List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

That is a matter of opinion, some might say we need 3-5 A graders.

We need a minimum of 8 A graders to be serious about competing at the pointy end of the season. During our recent era we had 10+ on our list. Right now we have 6, two of which are unlikely to improve on previous performance. We need to add / develop a minimum of 2 more in the next 2 years and hope that some of our B and C grade players become B+

No one suspected T Mitchell would be A Grader, otherwise Sydney would not have let him go at that price, there is so much element of risk.
What? He was A grade when we drafted him, hence we traded a first round pick. He was best on ground in a losing grand final. For whatever reason, he wanted a trade to us so Sydney were forced to deal. Brad Hill wanted a trade to Freo and we let him go for peanuts. That's footy.

I understand you want 5-6 top 10 players in a draft or two, but we just do not have access to that.

No, but it doesn't mean our system can't develop them to become a top 10 pick when you look back at the draft retrospectively.

My ideal draft this year would be Stephens or Robertson (not sure on kemp due to how he did his knee), Maginness then trade in at around pick 20 to get Rantall or Bianco (both will be guns). It’s a lot of midfielders but if at least 2 kick on that’s our midfield sorted for 8+ years with Worpel added in. Plus it would make our midfield a strength in 2-3 years time when it has been pretty weak the last couple of years.

Shhhhh highlighted a month or two ago that we are very keen on this draft.

Yep. I get the feeling our latest team is sort of being assemble ass about to the 2008 / 3peat teams

The 2008 / 3peat teams were assemble by:
  • Hodge / S. Mitchell draft
  • Roughie / Franklin / Lewis draft
  • Trading in Gibson / Burgoyne / Hale / McEvoy / Gunston / Lake / Guerra
  • Hitting on the sole early draft pick in Rioli
  • Hitting on late draft picks Smith / Breust / Puopolo / Stratton / Suckling

The latest team albeit nowhere near as talented is being assembled by:
  • Trading in T. Mitchell / O'Meara / Wingard
  • Hitting on late draft picks Sicily / Worpel / Lewis / Hardwick
  • Value trades in Scrimshaw / Scully / Patton (jury still out)
  • Hitting on early draft picks?

If we can get strike gold at the draft next week then with some luck we'll be right in the thick of things IMO.

My ideal draft this year would be Stephens or Robertson (not sure on kemp due to how he did his knee), Maginness then trade in at around pick 20 to get Rantall or Bianco (both will be guns). It’s a lot of midfielders but if at least 2 kick on that’s our midfield sorted for 8+ years with Worpel added in. Plus it would make our midfield a strength in 2-3 years time when it has been pretty weak the last couple of years.

I’m in the same boat if available would prefer Robertson or Stephens. Kemp is compared to Cripps because of his size and wouldn’t that be great to have in the midfield. But he mainly played as a defender as a junior and started to play more midfield just before his injury which will probably see him sit out all of next year.

Anyway have faith in our recruiters they know best.

Ideally we'd be looking at Freos pick 10. They've already used Pick 7, though their already in the situation we want to be in. Pick 10 and 58 for our future 1st and 42. We'd still have enough for matching Finn bid.

Though reality says Ports 16 or GC at 15 are more achievable, if a player we really want is still available.
Remember we don't want our first next year.. unless we have a shocker and finish bottom 8, so we get a cheap bud on a possible top 10 kid.

It'll all be discussed with every club and trade options will be canvassed on a thousand possible scenarios. Relax folks, they'll (we'll) get it right on the night.

I’ve seen downie play half a dozen times and by no means is he a certain top 10, not even a certain first rounder. If he comes out and blitzes next year that’ll be awesome, but I wouldn’t stress about not having points to match for him. Just in Oakleighs team there’s probably 3-4 players that will go ahead of him, that’s not even including the rest of the tac and other states

Why would Port trade in pick 16 and then trade it out?
Not saying they will but trading draft picks is like trading shares.. if you get a chance to sell at a profit, then it doesn't matter when or how they were obtained. The difference is the profit, at least initally, is speculative not monetary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. I get the feeling our latest team is sort of being assemble ass about to the 2008 / 3peat teams

