Strategy 2021 Draft and Hypothetical pick trade proposals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol seriously can we just have a ban on posting things ol clickbait Kornes says…

none of it is interesting and it’s all designed to just stir people up.

Hodgey wants a new rule! Hodgey gets a new rule.

No more clickbait shit from Cornes in here.

Also:
Can we also threadban Rendell quotes. The bloke is senile.
Done ✔️

Not because they aren't best 22 or because we don't rate them. The three you mentioned are the ones with the most currency. Phillips is a great depth player in a good side (proved he was even better than that in 2018). Moving on Phillips isn't going to net us a return that will improve our rebuild. Moving on Titch, Wingard or O'Meara might though. Hence why people have suggested them.

We already have at least 16 players under 22 if you trade out two or more of Mitchell, JOM, Wingard, Breust, Gunston - then we are going to get flogged every week. It's about developing the young players we have - we still haven't seen what Maginnes and Downie and Jeka and Callow can do. Where do you think Callow, Newcombe and Bramble would have ended up in this years draft?? Bramble came in and made an impact at AFL level - what's that worth?? Newcombe had more tackles on debut than anyone could remember - so who in this year's draft could do that? Kosi, Lewis and Jeka haven't played in a team with an experienced forward like Gunston showing them the ropes. Brockman looks as good as any small forward in this years draft - why are people so hell bent on getting rid of older players for more youth when we have a tonne of youth and THREE PICKS in the top 25. I'd be happy to see how a year of this new coaching set up goes with the tonne of youth we have before we go recklessly offloading a whole heap of really good players because they are 27-28
This. We need to be competitive in order for the young group to build confidence and hope next season. Give Sam a season with our senior players on board and an opportunity to see what he can do with the young list we have.

The last thing a new coach needs is the increased burden of heavy losses, supporter angst, player unrest and external (media) plus internal pressure.

Also injuries have robbed the club of a 'healthy' reality of where we are at. Thats obvious to most posters reading this board. We have excess talent in the back half.

I am happy with our picks. If we can manoeuvre another second rounder by releasing a fringe player or two I would be happy with our draft hand.

Yes, but is it better he plays at Box Hill?

Which is worse...he was part of Clarkos plans, times move on on and it's somewhat understandable in this situation.

I just see where he fits if two of Bramble, CJ, Day, Downie rise and take the wings. HFF? Not for me

The alternative it seems is we just keep playing coz we recruited him even though there are better on the horizon

There is nothing wrong with role players having to fight for their positions. When players like Philips have their spot guarantee that's when you have real worries about list depth.

He also played some decent footy towards the back end of the season. He seemed to pop up for a goal a game maybe even two in some.

I dont know how you can have Downie ahead of him?

Trent croad? Players get pushed out all the time - it just is managed and doesn’t blow up like treloar very often.

Tell the player they are not part of future plans and club open to them exploring options, get their manager looking for a pay day etc.

For example if you told someone like JOM we’re going hard rebuild so no finals for years , you’re not going to get midfield minutes and may spend time at box hill (and won’t be VC) but we are open to trading you to a finals contender - what do you want to do etc etc. if he said yes then a deal is done.
Players get pushed out, but rarely reigning best and fairests that are in the leadership group.

Which is worse...he was part of Clarkos plans, times move on on and it's somewhat understandable in this situation.

I just see where he fits if two of Bramble, CJ, Day, Downie rise and take the wings. HFF? Not for me

The alternative it seems is we just keep playing coz we recruited him even though there are better on the horizon
Lol, Phillips is our only pure wingman on our list except for Downie who has played one game and may turn into nothing. Ball movement from our wings is literally one of the biggest reasons our midfield failed to fire this year, we need more not less.

Players get pushed out, but rarely reigning best and fairests that are in the leadership group.

Lol, Phillips is our only pure wingman on our list except for Downie who has played one game and may turn into nothing. Ball movement from our wings is literally one of the biggest reasons our midfield failed to fire this year, we need more not less.
Kicked a couple of handy goals too

The forward-line is the least experienced part of the ground. Gunston and Breust are the only experienced forwards on the list. We need them now more than ever. The last think you want is to force contracted players out who don’t want to leave.

If he gets passed by two of those mentioned, that’s fantastic for us. But it hasn’t happened. Phillips can also play half forward, and can play inside if needed, so he’s quite flexible. We’ve played 3 wingers before, so that is an option.
If he’s pushed out of position of the side, worst case scenario he asks for a trade when that happens.

Really.

People have been saying “I could see is trading JOM if we can get a first” or “if we were to lose a player for picks I’d hope it’s Tom as he’s get us the most back”.

No one here has said “let’s trade JOM, Tom and Chad”. They’d get laughed out of the thread.

GWS tried Cogs forward. It didn't work. He's slow and not really damaging for a small forward.

Cogs wouldn't agree to come over to play at Box Hill. The club would need to be honest where he would fit depth wise, on a rebuilding list already stacked with inside mids.

Without a guarantee of being best 22, he'd be better off staying put and trying to force his way into a team that's focused on a finals run. Not one that's rebuilding with a focus
Pretty simple IMO:

Can he regain/surpass his 2019 form?

If yes, he's a gun 2-way running midfielder with good pace, that is dangerous resting forward.

If no, his onfield performance is worth about 25% what he's purportedly being paid (& his leadership probs further reduces that). GilWS can EAD & keep him.

Really depends if his re-constructed toe (?), knee & mind can be got right.

The good thing is that those 3x things don't appear like they'll ever be overcome at GilWS, so they own that $1m anchor anchor the next 5yrs. If we're confident we could get him right then GilWS would be mad not to pay us Pick 12 to take that $5m* anchor off their hands.

*$5m is only part of the problem - the other part is having a Captain that doesn't want to be there.

**laughably, he'd somehow not be a multicultural ambassador if he came to us so he'd have to accept a $300+k pay cut.

Unpopular opinion:

JOM is our best inside mid.
JOM is our best outside mid (barring Wingard).
JOM is our best leader.

DO. NOT. TRADE. PLS.
I don't want to trade him either but for comparison, what type of mid do you classify Tom Mitchell as being?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the club is obviously sniffing around ready-made small forwards (Schulz, Wicks), I wonder if they'd look at adding Stengle to the list as a late pick/rookie/SSP.

Has to be the best mature age small not on a list.

Last edited:
Given the club is obviously sniffing around ready-made small forwards (Schulz, Wicks), I wonder if they'd look at adding Stengel to the list as a late pick/rookie/SSP.

Has to be the best mature age small not on a list.

Dear God not Stengle again. Why don't we throw a lifeline to Elijah Taylor while we're at it?

Dear God not Stengle again. Why don't we throw a lifeline to Elijah Taylor while we're at it?

One beat his partner's face in, one got caught with coke and got done for drink driving. No comparing the two.

I wonder how many recent hawks premiership players (including club greats) could relate to Stengle's trouble a little more than we'd like to admit...

sh*t take

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Oh wait you mean shit take as in they're not comparable. Mate, there have been people on this board that suggested we rehabilitate and give Taylor a chance so it's not like I'm pulling it from nothing.

There's just no point in bringing a player like Stengle to the club now, Richmond had an opportunity to bring him back and help him and they passed. They're the club in a position to do that now, not us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back