List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want parity in sports, teams need to have some control. Free agency provides a mechanism where players also have some control, it's just been implemented very poorly by the AFL. If players could just go to any team they want right from the beginning the league would be even more of a joke than it already is.
I can't see where he's advocated for that.
Though l absolutely agree with your point..

Trelour was mentioned early...somewhere by someone

Somethings brewing imo
Trelour perhaps but somethings being worked on
That cat supporter. We all told him he’s a knob and he’s wrong but he might be right. Who bloody knows?

this is the best part of the post-season for me. Followed by fixture release day.

Cmon Joff. This is the Trade thread. When have we ever needed proof or logic to back up confidence.
All you need is the 'Its Happening' gif and we all lose our collective minds for a few hours till reality sinks in and we all get angry :joycat:
So.....Heeney

Reading between the lines something else that’s significant is happening behind scenes.

First you have MG and other ITKs come out and say words to the effect that Caldwell has accepted the contract terms and is basically signed.

We then sign Crouch which Tom Morris reports to be “no surprise to the Caldwell camp” (I.e. they were most likely made aware of the fact he would be signing also ).

Then all of a sudden Caldwell flips and nominates Essendon based on game time and midfield minutes (supposedly). But he was aware of the Crouch news for sometime.

So is there someone else (of A grade talent) coming in to the midfield group that we don’t know about?
Seemed to me just happened like this...
Caldwell wanted to come here,
But then Essendon went..

Treloar is far superior to Ross. If we want to take the next step we need to keep improving.
Here l am advocating for Ross..
Funny times..

I wouldn't want the club to cliff hang itself here.
Having Hanners, Crouch and Treloar leaves us very exposed to injuries, and has Treloar lost a yard of pace now? Maybe, l dunno.
Ross is if nothing else very durable, and OOC/FA next year.

And while I'm at it, l don't see Treloar as a player l want kicking i50, and if his pace isn't there then what's the point.

I'm starting to think the whole thing stinks a bit and Ad's might be cooked.
If the filth are genuine about a premiership then they'd be offloading some GOP's to clear SC space, not a match winner in his prime over a matter of 200-300k.

Winmar2Lockett there's a big difference between discussing "potential or hypothetical" trade scenarios, and talking about someone as if they've already A- Stated they want to come to our club and/or B- The trade has already successfully gone through.

Hence my comment about getting ahead of ourselves.

Obviously that went whizzing over your head, but that's OK. Maybe it's too early in the morning.

Spot on for me.

The only thing I'd add is we might need to find another small forward too if Lonie and Hind are on the move. Maybe we could get a mature aged one from the draft?

It sounds like we want to rotate mids and have Butts as our only true small forward. I imagine guys like Sinclair would play the hybrid role along with Gresham, Billings, Crouch, Steele rotating out of the middle. I reckon Hind is probably safe but Lonie has interest. Parker and Hind might be kept in just because we are looking at quite a high turn over already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there a reason we have confidence at all about us targetting Treloar?
I don’t think so... I think largely just reading the tea leaves which suggests we should be at least sniffing around. A lot of it really adds up and there was a recent Fox Footy article that narrowed best fit down to us as well I think. Adding Crouch makes it a little less sense as it’s not like our midfield is stacked with elite users of the pill with Treloar. But getting it out to Hill, Hanners, Sincs, Clark and Billings would be the go.

Not sure how I feel about it myself but could see myself getting behind it. It would mean we fancy ourselves as a genuine threat from next year...

I don't really understand the trepidation on getting Treloar, we have about 2 million of cap sitting with guys who aren't in our best 22 and will be moved on one way or another over the next year or two.

If we replaced Ross with Treloar on the list then our cap change isn't that significant… but our starting 22 suddenly becomes elite and should absolutely be challenging for a flag next year.

For the young guys coming out of contract in the next couple of years, there will be plenty of money available… Brown, Geary, Carlisle, Hannebery, Roberton, Webster, Savage, Ryder, Dunstan, McKenzie - that's about 3 million off the books in two years time.

If you can get a player like Treloar, you get it done. He is a far better player than Hill and would be on similar money.

Adding Crouch AND Treloar in an off season would be insane.

It's the injury, cost and length of contact that are the worry. Collingwood wouldn't be off loading him when they have a few already close to the end if he was 100% likely to get right again. I'd rather wait and bid Merrett types up in FA.

I'm not convinced either of Crouch or Treloar will suit the direction our club seems to be heading towards. Ratten mentioned the character test as being important for our recruiting. It seems that a club that would move Crouch and Treloar on is looking to solve a problem rather than it being a recruiting coup for the club that gets them. The problem may only be money, but too much money for a player is only relevant if you aren't getting value for the money.

It's the injury, cost and length of contact that are the worry. Collingwood wouldn't be off loading him when they have a few already close to the end if he was 100% likely to get right again. I'd rather wait and bid Merrett types up in FA.
True, I am basing my interest on a thorough due diligence by the club and medics... the money doesn't worry me a lot if he's in good nick.

It’s a lot to pay and commit too for the next 4-5 years for what would be a marginal improvement on Ross.

Surely our list has bigger and more urgent holes than upgrading Seb Ross?

Feels a bit like doing two trades for the sake of doing two trades rather than it being the best and most impactful use of money and picks.

Marginal improvement on Ross?

That’s like saying Winx is a marginal improvement on Beau Maister-Wilkes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Collingwood’s cap is broken. But at the same time Treloar is a star and it would be humiliating for all concerned if his trade value plummeted.

That’s why Collingwood are so keen for him to go to Gold Coast. The Suns are keen and would take his salary on, while handing over pick 5. Not sure how the Suns manage their own salary cap but that is another story.

Trouble is Treloar wants to play in Melbourne. He doesn’t want to play for Gold Coast. So Collingwood are running out of options, especially as they have re-signed Moore and look like signing De Goey.

It will be an interesting trade period.

Who wins / loses this:

Pies:
In - Battle
Out - Treloar

Suns:
In: Treloar, pick #15
Out: B King

Saints:
In: B King
Out: Battle, pick #15

Treloar is far superior to Ross. If we want to take the next step we need to keep improving.
As much as I'm not a fan of him, adding in Crouch, getting back Gresham and playing Clark in the midfield full time is already a significant improvement to our midfield. And thats all without paying Treloar 700k until he is 32 years old.

We also need to keep improving other areas of the ground if we want to make top 4 next year. That 700k would be better spent bringing a good replacement for Clark in the backline, or getting a bigger body to protect King up forward, or replacing Carlisle if he leaves then it is upgrading Seb Ross in an already improved midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back