List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

After matching bids our 1st round selection is going to end up being no 13 isn't it ? I must say I'm not a fan of the academy system etc, if you're going to have draft system it should be a transparent open draft system, that means any player can land anywhere much like the NBA.

I’ve seen downie play half a dozen times and by no means is he a certain top 10, not even a certain first rounder. If he comes out and blitzes next year that’ll be awesome, but I wouldn’t stress about not having points to match for him. Just in Oakleighs team there’s probably 3-4 players that will go ahead of him, that’s not even including the rest of the tac and other states
Downie plays at Eastern

When it comes to assessing the quality of players it is easy to forget that even when accessing our greats the biggest single factor in their favour is the fact that they played in great teams.
Off the top I can think of only two players in recent times who in their right would be champions in any team; and that is Cyril & Buddy.
The genius of both Jeans and Clarkson is their capacity to build great teams, and that in turn creates great players.

Clearly some players are more gifted than than others but that doesn't mean they will necessarily be successful.

So hopefully in this draft we get the players with the right skill set, mentality and physical capacity, and we can watch Clarko turn some of them into great players in successful teams.

Some of our players sacrificed the extent of their brilliance to the team ethic too

After matching bids our 1st round selection is going to end up being no 13 isn't it ? I must say I'm not a fan of the academy system etc, if you're going to have draft system it should be a transparent open draft system, that means any player can land anywhere much like the NBA.

Or go the full bidding on every pick. Theres so much fiddling going on its ridiculous. Two teams helping themselves but shafting the other 16. Same with free agency and compensation picks

I concur with TFP, there was a bit of buzz about Omith but he was a speculative pick and expected to go 20-40 at best. I thought we had serially f’ed up at the time.
I won’t quote your post back to you from the time (out of good manners 😜) but there was some sentiment on this board that he had slipped to us.

Emma Quayle has him going to 15. Knightmare was a big fan too.

Re: Pick 19 <insert player name> 2010 National Draft

From Emma Quayle's predicted 1st round...

15. GEELONG
ISAAC SMITH
Vital information: 21, from North Ballarat Roosters. 187cm, 77kg.

The rationale: The Cats like him, and adding his zip and creativity would help them keep complementing the inside work of Jimmy Bartel, Joel Corey and co. for a little longer.

Paul Daffey's phantom draft...

17. NORTH MELBOURNE - Isaac Smith
Height: 187cm
Weight: 75kg
DOB: 30/12/88
Club: North Ballarat Roosters (Vic)
Draft range: 15-25
Smith is a 21-year-old stringbean wingman with untapped ability. He started 2010 with Ballarat league club Redan and ended it a member of North Ballarat's VFL premiership team. North has plenty of in-and-under midfielders with grunt. They need a midfielder with pace and class.

So he slipped a little?!
Really good get. Glad he slipped to us.
We're talking about a wingman that has great dash and can take a game on. Just what we needed.
Glad for Hawthorn they took my guy at 19.

Smith is one of those players who could take a team over the edge and I feel is a real big game player.

Has been some mention about his kicking on an earlier page. Has real hurt factor on that kick and some nice penetration which could be made into a real weapon to compliment his speed, still developing and can at times be inconsistant, but nothing that can't get fixed up in the full time AFL environment.

His trademark is his incredible speed which on a wing feels like that of Chris Judd at his best. Will really inject some energy and enthusiasm on the outside to compliment your hard inside brigade.

Made the step up at VFL football without any difficulty and I don't see him having much trouble making the step up to AFL football.

Don't put him in your dream teams from round 1. He isn't Michael Barlow and won't be that kind of accumulator. But this kid has allot of upside and development left and really stands out as a player who could have a serious impact. While he probably won't play from round 1, it is not beyond him to play 15 games in season 1 and the finals I think Smith will be brilliant. Really has the big game temperament and I think he will win a few big games for you.

Gil said on the road to draft podcast that the league is happy to slightly compromise the draft if it means teams get rewarded for finding more talent. I think it's fair because one NGA kid on one teams list leaves another kid to be picked up by someone else.

Gil said on the road to draft podcast that the league is happy to slightly compromise the draft if it means teams get rewarded for finding more talent. I think it's fair because one NGA kid on one teams list leaves another kid to be picked up by someone else.

How do you measure that more talent has been found? It's an unprovable argument that is bound to be warped to unfair ends. Would CJ not make a list without the NGA? If not, then why are we putting him in the academy at all since we could put that time and effort into a better player? If he can, then why do we even need the program but to keep him off limits with first pick rights?

I'm all for expanding the footprint and talent pool of footy, don't get me wrong. I'm not sure that there is anyway to measure the effectiveness of NGA beyond providing good feelz and it's really just one more way for the AFL to rort the system. I reckon they did it because of the pressure they got over giving GSW free and exclusive access to so much recruiting territory, so they dreamed up this NGA scheme as a way to give the other clubs their own recruiting grounds but minimally limited in order to not make it a complete return to the pre-AFL territory model.

You want talent to bloom in the rural areas? Invest in country footy. You want kids from minority or immigrant backgrounds to play footy? Then expand Auskick into those communities with gusto. I'm 99.9% sure NGA is rort dressed in feel-good clothing.

