List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon with Paddy and Carlise and a fully fit Battle, we might have got through to the GF...but I must be dreaming

We were never going to beat Richmond. They were too good for us. We also weren’t going to beat Geelong. Both were older and primed teams.

Next year is a different story though. We are closing the gap.

Marginal improvement on Ross?

That’s like saying Winx is a marginal improvement on Beau Maister-Wilkes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember you're talking to the No #1 ticket holder of the Seb Ross fan club.

Do not even suggest trading him.
Seriously, don't. .

It sounds like we want to rotate mids and have Butts as our only true small forward. I imagine guys like Sinclair would play the hybrid role along with Gresham, Billings, Crouch, Steele rotating out of the middle. I reckon Hind is probably safe but Lonie has interest. Parker and Hind might be kept in just because we are looking at quite a high turn over already.
There was some talk that Melbourne and maybe Essendon were interested in Hind.

After watching Richmond last night, we probably need more than 1 zippy small forward around.

Remember you're talking to the No #1 ticket holder of the Seb Ross fan club.

Do not even suggest trading him.
Seriously, don't. .
Nah, I just think there is a better use of money and picks than upgrading what would be a good 4th to 5th midfielder.

We still have holes up forward and down back that need attention if we want to be a genuine top 4 side.

Reading between the lines something else that’s significant is happening behind scenes.

First you have MG and other ITKs come out and say words to the effect that Caldwell has accepted the contract terms and is basically signed.

We then sign Crouch which Tom Morris reports to be “no surprise to the Caldwell camp” (I.e. they were most likely made aware of the fact he would be signing also ).

Then all of a sudden Caldwell flips and nominates Essendon based on game time and midfield minutes (supposedly). But he was aware of the Crouch news for sometime.

So is there someone else (of A grade talent) coming in to the midfield group that we don’t know about?

Very good point.

Nah, I just think there is a better use of money and picks than upgrading what would be a good 4th to 5th midfielder.

We still have holes up forward and down back that need attention if we want to be a genuine top 4 side.
Oh l agree with that, but you're definitely under selling the difference between Treloar and Ross.

If Treloar is fit (dubious imo) and good to go, then we'd take him and screw the filth on the trade, whilst sending Seb to a new home.

Steele, Crouch, Treloar
"Vs"
Steele, Ross, Jones,
doesn't need to be debated if they are all properly fit*.

We've seemingly secured Brouch now for an appropriate price, and if one can be negotiated with Treloar*, then the answer is yes.

If you want parity in sports, teams need to have some control. Free agency provides a mechanism where players also have some control, it's just been implemented very poorly by the AFL. If players could just go to any team they want right from the beginning the league would be even more of a joke than it already is.

A luxury tax is the way to go for me. Punish any dodgy and undisclosed deals with severe draft penalties. We want all payments to be known, teams can contribute 25 cents for every dollar over the cap for the first million, 50 cents for the second million, 75 cents the third million and dollar for dollar from then on out. Include those funds in the AFL distribution values and split them where the money is needed.

Keep the free agent signings, but deduct the draft pick index points from the recruiting team (give them a chance to split that over 2 years).

Give salary cap discounts for players you've drafted. Say 25% of their salary doesn't contribute to the cap.

There are many ways that we can promote equalisation without hampering players ability to move clubs.

Winmar2Lockett there's a big difference between discussing "potential or hypothetical" trade scenarios, and talking about someone as if they've already A- Stated they want to come to our club and/or B- The trade has already successfully gone through.

Hence my comment about getting ahead of ourselves.

Obviously that went whizzing over your head, but that's OK. Maybe it's too early in the morning.

Usually post GF morning I would have struggled with that sort of insightful barb.

On this occasion though I picked it up very clearly.

I just don’t understand why we have a number of posters who are happy to cast judgement on discussions that others are having about how a bloke would fit in (or wouldn’t). Its fair to debate why we think Crouch & Treloar fit or are worries about their injury issues... or that Adel won’t match so we can do something else with our 1st pick. Getting ahead of themselves? How could you ever accuse a St Kilda supporter of getting ahead of themselves?

There’s another thread now if you don’t want to trawl through discussion about stuff that you find boring or beneath you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here l am advocating for Ross..
Funny times..

I wouldn't want the club to cliff hang itself here.
Having Hanners, Crouch and Treloar leaves us very exposed to injuries, and has Treloar lost a yard of pace now? Maybe, l dunno.
Ross is if nothing else very durable, and OOC/FA next year.

And while I'm at it, l don't see Treloar as a player l want kicking i50, and if his pace isn't there then what's the point.

I'm starting to think the whole thing stinks a bit and Ad's might be cooked.
If the filth are genuine about a premiership then they'd be offloading some GOP's to clear SC space, not a match winner in his prime over a matter of 200-300k.

