Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Losing two wingers for two inside mids while we already have guys like Blakely, Brayshaw and Cerra being wasted out of position? No thanks.

We can't just stock up on more kids.

Get S.Hill right he takes one wing & Blakely/Nathan Wilson assumes Langdon's spot.

Centre bounces next year - Darcy,Fyfe,T.Kelly & Gus Brayshaw...the ball will be banged in to our F50 a lot.

You’ll find these next few weeks a pretty simple process freo side - Bell et al will meet with every current player and ask the simple question - do you want to be here, if you do, here is what it will look like

If there’s hesitation or wanting out, Bell will trade.

Fan side - it’ll be tough as we may see a few leaves fall from the trees and we will continue to get smashed by the media, even more so if ***** Eagles go deep in sept.

I honestly believe we will take as many picks as possible and go to the draft unless we can negotiate a fair trade for Kelly, Gus or to the lesser Bolton.

I see us missing Kelly, which I’m ok about, going hard for Gus, which I’m happy about and giving a crack at Bolton, both id be happy to get.

I also see us loosing both Hills, keeping Langdon, which I’m unhappy about, and going to the draft with 2 top 10 picks and a bunch of others.

Bell will be highly visible and look to create a space of stabilisation - tbh I bet they can’t wait for this season to be done and get moving in to this next phase.

I’m excited...but I’ll be very hard pressed to re-new my memberships if Suma is in charge next season.... J-Lo for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If Suma gets in......I get my pic of the empty seats at optus next year lol. Level 5 FTW!

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Geelong flexing in the press that they'll only accept two first round picks for Kelly 'at a starting point'. I hope to hell he chooses West Coast. He's a great player but our problem is depth across the full 22 and further, Kelly isn't going to turn us into a finals contender with what we've lost along the way.

Like all teams, our best 22 is very good, but we can not sustain winning & consistent football when we suffer injuries and our history suggests we're going to have them.

Transferring our Hill & Langdon compensation for one player would be a disaster IMO, because the club's trying to pump the brakes on falling membership numbers. I just know Alcock's desperate to show the members something shiny and new entering 2020 as a marketing strategy.
I think 'shiny & new' will come in the form of the new coach imo. Not really expecting Freo to chase a star player for that purpose

Geelong want to top 10 picks, as a starter!! Good luck Toast, and i don't think Bell will be that stupid
All the talk leading up to the trade period will be all about hyping up player value and what would be expected to complete trades but I'd expect deals for less to be worked out behind closed doors in the end.

Is Kelly worth two top 10 picks? No. You're entering contracted Fyfe territory here.

Is Kelly worth two first round picks if contracted? Yes

Is Kelly worth two first round picks if uncontracted? Generally no unless both picks are at the back end of the first round.

Geelong are clearly posturing. They know he's gone so the games start now.

Agreed, Kelly and no first round would be an interesting dilemma, if Hill could be convinced to stay but Langdon leaves we would need to trade our first round pick (currently 6 I think) and likely leave us with only a couple of second round picks. Still if there were no other surprise exits would you do it?

A midfield of Kelly, Fyfe, Brayshaw, Hill, Walters, Blakely, Tucker

and then there's Cerra, Mundy, Banfield, Giro, Bewley, Valente

We so need more quality young players for the long term but that's not a horrible midfield and a vote of confidence that Freo will be pushing for finals next year. At the very least its a good coaching change and a friendly run with injuries from a much more enjoyable 2019.

If Hill stayed, yes I would absolutely do it. 6 for Kelly is reasonable value I think, any more becomes problematic. You could do it with an eye to using the Langdon compensation for Henry and grabbing one of the other WA kids later on.

Ultimately I think it will come down to whether Geelong prefers a top 6 pick now, two picks in the 15-19 range from WCE (assuming they don't offer Brander), or just take the risk on Kelly for another year.

My fear is that Bell/new appointee will overpay for Kelly because of the 'we've missed out on gun WA players' idea.

Sean Darcy leaving would be as big a loss as Hill for Freo because we have no plan B now without pi**ing Lobb off (assuming he hasn't changed his mind about being primarily ruck with maybe Tabs rotating). Would seriously need to cancel out Geelong's overs they'd be expecting for Kelly (almost a swap of players and 1st picks, not that I think the Cats would do it). Three years development into him, and he's developing quickly, we'd need a ready made replacement as well as a long term draft option.

Needn't be a world beater but competitive and able to play regularly, apart from Ryder who would even be an option? Tom Nicholls from Gold Coast? Hasn't played a game this year behind Witts but has played all year in the NEAFL, 27yrs old, a restricted FA and the one thing Freo could offer is regular game time.

Wouldn't want to pay overs for him but who else apart from hoping to strike it lucky from a state league? Or do we think Meek might be able to step up?
I reckon Vardy from across town would offer something here

Is Kelly worth two top 10 picks? No. You're entering contracted Fyfe territory here.

Is Kelly worth two first round picks if contracted? Yes

Is Kelly worth two first round picks if uncontracted? Generally no unless both picks are at the back end of the first round.

Geelong are clearly posturing. They know he's gone so the games start now.
To be fair the article never indicates two early picks and also says starting point.

West Coast might have say pick 17 and trade up to get pick 15.

Picks 15,17 are two first round picks.

Pick 5,6 also assumes we will get pick 5 which we don’t have and may never have.

We currently have pick 6. That is more valuable than two late first rounders but really depends on what Geelong want.

I’d say one top 10 pick plus a sweetener will be the mark. Very similar to BHill but the sweetener might be a little better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Learn to read ... that is why I have said Lobb at FF permanent and only used as a ruck if Darcy or Ryder are out. Keep Meek developing in WAFL.
Getting Ryder with the intention of playing him with Darcy is a terrible idea. First off, he is a shadow of the player he used to be. Second, he is an ordinary forward.

Three whole idea of lobb is that he isn't a liability when forward.

On the AFL Facebook page they linked freo with Mason Wood... but to play on a wing. I don’t mind that idea.

Bolton
Jack Martin
Kelly
Angus brayshaw

I’d be happy with 1 of those 4

I wouldn't be rushing to offer Meek in any trade as you certainly would not get what he is worth. His last Peel game was very impressive. Unfortunate he got injured in the last few minutes. I really thought he had turned the corner.

We can't just stock up on more kids.

Get S.Hill right he takes one wing & Blakely/Nathan Wilson assumes Langdon's spot.

Centre bounces next year - Darcy,Fyfe,T.Kelly & Gus Brayshaw...the ball will be banged in to our F50 a lot.
You're not really understanding what I am saying. If we have Fyfe, Kelly and Gus as our main inside mids then that leaves Mundy, Walters, Blakely, Brayshaw, Cerra, Tucker and Conca all in other positions which is a liability and also a waste. Let alone guys like Valente, Banfield, North and Crowden plus any draftees that we get.

S.Hill is basically done imo and Blakely isn't a winger. Also sick of hearing about Wilson on the wing tbh, he wouldn't run nearly enough km's and we already lack drive off half back as it is.

I agree that we can't stock up on kids, but losing Hill and Ed for Gus and TK makes our already shitty team balance even shitter. We should go for one of those two plus someone like Bolton for a wing, not two outside mids for two inside mids when we already have too many inside mids playing out of position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back