Sadly I think we're just going to miss out on Robertson, Kemp and Stephens.

If that happens still think that some quality will still be available. Cooper Stephens is someone. We have done bloody well in drafting quality mids from the Geelong Falcons over the years. He was their co-captain, named vice captain of Vic Country before his injury ruled him out of the championships so obvious leadership qualities. A good size mid at 6 2, 83 kg, excellent in the contest and uses the ball pretty well from footage I have seen. During the combine equal 1st in yo-yo test, equal 7th in running vertical jump and 8th in 2 km time trial. Excellent endurance.

Get Cooper and Finn on top of Worps our midfield could look good for the next decade 🤞

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Freo take Stephens and Robertson, it will mean someone like Ash, Young, Serong or Flanders will slide. I'd be happy with any of those, but Flanders or Serong would be fantastic.
Just got to hope someone takes McAsey before us or Melbourne takes a small forward. Only way one of those above slides to 13

If Freo take Stephens and Robertson, it will mean someone like Ash, Young, Serong or Flanders will slide. I'd be happy with any of those, but Flanders or Serong would be fantastic.

Serong will be snapped up by Carlton - they've put the most work into Serong & Kemp and will likely take whoever is available out of the two. Of course now that Melbourne holds Pick 10 it likely means they won't be taking Kemp because they don't need more midfielders. I also really hope they decide to be useful and bid on Green with Pick 3 - completely stuffing over GWS. It also means that two highly rated players may slide to us if Melbourne go for a small forward. Something along the lines of:

Pick 1 (GC): Rowell
Pick 2 (GC): Anderson
Pick 3 (GWS matched bid): Green
Pick 4 (Melbourne): Jackson
Pick 6 (Sydney): Young
Pick 7 (Adelaide): Flanders
Pick 8 (Fremantle): Stephens
Pick 9 (Fremantle): Roberston
Pick 10 (Carlton): Serong
Pick 11 (Melbourne): Weightman/Pickett
Pick 12 (Hawthorn): Kemp/Ash

If Melbourne don't bid on Green only one player slides to us assuming Melbourne takes a small forward with 10 - if they don't then we have to choose between the next best (McAsey/Rivers/Weightman/Pickett/Sharp/Worrell). There has been some murmurings Adelaide have put a lot of work into McAsey but I feel like they'd be stupid to go down that route with better players available.

Yeah i just can't see Melbourne bidding on Green just to muck with GWS. Green is the type of player they need the least. I think it will go something like:

Pick 1 - Rowell (Gold Coast)
Pick 2 - Anderson (Gold Coast)
Pick 3 - Jackson (Melbourne)
Pick 4 - Young (GWS)
Pick 5 - Green (GWS) *Matched Bid*
Pick 6 - Flanders (Sydney)
Pick 7 - McAsey (Adelaide)
Pick 8 - Stephens (Fremantle)
Pick 9 - Robertson (Fremantle)
Pick 10 - Serong (Carlton)
Pick 11 - Ash (Melbourne)
Pick 12 - Henry (Fremantle) *Matched Bid*
Pick 13 - Kemp (Hawthorn)

Would love for the demons to nominate Green. That way I can see gws wanting to match and trading pick 4 to either Geelong or Suns, where we can get involved. We send our 2020 1st to GWS, GWS sends pick 4 to either Geelong or Suns, Geelong/Suns give GWS pick 17/20, Geelong Suns give us pick 14/15.

How do you measure that more talent has been found? It's an unprovable argument that is bound to be warped to unfair ends. Would CJ not make a list without the NGA? If not, then why are we putting him in the academy at all since we could put that time and effort into a better player? If he can, then why do we even need the program but to keep him off limits with first pick rights?

I'm all for expanding the footprint and talent pool of footy, don't get me wrong. I'm not sure that there is anyway to measure the effectiveness of NGA beyond providing good feelz and it's really just one more way for the AFL to rort the system. I reckon they did it because of the pressure they got over giving GSW free and exclusive access to so much recruiting territory, so they dreamed up this NGA scheme as a way to give the other clubs their own recruiting grounds but minimally limited in order to not make it a complete return to the pre-AFL territory model.

You want talent to bloom in the rural areas? Invest in country footy. You want kids from minority or immigrant backgrounds to play footy? Then expand Auskick into those communities with gusto. I'm 99.9% sure NGA is rort dressed in feel-good clothing.

Exactly. As if Heeney, Mills and Blakey weren't going to play AFL without the $tain's academy.

To remove the unfairness, rather than introduce more academies, the AFL should simply have removed the 20% discount. By doing this, the club with the academy still gets priority selection but they pay market value for the talent.

Exactly. As if Heeney, Mills and Blakey weren't going to play AFL without the $tain's academy.

To remove the unfairness, rather than introduce more academies, the AFL should simply have removed the 20% discount. By doing this, the club with the academy still gets priority selection but they pay market value for the talent.

Or keep the various discounts and allow bidding on every pick, auction style

I won’t quote your post back to you from the time (out of good manners 😜) but there was some sentiment on this board that he had slipped to us.

Emma Quayle has him going to 15. Knightmare was a big fan too.
I can remember my brother raving about him. I still had no idea who he was when we drafted him.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back