Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main question is though if we end up trading away both Brad Hill and Ed Langdon, who realistically do we trade in or just slot on the wing with our current list? Heard people on here saying Hughes could be a decent bodied winger, same with Duman. Interested to hear what others think.
Jones and Darcy :p

Hughes kicking is at Langdon levels.. Duman would need to learn to take the game on more.

If Carter had a bigger tank he might be an option.

I suspect who we gain in trade period will govern our draft pick selections.
Hughes has the pace, the endurance and you're right that the kicking would be not an improvement.

What he would offer is another marking target up the field and another big body around the ball.

If we lose Langdon and Hill it will be an unmitigated disaster that will see us out finals for the next 3 years unless they are replaced with best 22 level players, which draftees are not.

Sam Walsh is unique in that he has become a teams 3rd best midfielder in his firsr year.

That almost never happens.

Losing our outside run will be a disaster, esoecially if it is just for draft picks. B Hill should be held to his contract.

For me a it'll depend on the picks we get and if the club can use them to bring talent in, like Rion said would rather keep them (especially Hill) but if they want to leave all you can do is make the best of it.

Brad Hill, again would 100% rather keep but a late first rounder shouldn't be too far off?
Langdon imo is more speculative, not a fan favourite lately but is he still showing enough to get a second round pick, I'm not sure?

I know people say picks are overated but I'm hoping Freo can bring in a mix of draft and at least 1 (preferably 2) more mature best 22 options, Free agency would be handy and salary cap shouldnt be an issue considering we've started the clean out a couple of months before the end of the season but more than likely we'll need currency and at the moment satisfying any worthwhile trade would take too big of a hit to our draft prospects.

Last edited:
The main question is though if we end up trading away both Brad Hill and Ed Langdon, who realistically do we trade in or just slot on the wing with our current list? Heard people on here saying Hughes could be a decent bodied winger, same with Duman. Interested to hear what others think.

Stephens from the draft looks good.
Sharpe maybe.

Hughes is a poorer version of Langdon (shit skills, less run and carry). I doubt Duman would have the fitness to run up and down the wing all game to break the lines.

I don't really see anyone else in our side that would replace them, who finishes in the top 10 of the 5k and 10k at the club?

Stephens from the draft looks good.
Sharpe maybe.

Hughes is a poorer version of Langdon (s**t skills, less run and carry). I doubt Duman would have the fitness to run up and down the wing all game to break the lines.

I don't really see anyone else in our side that would replace them, who finishes in the top 10 of the 5k and 10k at the club?
Tucker would be on one wing I'd suspect, and hopefully one of Bolton/Baker will come in. Again, doubt we will trade Hill unless we know we can get a decent winger in return

For me a it'll depend on the picks we get and if the club can use them to bring talent in, like Rion said would rather keep them (especially Hill) but if they want to leave all you can do is make the best of it.

Brad Hill, again would 100% rather keep but a late first rounder shouldn't be too far off?
Langdon imo is more speculative, not a fan favourite lately but is he still showing enough to get a second round pick, I'm not sure?

I know people say picks are overated but I'm hoping Freo can bring in a mix of draft and at least 1 (preferably 2) more mature best 22 options, Free agency would be handy and salary cap shouldnt be an issue considering we've started the clean out a couple of months before the end of the season but more than likely we'll need currency and at the moment satisfying any worthwhile trade would take too big of a hit to our draft prospects.

Brad hill for a late first would be a fair way off

Tucker would be on one wing I'd suspect, and hopefully one of Bolton/Baker will come in. Again, doubt we will trade Hill unless we know we can get a decent winger in return
Yeah probably.

I am not really sure he has the pace to play that well in that role, although I do like the idea of getting the ball in his hands with space to kick it.

I agree. Tucker gets a wing. Cerra gets the other. Conca and Stephen Hill get time there. Carter should. Baker if he comes...

We have options.

It's not like Eagles panicked when Mitchell and Priddis left. They just gave Sheed and Hutchings more responsibility, held their picks and went to the draft. In 2017 they took Brander, Allen, Ryan, Ainsworth, Pertuccelle and Brayshaw... and won a premiership 12 months later.

It's not like we're contending. Top-up players aren't where we're at.

A really big draft and a host of fresh, young faces might be the best thing for the whole club: on-field and off. I know I'd certainly feel better if I looked at the list and we had 6-7 good kids from the draft and a couple of new Rookies.

