Preview 2021 AFL National Draft | NM - #1, #20, #42, #47,#72, #77, #95

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If dean and skinner are available at 42,47 respectively then I think we take both.
Our backline is going to look at lot different in 1-3 years when the likes of hall and zeibel retire and we'll need positions filled.
2 good intercept markers who can play the key back position would be fantastic for us, likened to May and Leaver at Melbourne.
Throw Lazzaro on a HBF and another guy who has smarts that can run and we'll be off to the races.

If dean and skinner are available at 42,47 respectively then I think we take both.
Our backline is going to look at lot different in 1-3 years when the likes of hall and zeibel retire and we'll need positions filled.
2 good intercept markers who can play the key back position would be fantastic for us, likened to May and Leaver at Melbourne.
Throw Lazzaro on a HBF and another guy who has smarts that can run and we'll be off to the races.
Again I’m not sure skinner is in outlet plans , has he improved since last year?

“I’ll never forget one of the first times we were doing match simulation at training.

I ended up one-on-one with him out on the wing, and the ball was about to get kicked to us from half-back.

I said to him, ‘You wouldn’t want the ball to be kicked out here’, and he looked at me and was like, ‘Mate, I want them to kick the ball out here because I’m going to sit on your head and take a hanger’.”

Again I’m not sure skinner is in outlet plans , has he improved since last year?
Moved from forward line to defense at South Adelaide and has basically been their backbone every since.
Not the quickest player but athletic and has a crazy strong pack mark which leads itself to getting a lot of intercepts when the balls heading forward.
Throwing a late pick his way could be a pretty smart move considering our needs for that area.
Unless we're shoehorning in walker to cover TAz being out long term but then again he's almost 30 himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given Nobes & Brady have both highlighted a need for a small forward is Jesse Motlop, son of Daniel, a possibility with pick 20.
Personally I’d prefer Paul Curtis at one of our picks in the 40s. He’s Victorian, has the X-Factor, crumbs, good mark, quick. I think he’s the full package just not too consistent. The kid can be a genuine match winner at times, makes it curious as to why he’s not talked up much.

“I’ll never forget one of the first times we were doing match simulation at training.

I ended up one-on-one with him out on the wing, and the ball was about to get kicked to us from half-back.

I said to him, ‘You wouldn’t want the ball to be kicked out here’, and he looked at me and was like, ‘Mate, I want them to kick the ball out here because I’m going to sit on your head and take a hanger’.”
Quack Quack 🦆

I think bazzo will be our man at 20
Yeah I thought that too, but as trade eon rolls on quicker than a turtle crossing a freeway, I’m leaning towards the slickest running half back being called out at 20.

We should be in the ideal position for a crack at Darcy Moore as a FA next year. Team on the rise with an elite midfield, a specific need for a gun CHB and we have the bank to pay him a sweet salary.

Conversely, Collingwood are in a disastrous position.
Their list management has been woeful and their immediate future looks lower than a snakes underbelly.. next year they’ll have pick 1 and potentially another top 10 with the Moore compo.

Souup Who’s the best Nick Haynes type in the draft this year please mate?

Yeah I thought that too, but as trade eon rolls on quicker than a turtle crossing a freeway, I’m leaning towards the slickest running half back being called out at 20.

We should be in the ideal position for a crack at Darcy Moore as a FA next year. Team on the rise with an elite midfield, a specific need for a gun CHB and we have the bank to pay him a sweet salary.

Their list management has been woeful and their immediate future looks lower than a snakes underbelly.. next year they’ll have pick 1 and potentially another top 10 with the Moore compo.

Got to look at who’s available at our picks and how of a difference there is at 20 and 40s in the positions we need filling -ie KPD, rebounding half back and small forward.
Is Bazzo/Wilmot that much better at 20 than bank /leek /Dean in the 40s
Sort of moneyball it to get what we need

Alleer will go well before the 40's.

I wouldn't be shocked if someone took him top 20 in all honesty and ahead of Bazzo and/or JVR. A finalist in the 13-20 range.

If we want him we will have to use 20.

He's literally perfect for a contending side that could afford to stick him in an already strong backline as the third defender. Can you imagine him in the Melbourne backline with May and Lever?

Brisbane also, pairing him with Andrews...

The Bulldogs I think may look at trading back into the draft after they consume their points for Darcy. Again, he's exactly what they need at CHB.

I'm torn on Bazzo vs Alleer, probably stoked with either in all honesty. Alleer definitely has the higher ceiling through. He looks a better player than Aliir Aliir at the same age and an even better athlete. His vertical would have to be comparable to someone like Nic Nat's at the same age.

God help opposing sides ball movement if he's partnered up with experienced interceptors like Lever, May or even a McGovern.

Last edited:

I'm praying the Sinn or Goater might slip.

I think Bazzo will still be available between pick 25-35.

Given our limited list spots id get one of the tall defenders in at 20.
Fills a much needed need and I wouldn't be missing out on them just because we might go for Darcy Moore to play at the club in 2 years.
HBF is also a need but given there is really only 3-5 tall defenders mentioned in regular talks its a much more pressing need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back