List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok here is a thought I have had for a while, so please take it in the spirit of half baked conspiracies, but one that, yes you can see possibly happened.

As we are all aware Ben King at the end of his first season (2019) with the Gold Coast Suns signed on for a further two year extension, to his initial two year starting contract. That has him contracted to the Suns to the end of 2022. There was massive speculation at the time, that he would at the end of 2020, ask for a transfer back to St Kilda. His brother was living out their childhood dream at St Kilda and there was huge media and online speculation as to whether this would happen or not.

Gold Coast at that time, had another wheel barrow full of draft picks, with the ongoing fear that none of them would stay and that they would do, as so many had before them and leave to interstate clubs. It was reported after Ben signed the contract extension for a further two years, that his father had in fact approached Simon Lethlean for advice. Lethlean told him that this was a sensational offer and that he should accept it.

BUT..... is that the whole story. As we all know Lethlean and his football list management henchmen are always looking at options, choices, Plan B, Plan C etc. Yes it is very conceivable that he gave Ben's father that advice, but wouldn't it have made sense to also advise Bens father, that Ben should protect himself and give himself an out clause, if it didn't work out there? If he didn't like it there, or was homesick and wanted to come back to Melbourne. Gold Coast needed Ben's signing as a catalyst to sign other players, to show the younger guys that its a huge positive to commit to a future at the Gold Coast.

If Ben leaves in the future thats a problem for future Gold Coast, not their immediate problem at the end of 2019. Thus would both parties have agreed to the additional two year term, with the proviso that if Ben wanted to go any at the end of Years 2, 3 and 4 he could do so with their blessing.

Gold Coast get their signature. It completely removes this weekly ongoing speculation as to whether he stays or goes. They also get clear air time to convince Ben to stay and be a long term part of the Gold Coast's future. They publicly can use his signing, to secure a host of other young recruits to commit to the Suns. Ben gets a great financial settlement and the security of this, plus the option that if he does want to come back to Melbourne and St Kilda, that he has a means of doing it. And Lethlean has helped and in playing the long game, has a possible future star with a clear pathway to St Kilda.

Even if all of this is a figment of my imagination, there is that little glimmer that maybe, just maybe, that is exactly how it all happened

Or it simply was an offer too good to refuse, just as the Don's offer was too good for Caldwell to refuse.

Our best chance of landing BKing is when his contract expires.

The bright side is that:
  • that by then his body will be physical mature and he will be doing development work at GC in the meantime
  • that for 2 years we get to improving the rest of our team including the midfield

Dunkley... Gone

Bombers 5yrs 700k

Not gonna lie, if they can pull this trade period off smoothly I'm gonna have to give them props.

If in 2 weeks they can negotiate Saad, Daniher, Caldwell, Dunkley & potentially more, all while needing to bring picks in before they can send any out, that's actually kinda impressive.

If Dunkley formally nominates wanting to go there, that has to show these players don't give as much of a shit about culture as we think they do.

Not gonna lie, if they can pull this trade period off smoothly I'm gonna have to give them props.

If in 2 weeks they can negotiate Saad, Daniher, Caldwell, Dunkley & potentially more, all while needing to bring picks in before they can send any out, that's actually kinda impressive.

If Dunkley formally nominates wanting to go there, that has to show these players don't give as much of a sh*t about culture as we think they do.

While players swapping club's is not new the success of the Saints this year and the Lions and Port and even the Cats with their team chockfull of players from other clubs, has most teams looking at this avenue even more at present.

So our shopping list of desired players is going to be hard to fill. Dunkley or Caldwell would both have been good gets for us. Dunkley would actually have been a great get.

My personal view is that Bing will never play for St Kilda.

Unpopular view no doubt but think he enjoys being the man rather than playing second fiddle to his brother.

I don't know anything about them personally, so no idea if your thoughts are accurate, but it wouldn't surprise me if he sticks with the Gold Coast. I think we over romanticise the idea of players wanting to play for their childhood team. I know there's the lure of his brother playing for the Saints, but I don't think that lure is big enough to pull him from the Gold Coast if they start playing well.

Let me guess, Crow till I die.

