• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

bigman

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2004
All Parts
AFL Club
Adelaide
When is the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft?
The evening of Wednesday, June 2, in the week following round 11. Nominations for eligible players opens at 9am AEST on Monday, May 10 and close at 5pm AEST on Tuesday, May 25.

Watch all the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft picks LIVE and EXCLUSIVE on AFL.com.au
and the AFL Live Official App from 6.30pm AEST on Wednesday, June 2

Nicks today saying if the right player is there we may have up to 3 picks
In the mid season draft

he mentioned small forward role and quick midfielder as options they were focusing on

no mention of ruck

Last edited by a moderator:

I do wonder if Frampton or Himmelberg could be converted to KPD's as a stop-gap. My gut feel is Berg would be hopeless in that role. Frampton on the other hand tries at least, is not soft and has a bit of mongrel in him. Big problem is neither of these guys can take a contested mark to save their lives.
I have thought for a while that we should have been trying Frampton as a defender. Especially this year with Talia out. He could play that 2nd key defender role when we come up against a side with 2 key forwards.

because the national draft has the best juniors of that year and the mid season doesnt?
He was being sarcastic. It was a response to Crowsb4hoes making a silly comment that we shouldnt enter the midseason draft. Of course we absolutely should. We need to take every opportunity we can to unearth talented players.

He was being sarcastic. It was a response to Crowsb4hoes making a silly comment that we shouldnt enter the midseason draft. Of course we absolutely should. We need to take every opportunity we can to unearth talented players.
yeah I had an inkling it was sarcasm because it seemed like a weird post lol.

We need a Ruckman badly to develop. The one I would take is the 211 cms Alex Mirov. He played volleyball before swtching codes. Let him learn the craft and he takes over when he's ready. The other 2 rucks are Heath and Moyle. Pick one of them please.We can have 2 other picks, 1 Mid/SF and a tall KPD for mine.

We have plenty of Defenders around the 192 mark and not enought 195 or over.

Just came here to post likewise. Without knowing anything in particular about anyone in the draft beyond brief bios, he seems like exactly the sort of player we should be targetting in a midseason draft - raw ruck prospect with standout height.

There's no midfield class to be found in what is really an extended demonstrator rookie draft, and in our position we don't need to and shouldn't be drafting for immediate impact or filling a niche injury hole. It's the best place to pick up odd project players, and a ruckman is just the project we need.

I mean if they want to go the far more low risk low reweard route and take a mid and a small forward to add to our bulging list of workmen and journeymen fine, do it with the second two picks, but take a ruckman first.

Last edited:
I
Just came here to post likewise. Without knowing anything in particular about anyone in the draft beyond brief bios, he seems like exactly the sort of player we should be targetting in a midseason draft - raw ruck prospect with standout height.

There's no midfield class to be found in what is really an extended demonstrator rookie draft, and in our position we don't need to and shouldn't be drafting for immediate impact or filling a niche injury hole. It's the best place to pick up odd project players, and a ruckman is just the project we need.

I mean if they want to go the far more low risk low reweard route and take a mid and a small forward to add to our bulging list of workmen and journeymen fine, do it with the second two picks, but take a ruckman first.
get the feeling Hamish almost chooses his players on the under 16 or 17 form. I hope we try and get some midfielders that can play HF or HB because we have a lot of holes in the team. With Victoria not playing at all last year, there should be some players out there with big talent, only difference is it’s a shorter sample of game time by them

I

get the feeling Hamish almost chooses his players on the under 16 or 17 form. I hope we try and get some midfielders that can play HF or HB because we have a lot of holes in the team. With Victoria not playing at all last year, there should be some players out there with big talent, only difference is it’s a shorter sample of game time by them
Why do you get that feeling? Can you back it up with any facts or solid reasoning?

Does Shoey need 30 touches? He is getting better and better, has great composure with ball in hand. Stats are overrated sometimes, it’s influence on a game that matters

Yes. Imagine the ball in Schoenbergs hands 30 times. That almost changes the look of our midfield over night.

Really, if Schoenberg is to become that elite midfielder he absolutely could be at this point, he needs to accumulate.

Last edited:
Yes. Imagine the ball in Schoenbergs hands 30 times. That almost changes the look of our midfield over night.

Really, if Schoenberg is to become that elite midfielder he absolutely could be at this point, he needs to accumulate.

Needs more midfield time if that's going to happen. Unfortunately we're a little scared to reduce the minutes Sloane or Keays spend in there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs more midfield time if that's going to happen. Unfortunately we're a little scared to reduce the minutes Sloane or Keays spend in there.