A definite case of buyer beware.

We were never going to beat Richmond. They were too good for us. We also weren’t going to beat Geelong. Both were older and primed teams.

Next year is a different story though. We are closing the gap.
Swap Ryder, Gresham & Carlisle for Marsh, Kent & Geary (or an injured Battle) and I reckon we beat Richmond in that Semi.

The lack of Ben King talk disappoints me, the final piece to the puzzle.

I’m sure of it.

Maybe the lack of talk is a good thing. I think it’s more likely that something will get done if it is done quietly.

But maybe the time isn’t right. Yet. But with our blokes you just never know. They are sharp operators.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was some talk that Melbourne and maybe Essendon were interested in Hind.

After watching Richmond last night, we probably need more than 1 zippy small forward around.

Well Lonie is not zippy. ;)

Also Rioli struggled, and Dusty dominated. With Dusty floating around the other Richmond forwards have a much easier time as 1/ he draws the defenders and 2/ he is so good at setting up team mates.

Various combinations can work, but key to me is quality of the players.

Plus there is a difference between having 1 zippy small forward and having 1 permanent zippy small forward.

With more mids someone like Gresh who used to be a dedicated small forward changes to a role of being a mid who rotates forward a lot. Steele was good value from pushing forward this year as is a quality player. Hannas, Billings and Sinclair can all rotate through the forward line too.

We do not need all of Butler, Lonie, Kent and Hind. We are short on picks this year with no second or third round pick and so if we can trade out one of Lonie, Kent and Hind for a pick along with say Dunstan, Webster and Savage that may help us to trade in players that we need.

Oh l agree with that, but you're definitely under selling the difference between Treloar and Ross.

If Treloar is fit (dubious imo) and good to go, then we'd take him and screw the filth on the trade, whilst sending Seb to a new home.

Steele, Crouch, Treloar
"Vs"
Steele, Ross, Jones,
doesn't need to be debated if they are all properly fit*.

We've seemingly secured Brouch now for an appropriate price, and if one can be negotiated with Treloar*, then the answer is yes.
Me calling it 'marginal improvement' was definitely underselling it, Treloar is a very good player at his best. But I still don't think the overall improvement to the entire side would be that significant with the other improvements already being added to the midfield, if that makes sense. There's other ways we could see greater improvement to the best 22 is probably a better way to phrase it.

As much as I would prefer Treloar to Crouch, Crouch is the one we have publicly locked up so I've already put him in the midfield when looking at what we have moving forward. And the more information we get, the more suspicious Treloar being moved on by Collingwood becomes.

That contract we would need to take on is ridiculous and why are they so desperate to move him on when Pendles will be 33 next season and Sidebottom 30? That suggests his body is not right or there is major doubts on his longevity so they need to get rid of him asap while they can. And with Crouch already a starter in the centre square and committed too long term, it feels extremely risky to commit to them both long term.

Only way I could see Pies paying some of Treloar's salary is if Freo or North are paying that same amount from Brown / Hogan's salaries. Either of those players would be a good fit for the pies, surely they'd be asking the question.

Collingwood wants Treloar to go to the Gold Coast, but Treloar is resistant. Maybe Saints are plan B, which is why things are hazy at the moment.

The thing that makes it so weird is that there was talk that GC had offered pick 5 for him. A weird back up plan for saints to offer a second round pick for him.

One of the weirdest trade week stories in recent years.

Who wins / loses this:

Pies:
In - Battle
Out - Treloar

Suns:
In: Treloar, pick #15
Out: B King

Saints:
In: B King
Out: Battle, pick #15

Brave to be including Battle in that scenario. I understand the principle of having to give up something too get something of value. But Battle is going to be a great player who will be a genuine swing man.

Collingwood would also need to give us something else coming back.

My initial reaction is to BOTH reject it and jump at it. Many would be unhappy at that deal, but it’s the sort of trade where clubs target their needs and then go for it.

Who wins / loses this:

Pies:
In - Battle
Out - Treloar

Suns:
In: Treloar, pick #15
Out: B King

Saints:
In: B King
Out: Battle, pick #15

Wouldn't consider it for a second tbh.

King might have the higher ceiling, but you could question whether that ceiling is already lowered by not being the sole focal point of a team, or by playing in defence.

Battle is such a rare prospect, a big, strong, aerobic freak who can play any position on the ground. His versatility makes him one of our least tradable players IMO.

Look at Richmond, they've won three flags now because of their incredible team chemistry. I was thinking last night about the fact if you out the 150 odd players that played across the Brisbane / Geelong / Hawthorn / Richmond dynasties and ranked them. I'd have Dusty at number 1, but I probably wouldn't have another tiger in the top 20.

I can imagine Battle being a player that would have thrived in the Hawthorn side in particular, a real Pilar of our team going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back