round or most likely early second rate, which case a pick 23 onwards will do nicely with 20% discount.

Why do we need pick 11? We have not had for last 10 years and done well enough without it to unearth players like Stratton/Puopolo/Hardwicke/Sicily/Worpel
To me, we should have kept picks 30 & 42. Traded picks 11, 54, 63 to say Adelaide for picks 23,28,37 so they have access to Stephens before Port. It does not need to be exactly like that, but something similar. We have been good at turning good players into better like Impey. With Pick 23 we should be able to get Maginess, Pick 28 Sharp (Wingman) better deal than keeping pick 11 to use on stephens / Harrison Jones (tall) Pick 30, Pick 42 Williams (been linked to), based on Nov phantom, Pick 37 probably a small forward like ned cahill. Even if pick for Maginess comes early which do not believe, not end of the world, there are other good midfielders out there like cooper stephens, schoenberg, Dow, whoever is available. We will have Mitchell/Worpel next year.

Why do we need pick 11? We have not had for last 10 years and done well enough without it to unearth players like Stratton/Puopolo/Hardwicke/Sicily/Worpel

Because we need to add another A grader (yes no guarantees). And pick 11 presents a better opportunity than a pick in the 20s.

If we didn't draft Rough, Lewis, Bud, Hodge, Rioli (all 1st round picks that became A graders) the Stratton and Puopolo pickups would be meaningless because without the 1st round picks we wouldn't have a 3-peat.

I am totally lost, AFL have made things so complicated. I am not sure how everyone is following. It would have been nice not to link with next year.
I cannot understand why we need picks 50,73 and we gave up pick 30 to get a second round pick for next year, when next year, who know next year but hearing not as strong as this year.

From what I understand the rules dictated that we can't trade the 2020 1st round pick unless we have a 2020 2nd rounder. We didn't have it until Norf traded it to us. Picks 50 and 73 gave us back points that we could use for Finn that we lost because we traded the 2019 Pick #30. Happy to be corrected on this.

Adjustments.JPG

Didn’t realise we had 50 during trade week. Is that from the Chad trade last year? Wrighty/Mackenzie always have a plan...

I disagree

I think we believe we have the pieces to challenge for the next 2-3 years with a free agent or 2 and this year is about the next era 5 plus years from now.

Not that they won't contribute short term but we shouldn't factor that in when choosing.

I do like Gould tho also, upside is so overrated
i think we’re looking at Port Adelaide amd what they managed to get out of three first rounders this year. Players like Finn and Gould would be capable of 22+ games next year.

i think we’re looking at Port Adelaide amd what they managed to get out of three first rounders this year. Players like Finn and Gould would be capable of 22+ games next year.
Peter Schwab sheds another tear in a parallel universe every time someone suggests we take Gould.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What we are hearing is that Finn will not be bid on late first round or most likely early second rate, which case a pick 23 onwards will do nicely with 20% discount.

To me, we should have kept picks 30 & 42. Traded picks 11, 54, 63 to say Adelaide for picks 23,28,37 so they have access to Stephens before Port. It does not need to be exactly like that, but something similar. We have been good at turning good players into better like Impey. With Pick 23 we should be able to get Maginess, Pick 28 Sharp (Wingman) better deal than keeping pick 11 to use on stephens / Harrison Jones (tall) Pick 30, Pick 42 Williams (been linked to), based on Nov phantom, Pick 37 probably a small forward like ned cahill. Even if pick for Maginess comes early which do not believe, not end of the world, there are other good midfielders out there like cooper stephens, schoenberg, Dow, whoever is available. We will have Mitchell/Worpel next year.

There is now a fair chance that by the end of the first draft night the Hawks could have two top 20 kids plus Finn for small change.

That’s why.

Last edited:
The club must have a player or players they are keen on at 11 and want Finn with a combination of later picks.

Exactly the way it should be done, really impressed with the clubs work. Ideal situation if we manage to trade into the first round on the night again for our 2020 1st round pick.

Because we need to add another A grader (yes no guarantees). And pick 11 presents a better opportunity than a pick in the 20s.

If we didn't draft Rough, Lewis, Bud, Hodge, Rioli (all 1st round picks that became A graders) the Stratton and Puopolo pickups would be meaningless because without the 1st round picks we wouldn't have a 3-peat.
That is a matter of opinion, some might say we need 3-5 A graders. No one suspected T Mitchell would be A Grader, otherwise Sydney would not have let him go at that price, there is so much element of risk. The risk involved with trying to get one high pick as opposed to 2-3 well known players in the ranges 25-40 is much more. Either way, if you want to access more talent across the field, you need to get creative to get that extra 2-3 good quality players. I understand you want 5-6 top 10 players in a draft or two, but we just do not have access to that.

Do we even have enough points next year for Conor Downie? He will certainly get bid on inside the top 10.
Will he really be top ten? We have Norths 2020 second-round and our 2020 third-round and fourth-round, so we'll have about ~1100 points there. Might need to trade some fringe players and swap some picks around. Top ten? Really?

On Redmi Note 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Will he really be top ten? We have Norths 2020 second-round and our 2020 third-round and fourth-round, so we'll have about ~1100 points there. Might need to trade some fringe players and swap some picks around. Top ten? Really?

On Redmi Note 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app

That’s what some draft experts have been saying. He would go high up in the draft if he wasn’t a NGA player.

Do we even have enough points next year for Conor Downie? He will certainly get bid on inside the top 10.

1. Lots can change in a year, he's not a certainty for top 10 but he could be up there.
2. We don't need enough points because we can go into arrears the next year, or perhaps get some points another way in the trade period.

Getting out of the first round next year and into the first round this year should be a priority because it allows us to get more usable resources and not just have a first rounder that'll be committed to being used on someone.

Would the club wait until draft night to pull the trigger on getting the extra first round pick? Another safe guard for an early bid

Looking more likely Finn isn't attracting a bid til 20s.
Yes - would be stupid to do a deal now unless it was for a top 10 pick.
I still can't see any club giving up a 2019 first rounder for our 2020 first pick but stranger things have happened so who knows.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back