Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlike those in the East some on here actually get to see the WA youngsters . ;)
So we should draft wa players and wa players only because a few posters here have seen them play? Well, guess we better trade Brayshaw, Ryan, Tabs, Darcy, Sturt, Valente and shouldn't bother asking for #2 for B. Hill. I mean, if you guys have seen local talent play once or twice, but not the vic kids, then how could I possibly question that.

For obvious reasons, talent>post code. If you purely draft locals and don't take risks, then you're going nowhere. Commonsense really.

So we should draft wa players and wa players only because a few posters here have seen them play? Well, guess we better trade Brayshaw, Ryan, Tabs, Darcy, Sturt, Valente and shouldn't bother asking for #2 for B. Hill. I mean, if you guys have seen local talent play once or twice, but not the vic kids, then how could I possibly question that.

For obvious reasons, talent>post code. If you purely draft locals and don't take risks, then you're going nowhere. Commonsense really.
I understand what you're saying but if two players are of a similar skill level but one is a WA boy and one is from interstate you'd take the WA kid. Mainly to eliminate go home factor and having to pay overs to bring them back years later.

On SM-G611F using BigFooty.com mobile app

What if none of your risks pay off and all the WA talent turns out to be just what you need?
Fair question Bicco. I'd say Brayshaw, Darcy, Ryan, Tabs have paid off massively thus far. Neale was an enormous success (didn't leave because he was homesick and got plenty of good quality footy from him). Where Langdon was drafted and what he's produced is a tick.

Two of our greatest ever players - Pavlich and Mundy aren't even from WA.

Also goes both ways though, we took Simpson over Grundy.

I understand what you're saying but if two players are of a similar skill level but one is a WA boy and one is from interstate you'd take the WA kid. Mainly to eliminate go home factor and having to pay overs to bring them back years later.

On SM-G611F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree completely. If the skill level is rated the same, then the local product should be chosen. But this board just wants WA kids in general, even talking about trading down the draft to get WA kids instead of other higher rated players. Choose talent, question the hunger and commitment, if both players are equal, choose the local, but if the non WA kid is better, choose him.

Agree completely. If the skill level is rated the same, then the local product should be chosen. But this board just wants WA kids in general, even talking about trading down the draft to get WA kids instead of other higher rated players. Choose talent, question the hunger and commitment, if both players are equal, choose the local, but if the non WA kid is better, choose him.
Or if the hi end talent is vicco. Trade your 1st round for a couple of solid second rounder & buy local.
Dont include mundy and pav in your argument. That was a different era.

We seem to have stuck to a plan of drafting people from country towns and mainly from victoria, but also from SA as well as country WA. From a retention point of view the plan seems to work. My observation is that players from small counrty towns are more likey to settle well in Perth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who said we should only draft WA kids? But we have overlooked a lot of top local talent.
Go through the list of WA boys that were available and we passed on.
If you missed it we passed on Brad Hill first time around.
WC are going ok with the WA boys we had access to and passed on.
How about going through the East coast busts we've bought over.

Who said we should only draft WA kids? But we have overlooked a lot of top local talent.
Go through the list of WA boys that were available and we passed on.
If you missed it we passed on Brad Hill first time around.
WC are going ok with the WA boys we had access to and passed on.
How about going through the East coast busts we've bought over.
16 WA boys invited to the draft combine, suggests that the talent here is doing okay. Could be another
Magnificent 7 draft.

Another overlooked boy in Bobby Hill is going ok.
Obviously we didn't need a quick , clever small forward.:rolleyes:
Probably did, but we have a few coming through the academy. Maybe that influenced things. Bit strange we didn't take the opportunity to get Bolton last year as well. Richmond pretty much offered him for peanuts, if the talk is true.

Probably did, but we have a few coming through the academy. Maybe that influenced things. Bit strange we didn't take the opportunity to get Bolton last year as well. Richmond pretty much offered him for peanuts, if the talk is true.

Henry and Hill would be very handy in the forward half.
I know I bang on about the missed WA boys but geez we have lost out on some great talent.

Henry and Hill would be very handy in the forward half.
I know I bang on about the missed WA boys but geez we have lost out on some great talent.
Hopefully Western comes through. He has electric speed and by all reports good skills and vision. He is only around 173cm so we can only have so many of that type in the side.

I think the club agrees which is why I am still sure that if he goes, we are going to seriously ream the offending club, Weller style.
I like your thinking , but if we get another year out of him first , we can still seriously ream his club of choice

I think the club agrees which is why I am still sure that if he goes, we are going to seriously ream the offending club, Weller style.
The more I think about it the I think there is just no chance he goes. He's too important and other clubs, quite rightfully, arent going to pay the cost required to let him go. I am surprised clubs apparently think he's gettable, they have to know how we work. That might just be media bs though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back