Without seeing CBAs, I reckon he spent more time there this week.

I

Why do you get that feeling? Can you back it up with any facts or solid reasoning?
Just a feeling. always talks about there form as a 16 years old, also has meetings with parents. It might explain why we have taken injured players like Pedler and Lever plus the reason we don’t really take draft bolters

I have thought for a while that we should have been trying Frampton as a defender. Especially this year with Talia out. He could play that 2nd key defender role when we come up against a side with 2 key forwards.

I don't see the point, though. I don't think any of us genuinely believes that Frampton has a long term future at this level, and Himmelberg is marginal at best. It's a rebuild, so we're better off pumping games into guys that either do have a future or who we are still weighing up. So that's Butts, Murray, McAsey, Worrell, maybe even Borlase although I'm not sure how far off he is. I'd be trying all of them before turning to Himmelberg or (especially) Frampton. Playing Frampton is like playing Mackay - neither one of them should still be here in 2-3 years, so it's a waste of a game unless the other options are all injured / out of form.

Without seeing CBAs, I reckon he spent more time there this week.

He went to 10 CBAs, Sloane, Keays and Laird attended 80% of our CBAs, 24 27 and 27 respectively. Seedsman being the only other one to roll through there. We really need to start getting some of the younger guys through and mixing things up a little.

We need a Ruckman badly to develop. The one I would take is the 211 cms Alex Mirov. He played volleyball before swtching codes. Let him learn the craft and he takes over when he's ready. The other 2 rucks are Heath and Moyle. Pick one of them please.We can have 2 other picks, 1 Mid/SF and a tall KPD for mine.

We have plenty of Defenders around the 192 mark and not enought 195 or over.

The rumour thread says that we are into Coleman-Jones. If we get him, we don't really need Stauchn, Himmelberg, Billy or a msd ruck.

Still, until we get Coleman-Jones, we may need all three.
I

Just a feeling. always talks about there form as a 16 years old, also has meetings with parents. It might explain why we have taken injured players like Pedler and Lever plus the reason we don’t really take draft bolters
Braden Cook is probably a bolster from last draft.

The rumour thread says that we are into Coleman-Jones. If we get him, we don't really need Stauchn, Himmelberg, Billy or a msd ruck.

Still, until we get Coleman-Jones, we may need all three.

Braden Cook is probably a bolster from last draft.
Mixed a few thoughts up there, perils of posting by mobile . . .

We run 3 primaries that get to accumulate, the others are support staff.

He went to 10 CBAs, Sloane, Keays and Laird attended 80% of our CBAs, 24 27 and 27 respectively. Seedsman being the only other one to roll through there. We really need to start getting some of the younger guys through and mixing things up a little.

the maths is simple, I've been posting it a bit lately. There are 3 available midfield units. Keays, Sloane and Laird play 80% game time 100% in the stoppage rotation. So that's 2.4 units spent and 0.6 available to share between Berry, Schoey and Seed. We're not developing a midfield, we're refusing to in favour of minimising degree of loss or hopefully finishing a few spots higher on the ladder. This is how the AFC rebuilds, exactly the same as we contend.

I still don't understand our list management. Can someone explain this?

AFL website still going with us only having 1 list position available.

We have Gibbs & Stengle gone.
We have long term injuries to Milera and Hinge.

So have we not moved any of these? Are one of Gibbs and Stengle still on our list?
Have we not moved Milera and Hinge to the LTI list? Have we upgraded players to the senior list? What on Earth is going on??

I still don't understand our list management. Can someone explain this?

AFL website still going with us only having 1 list position available.

We have Gibbs & Stengle gone.
We have long term injuries to Milera and Hinge.

So have we not moved any of these? Are one of Gibbs and Stengle still on our list?
Have we not moved Milera and Hinge to the LTI list? Have we upgraded players to the senior list? What on Earth is going on??

Gibbs has already been covered with us bringing on Murray.

We just haven't moved Milera and Hinge to the inactive list at this point - whether we do or not remains to be seen. There is at least merit in the idea to move them to the inactive list because it gives us a head start in restocking our rookie list (let's not pretend our picks will do any more then that at the moment), but also, I kind of get the idea of waiting until the end of the year to see how the 2021 class shapes up there. Especially as the crux of the 2020 class is not going to be present (their U17 year).

My expectation is we'll move one to the inactive list late today and go in with two picks.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

2021 Mid season draft (June 2nd)

Back