Elite next level nuffiedom even for a South Australian.
Have to admit, quite impressed by him really. Simply astounding.
Obviously just has an empty skull with skin stretched over it attached to a body.
He should catch up with the Collingwood person who thinks they should get salary cap relief for having to pay out Beams.

I don't know anything about them personally, so no idea if your thoughts are accurate, but it wouldn't surprise me if he sticks with the Gold Coast. I think we over romanticise the idea of players wanting to play for their childhood team. I know there's the lure of his brother playing for the Saints, but I don't think that lure is big enough to pull him from the Gold Coast if they start playing well.

Plus to land him now would stuff up fixing the midfield. Having two King's will not help us win a flag unless we do that. And our team can go very well with just one King = Max.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Dunstan and Jimmy gone to Adelaide i hear to free more cap space and we get some late picks in return and Crows get their wish acquiring pick 2 compo. Is that correct?

Shouldn't this ~secret~ deal remain....secret?! I can't see how this plan leaking out helps Adelaide, because the optics are horrendous. Why would the AFL want to reward a team deliberately gaming the system like this?

8000 replies in two weeks.

Absolute madness this thread. Think last year we had 4 iterations of this thread. Reckon we'll crack 15 the way we're going.

He should catch up with the Collingwood person who thinks they should get salary cap relief for having to pay out Beams.

I don't think that's the worst suggestion in the world. I know there is always a risk of taking players on big contracts, but I think it would be reasonable enough for players whose careers are ended by injury or illness to get some respite (maybe 25 or 50% tops) from the salary cap contributions.

You get guys like Beams who are clearly unwell, he either needs to push through which may ultimately be extremely detrimental to his health or forfeit their income or know that you've out your club in a very difficult position (when your self-worth is already at a rock bottom).

If the AFL announced tomorrow that they were willing to relieve Collingwood of a portion of Beams' salary from cap contributions, I personally would support it. I also would have liked to have seen is be compensated for losing three our four players in a 12 month period due to concussion issues. Given the huge class action law suit coming the AFLs way in 10-20 years, I think clubs should be encouraged to do all they can to prevent a CTE epidemic. We have already seen the most tragic circumstances because of this disease, so more than any club would we want it to be done right .

8000 replies in two weeks.

Absolute madness this thread. Think last year we had 4 iterations of this thread. Reckon we'll crack 15 the way we're going.
I want Ben King badly

While players swapping club's is not new the success of the Saints this year and the Lions and Port and even the Cats with their team chockfull of players from other clubs, has most teams looking at this avenue even more at present.

So our shopping list of desired players is going to be hard to fill. Dunkley or Caldwell would both have been good gets for us. Dunkley would actually have been a great get.

I think Dunkley added to Crouch, Steele, Clark, Hanna's, Ross, Bytel would make us much too slow and stodgy. Good player, but with Crouch on board I would be looking for some more speed or skills along the lines of Merrett, Josh Kelly, Florent, Ian Hill, Whitfield, Shai Bolton, Rowbottam, McCluggage, MacCrae, Parfitt. Throw around some obscene offers

Shouldn't this ~secret~ deal remain....secret?! I can't see how this plan leaking out helps Adelaide, because the optics are horrendous. Why would the AFL want to reward a team deliberately gaming the system like this?

Because the AFL needs to make it possible for employees to be able to work for the employer of their choosing.

It is questionable whether the AFL EBA would survive a challenge through the courts. All it takes is one player saying that they were unlawfully able to accept employment for the whole system to come crashing down. This is why the AFL wants players getting to the clubs of their choice as often as possible.

Look at how much they got involved with the Carlisle deal for evidence of this.

Nope what?

Nope that he wants to be the big man and not play second fiddle to max.

He want's to be home, misses his identical twin, loves the Saints and wants to play with his brother in the Red, White and Black.

As well he will be playing second fiddle to Rowell, Rankine, Lukocious etc up at GC anyway.

As max walked off after beating the Dogs in the finals, he looked to his brother (waring his Saints scarf) and basically said, 'how great to be wearing these colours and winning a final'.

You said it would be an unpopular opinion mate :D ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back