Preview 2021 AFL National Draft | NM - #1, #20, #42, #47,#72, #77, #95

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alleer will go well before the 40's.

I wouldn't be shocked if someone took him top 20 in all honesty and ahead of Bazzo and/or JVR. A finalist in the 13-20 range.

If we want him we will have to use 20.

He's literally perfect for a contending side that could afford to stick him in an already strong backline as the third defender. Can you imagine him in the Melbourne backline with May and Lever?

Brisbane also, pairing him with Andrews...

The Bulldogs I think may look at trading back into the draft after they consume their points for Darcy. Again, he's exactly what they need at CHB.

I'm torn on Bazzo vs Alleer, probably stoked with either in all honesty. Alleer definitely has the higher ceiling through. He looks a better player than Aliir Aliir at the same age and an even better athlete. His vertical would have to be comparable to someone like Nic Nat's at the same age.

God help opposing sides ball movement if he's partnered up with experienced interceptors like Lever, May or even a McGovern.
SEE THIS IS WHY I AM SO HYPED ON HIM. BRADY I WILL ABSOLUTELY TWERK TO DEATH IF WE DONT GET HIM

Given Nobes & Brady have both highlighted a need for a small forward is Jesse Motlop, son of Daniel, a possibility with pick 20.

Not sure he is BPA at 20.

FREMANTLE will have first access over Jesse Motlop, the son of former Power and North Melbourne forward Daniel, after the AFL approved the talented draftee as a Next Generation Academy player.

Not sure he is BPA at 20.

FREMANTLE will have first access over Jesse Motlop, the son of former Power and North Melbourne forward Daniel, after the AFL approved the talented draftee as a Next Generation Academy player.
They don't have access to him until after pick 40 as he is from the WA metro area.

Know it's been discussed but wow when you step back through the trade/drafts from 2017-20 and this year's trading period Melbourne are incredibly active.

Constantly flipping round 1 picks, buying into multiple round 2 picks and nailing just about every one. Selling off high end picks for other commodities then trading back in.

We need to poach their draft number cruncher.

They seem to be acutely aware of how they rate drafts and trade in and out of rounds incredibly frequently.

Look at this year - they had sold off their 2021 round 1 last year and traded next year's to come back in. No doubt next year they'll have some other crafty move. Or they'll work over the 2nd round in some way.

Not a fan of them at all (surprise) but they look to be the biggest chess players of the lot and crept up on everybody this year.

Know it's been discussed but wow when you step back through the trade/drafts from 2017-20 and this year's trading period Melbourne are incredibly active.

Constantly flipping round 1 picks, buying into multiple round 2 picks and nailing just about every one. Selling off high end picks for other commodities then trading back in.

They seem to be acutely aware of how they rate drafts and trade in and out of rounds incredibly frequently.

Look at this year - they had sold off their 2021 round 1 last year and traded next year's to come back in. No doubt next year they'll have some other crafty move. Or they'll work over the 2nd round in some way.

Not a fan of them at all (surprise) but they look to be the biggest chess players of the lot and crept up on everybody this year.

Yep. You can be much more creative though when the framework and heavy lifting are done. I reckon we are another 1, maybe 2 drafts off being in a position to be more aggressive about how we draft and trade.

I hear that Melbourne run a very, very tight ship. Particularly strength and conditioning and recruitment.

Yep. You can be much more creative though when the framework and heavy lifting are done. I reckon we are another 1, maybe 2 drafts off being in a position to be more aggressive about how we draft and trade.

I think that's selling their list build short though. In 2017 it wasn't like they were seen as 1 step away from big things.

But it's around then they've flipped a switch and gone hyperactive with their trades (Lever, May) and become incredibly precise with their drafting of squad players. People were laughing about their BBB trade earlier in the year when he was stuck in the VFL. The laughter stopped by the end of September.

What Themanbun says probably plays into it too. Once they got a player into their new look system they developed them quickly and effectively.

They might've copped a friendly handshake from the AFL with their FA compo and a nice leg up off early picks but they've done their bit building a side around them too.

I think that's selling their list build short though. In 2017 it wasn't like they were seen as 1 step away from big things.

But it's around then they've flipped a switch and gone hyperactive with their trades (Lever, May) and become incredibly precise with their drafting of squad players. People were laughing about their BBB trade earlier in the year when he was stuck in the VFL. The laughter stopped by the end of September.

What Themanbun says probably plays into it too. Once they got a player into their new look system they developed them quickly and effectively.