The 2008 / 3peat teams were assemble by:
  • Hodge / S. Mitchell draft
  • Roughie / Franklin / Lewis draft
  • Trading in Gibson / Burgoyne / Hale / McEvoy / Gunston / Lake / Guerra
  • Hitting on the sole early draft pick in Rioli
  • Hitting on late draft picks Smith / Breust / Puopolo / Stratton / Suckling

The latest team albeit nowhere near as talented is being assembled by:
  • Trading in T. Mitchell / O'Meara / Wingard
  • Hitting on late draft picks Sicily / Worpel / Lewis / Hardwick
  • Value trades in Scrimshaw / Scully / Patton (jury still out)
  • Hitting on early draft picks?

If we can get strike gold at the draft next week then with some luck we'll be right in the thick of things IMO.

Smith was an early pick, i remember that draft, i was keen on us picking him up as he was lightning for North Ballarat, i had never seen a winger tear apart the VFL like that in his first year, he would run from half back all the way to kick goals inside the 50, i think we were lucky he got to us at pick 19, back then clubs didnt usually give players over 20 a chance like they do now, so we got lucky that was the case.

also Birchall was an early pick, B.Hill an earlish pick, Guerra was delisted by Port, similar to Henderson, a really good player delisted for no good reason and we took advantage of those 2 situations.

Last edited:
I’ve seen downie play half a dozen times and by no means is he a certain top 10, not even a certain first rounder. If he comes out and blitzes next year that’ll be awesome, but I wouldn’t stress about not having points to match for him. Just in Oakleighs team there’s probably 3-4 players that will go ahead of him, that’s not even including the rest of the tac and other states

yea exactly, i have said it a few times at this stage he(C.Downie) would be approx pick range 15-35 at an early prediction, obviously his draft year will have a big influence, last year i predicted Finn Maginness was around 35-50 when he played on the wing and had less influence on games, but since he played more inside mid and contested footy that has come down to 15-30 (i have him from my PoV about 20-25 in my lists, but i understand a few have him slightly higher)

Ideally we'd be looking at Freos pick 10. They've already used Pick 7, though their already in the situation we want to be in. Pick 10 and 58 for our future 1st and 42. We'd still have enough for matching Finn bid.

Though reality says Ports 16 or GC at 15 are more achievable, if a player we really want is still available.
Remember we don't want our first next year.. unless we have a shocker and finish bottom 8, so we get a cheap bud on a possible top 10 kid.

It'll all be discussed with every club and trade options will be canvassed on a thousand possible scenarios. Relax folks, they'll (we'll) get it right on the night.
Freo have traded pick 10 and 28 to Melb for pick 8 they now hold pick 7 and 8 on draft night Melbourne have 3 picks inside top 30 .

Smith was an early pick, i remember that draft, i was keen on us picking him up as he was lightning for North Ballarat, i had never seen a winger tear apart the VFL like that in his first year, he would run from half back all the way to kick goals inside the 50, i think we were lucky he got to us at pick 19, back then clubs didnt usually give players over 20 a chance like they do now, so we got lucky that was the case.

also Birchall was an early pick, B.Hill an earlish pick, Guerra was delisted by Port, similar to Henderson, a really good player delisted for no good reason and we took advantage of those 2 situations.
The stuff about smith completely untrue
Revisionist stuff. Smith was a total unknown playing country footy. Played like 4 games including the semi against us along with one david hale. Both moved to hawthorn the next year.

Smith was unknown quantity came out of the blue many were surprised we picked him when we did.

Freo have traded pick 10 and 28 to Melb for pick 8 they now hold pick 7 and 8 on draft night Melbourne have 3 picks inside top 30 .
Probably pretty safe to say we won’t be getting Stephens or Robertson now. Freo will pick them up at 7 and 8 now if they aren’t already off the board.

Not any more...

I am totally lost, AFL have made things so complicated. I am not sure how everyone is following. It would have been nice not to link with next year.
I cannot understand why we need picks 50,73 and we gave up pick 30 to get a second round pick for next year, when next year, who know next year but hearing not as strong as this year.

I love it personally. Much more interesting and I enjoy unpacking all the points/discounts/future picks etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back