• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

bigman

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2004
All Parts
AFL Club
Adelaide
When is the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft?
The evening of Wednesday, June 2, in the week following round 11. Nominations for eligible players opens at 9am AEST on Monday, May 10 and close at 5pm AEST on Tuesday, May 25.

Watch all the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft picks LIVE and EXCLUSIVE on AFL.com.au
and the AFL Live Official App from 6.30pm AEST on Wednesday, June 2

Nicks today saying if the right player is there we may have up to 3 picks
In the mid season draft

he mentioned small forward role and quick midfielder as options they were focusing on

no mention of ruck

Last edited by a moderator:
I do wonder if Frampton or Himmelberg could be converted to KPD's as a stop-gap. My gut feel is Berg would be hopeless in that role. Frampton on the other hand tries at least, is not soft and has a bit of mongrel in him. Big problem is neither of these guys can take a contested mark to save their lives.

Nobody denies that we badly need mids but we need A-graders and we'll need to acquire those at the pointy end of the draft (unless we get lucky with a trade which is unlikely imo). I'm not sure the mids available in the mid-season draft further our rebuild but I'd be keen to see what some of our posters who follow junior footy think about that.

A KPD is a little different because even a blue collar KPD would be a massive help to us right now and Murray and McAsey don't even clear that low bar.
No too many 19/20yo KPDs going around who can hold up a backline. Give the kids a chance!

Butts, Talia, Doedee, Worrell, McAsey, Murray. Plenty of height down there to pick 2 or 3 each week in 2 years time.

I do wonder if Frampton or Himmelberg could be converted to KPD's as a stop-gap. My gut feel is Berg would be hopeless in that role. Frampton on the other hand tries at least, is not soft and has a bit of mongrel in him. Big problem is neither of these guys can take a contested mark to save their lives.
Frampton has played 6 games, and 10 of his 25 marks are contested marks. He's no Stewart Loewe, but can take a contested mark. Rates as average.

Joe Daniher has taken 16 in 11 games as a reference.

KPDs don't need to be great marks BTW.

No too many 19/20yo KPDs going around who can hold up a backline. Give the kids a chance!

Butts, Talia, Doedee, Worrell, McAsey, Murray. Plenty of height down there to pick 2 or 3 each week in 2 years time.
Butts is great, Talia injured and getting older, Doedee not a KPD, Worrell not a KPD, McAsey looks way off it and Murray will not make it.

Borlase maybe...he's the right size. Looks a bit too slow to me though, even for a KPD.

Interesting - we're now getting rumoured as being interested in Jai Newcombe, as well as Davis and Patrick Parnell.

None of whim are small forwards, which Nicks said we'd be looking at.

Personally, I think Davis is the ideal third draft pick for us.

Take him on a six months deal, and pay him to train fulltime. He's already here playing for us, so we won't have transfer fees, and it will help him settle in further. Just a nice no-risk way to get a better look at him, and no need to use an earlier pick on him.

Murray has one hallmark of a key defender nailed = effort. He had 24 one-percenters yesterday. Needs to work on his 1-on-1 stuff (big-time) + absorb some footy smarts from somewhere.

The weekends game showed that Murray is completely useless in a one v one contest. The only thing going for him is his intercept marking.

Worrell is an intercept defender, like a taller version of Doedee. Doesn't really play like a KPD.

People putting McAsey's name out there obviously haven't seen our SANFL games. He's nowhere near ready.

Borlase has been better in the SANFL than McAsey in the games I've seen. He's closer to what I'd call a blue collar KPD. Given how poor Murray has been, maybe he gets a run soon.

Butts and Talia are no brainers if they're fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Herald Sun has us taking Corey Preston and Will Bravo. Bravo seems unlikely, but Preston is interesting.

COREY PRESTON
Eastern Rangers, NAB League / Ferntree Gully
Height: 182cm
Weight: 77kg
18/12/02

Small/medium forward who is a Draft bolter having just played community football at Ferntree Gully at under age and senior levels last year but really caught the eye in trials for the Eastern Ranges this year before shutdown. His weapon is his overhead marking and goal sense as well as being a composed kick. Tested soundly at the Melbourne Draft Combine recording 3.03 seconds for 20 metres and has physical upside not turning 18 years until December 2020.

The weekends game showed that Murray is completely useless in a one v one contest. The only thing going for him is his intercept marking.

Worrell is an intercept defender, like a taller version of Doedee. Doesn't really play like a KPD.

People putting McAsey's name out there obviously haven't seen our SANFL games. He's nowhere near ready.

Borlase has been better in the SANFL than McAsey in the games I've seen. He's closer to what I'd call a blue collar KPD. Given how poor Murray has been, maybe he gets a run soon.

Butts and Talia are no brainers if they're fit.
Who cares who gets a run soon.

The question is whether we have the KPD stocks for 18 months from now, or if we need to invest even more in KPDs.

If we do, we should delist some of the players we already have first.

Who cares who gets a run soon.

The question is whether we have the KPD stocks for 18 months from now, or if we need to invest even more in KPDs.

If we do, we should delist some of the players we already have first.
What do you mean? If Borlase was close to selection, it would absolutely have implications for whether we take on more KPD's in the near future. Not so much for the other guys mentioned as they all have contracts.

Murray is an obvious choice for delistment imo. Not sure about his contract length though. Is he on 1 or 2 years?

At the very least I'd be picking a small forward to put pressure on McAdam and Rowe
Was hoping that would be Newchurch but he's a long way off by the looks of it.

Herald Sun has us taking Corey Preston and Will Bravo. Bravo seems unlikely, but Preston is interesting.

COREY PRESTON
Eastern Rangers, NAB League / Ferntree Gully
Height: 182cm
Weight: 77kg
18/12/02

Small/medium forward who is a Draft bolter having just played community football at Ferntree Gully at under age and senior levels last year but really caught the eye in trials for the Eastern Ranges this year before shutdown. His weapon is his overhead marking and goal sense as well as being a composed kick. Tested soundly at the Melbourne Draft Combine recording 3.03 seconds for 20 metres and has physical upside not turning 18 years until December 2020.
They also have Port taking Davis with their only pick after we pass on him in the first.

Frampton has played 6 games, and 10 of his 25 marks are contested marks. He's no Stewart Loewe, but can take a contested mark. Rates as average.

Joe Daniher has taken 16 in 11 games as a reference.

KPDs don't need to be great marks BTW.
Do they define contested if an opponent is standing within 10 meters..asking for a friend here

Remove this Banner Ad

2021 Mid season draft (June 2nd)

Back