They might've copped a friendly handshake from the AFL with their FA compo and a nice leg up off early picks but they've done their bit building a side around them too.
They absolutely nailed 2019, including the trade with us. Jackson, Pickett, Rivers is absurdly good. I mean, I know Comben looks super talented, but with the trades we did around in the 2nd round in 2019 and given our obvious current need for youthful halfbacks, Rivers is a bit of a what if pick for us there. He would have been perfect for us in hindsight (and was called by Pykie at the time IIRC).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this the vibe of a budding romance ?

Is this the vibe of a budding romance ?

Hahaha. Hate them but have to tip my hat to their list build the last 4 years.

As a NMFC supporter I actually thought the draft just skips from round 1 to round 3 every year, was weird seeing some clubs actually find serviceable players between those.

Alleer will go well before the 40's.

I wouldn't be shocked if someone took him top 20 in all honesty and ahead of Bazzo and/or JVR. A finalist in the 13-20 range.

If we want him we will have to use 20.

He's literally perfect for a contending side that could afford to stick him in an already strong backline as the third defender. Can you imagine him in the Melbourne backline with May and Lever?

Brisbane also, pairing him with Andrews...

The Bulldogs I think may look at trading back into the draft after they consume their points for Darcy. Again, he's exactly what they need at CHB.

I'm torn on Bazzo vs Alleer, probably stoked with either in all honesty. Alleer definitely has the higher ceiling through. He looks a better player than Aliir Aliir at the same age and an even better athlete. His vertical would have to be comparable to someone like Nic Nat's at the same age.

God help opposing sides ball movement if he's partnered up with experienced interceptors like Lever, May or even a McGovern.
Alleer leaps like Maj.

Maj had an amazing leap. I think we may have forgotten but he could jump high and how he could hang in the air. He could cover metres in the air on his way up and crash packs on the way down. Alleer is almost exactly the same height and 10kgs lighter but looks to have a similar build as Maj did as a kid. If it was me i'd probably pick him at 20, if he was still there.

Not intended as an assessment of them, more that I don't think we're in that position yet that we can be too aggressive. They've had a couple of great drafts recently.

They weren't. They were several steps away.

Including the 2019 draft. (I wonder if they tanked for it and specifically Jackson?)

But they wouldn't have won jack this year without Oliver and Petracca taking their fitness incredibly seriously. Petracca won that GF game for them and he did from the second half of the third quarter onward. Can you imagine that fat kid from 2019 doing that?

I generally agree with your point but its more than just one step from where they were in 2017. They sorted their recruiting, drafting and yeah, especially trading and (most importantly imo) their fitness.

They nailed the 2014 draft, did okay in '15, better in '17 and even better still in 2019. The 2019 draft in particular. Three gun players from three picks and they're playing really good footy by the end of their second season. And all three are premiership players who were important thru their whole season. How much was luck and how much good judgement? I dunno. Plenty of both by the look of it. But it was built on a foundation of good drafting over several years.

There are alot of similarities to us now and them in 2019, including the bit where ... if we could just trade in our own langdon, Lever and May. Maybe Sleevo, Corr and Buckets will cover that.

Our 2017 draft was a bit like their 2015 one (cos we've recruited back into it I spose.) 2018 and 19 are okay and from what we've seen 2020 is looking very good. The 2015/6 drafts have yielded four players who can be among the best in their positions in the comp. They are well on their way now.

Its very similar between the clubs. We've made an effort to address our fitness issues and have some of the off field people responsible for the D's success on board now. Our recruiting hasn't been bad. If Corr comes good, and CCJ thrives we'll see it as excellent. We may well be only two years behind them, ie where they were in 2019. That doesn't mean we'll win a flag in two years, we might or not, but we should be pushing for one in three.

Not intended as an assessment of them, more that I don't think we're in that position yet that we can be too aggressive. They've had a couple of great drafts recently.
Only one recently. It was shit hot tho, three players who all played in the Grand Final.

Alleer leaps like Maj.

Maj had an amazing leap. I think we may have forgotten but he could jump high and how he could hang in the air. He could cover metres in the air on his way up and crash packs on the way down. Alleer is almost exactly the same height and 10kgs lighter but looks to have a similar build as Maj did as a kid. If it was me i'd probably pick him at 20, if he was still there.
I agree, his athleticism is too good to pass up. I think as a key defender that is almost primary, you can improve on the rest in an AFL environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back