It's not out of the realms of possibility that we could take 2 first Rounders and 3 seconds to this draft. It would be the biggest influx of talent for over a decade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. Tucker gets a wing. Cerra gets the other. Conca and Stephen Hill get time there. Carter should. Baker if he comes...

We have options.

It's not like Eagles panicked when Mitchell and Priddis left. They just gave Sheed and Hutchings more responsibility, held their picks and went to the draft. In 2017 they took Brander, Allen, Ryan, Ainsworth, Pertuccelle and Brayshaw... and won a premiership 12 months later.

It's not like we're contending. Top-up players aren't where we're at.

A really big draft and a host of fresh, young faces might be the best thing for the whole club: on-field and off. I know I'd certainly feel better if I looked at the list and we had 6-7 good kids from the draft and a couple of new Rookies.

It's not out of the realms of possibility that we could take 2 first Rounders and 3 seconds to this draft. It would be the biggest influx of talent for over a decade.
Definitely agree with this. The last few years I've been big on trading in and we've done well in that regard but it's time to hit the draft hard this year (especially with so many good WA kids in the draft) and hopefully get two of Robertson, Henry (lock) and Sharp. If B Hill and Langdon leave hopefully we get good picks and take some good WA boys.

On SM-G611F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think we will see Cerra playing in the middle for most of the game before we see him running arc to arc on the wing. It's a whole different athletic game.

It's like Mundy on the wing. He could cover the distances but he'd get torched.
The wing is interesting though, Henderson at the Hawks isn’t one I’d thought to play there, but is probably in consideration for AA.

The wing is interesting though, Henderson at the Hawks isn’t one I’d thought to play there, but is probably in consideration for AA.
Not convinced Bewley can't be a decent winger either. Probably one of our better kicks with decent speed and endurance. We just don't get the ball in his hands enough for some reason.

I
Not convinced Bewley can't be a decent winger either. Probably one of our better kicks with decent speed and endurance. We just don't get the ball in his hands enough for some reason.
I agree, it’s all about opportunity. Hill & Langdon have that real outside license to receive where Bewley when in hasn’t been given that opportunity for long enough. He has been responsible for an opposition player & then has to try to win the ball on turnover.
Let’s face it Gaff & Sheed aren’t lightening, but are given the license to play without too much concern for an opponent.
The zone of WC covers them & allows for them to push forward quickly on turnover. Eg the last goal of the gf to Sheed is the prime example.

If people were losing their shit at performances this year, take Hill and Langdon out.

Chief will have to upgrade the servers to handle all the melts.

Bewley covers/defends the wing that’s opposite the contest, it’s an unrewarded hard running job

We should be asking why Colin Young felt it necessary to single out the club over a player who was never going to garner a new contract.

He has a self interest here... people are speculating that it’s Sumich but Young has specifically targeted the rehab processes.

I’m going to suggest that he’s clearly upset about Bennell & Kersten but primarily that he’s trying to salvage a deal for Stephen Hill, who’s suitors may have cooled significantly recently.

I can’t see enough motivation outside of that,

The only problem I have with that is generally the best thing is to clear the round you think the bid will come in. Henry should be 15-25, so we want to get ahead of that, turn our current second into more points in the third (Bulldogs have three early rd 3's). But, we can also do the easy option and have a few 2nds waiting for one to be eaten up by Henry then use the other on a different kid.
Just wondering if you’re aware there was a change in draft and bid matching rules before last years draft, where clubs can only take as many picks to the draft as you have available list spots.

Down grading an early-ish pick in to multiple picks with the plan to use those picks and points to match a bid, then leaves you with picks at the very back end of the draft to use once all the other clubs have made their selections.

Or run with a short senior list, and fill those list spots in the rookie draft.

Just wondering if you’re aware there was a change in draft and bid matching rules before last years draft, where clubs can only take as many picks to the draft as you have available list spots.

Down grading an early-ish pick in to multiple picks with the plan to use those picks and points to match a bid, then leaves you with picks at the very back end of the draft to use once all the other clubs have made their selections.

Or run with a short senior list, and fill those list spots in the rookie draft.
Yeah but clubs still do it anyway when they can upgrade a few rookies which we’ll do with Carter and a couple of others. Won’t be a problem using dead picks at the end of the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back