• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

bigman

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2004
All Parts
AFL Club
Adelaide
When is the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft?
The evening of Wednesday, June 2, in the week following round 11. Nominations for eligible players opens at 9am AEST on Monday, May 10 and close at 5pm AEST on Tuesday, May 25.

Watch all the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft picks LIVE and EXCLUSIVE on AFL.com.au
and the AFL Live Official App from 6.30pm AEST on Wednesday, June 2

Nicks today saying if the right player is there we may have up to 3 picks
In the mid season draft

he mentioned small forward role and quick midfielder as options they were focusing on

no mention of ruck

Last edited by a moderator:
McPherson has been touted by the club as a Brown replacement. We’ve also got Murphy who can play back, Jones is now playing small defender, Hamill can rotate through. Ultimately its a great spot to blood young midfielders so I wouldn’t be too worried about finding a long term replacement.
Agree . We are actually more in need of a speedy small forward pressure applier in our forward line , still a massive weakness of the side since Charlie left

Butts is great, Talia injured and getting older, Doedee not a KPD, Worrell not a KPD, McAsey looks way off it and Murray will not make it.

Borlase maybe...he's the right size. Looks a bit too slow to me though, even for a KPD.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again...

Nathan Bock Board. KPP turns out not to be an instant superstar and he’s immediately written off. Sometimes makes this discussions hard to read

Our defenders would look a lot better if our mids didn't create turnovers or allow pressureless entries into opponents forward 50. I'm hesitant to judge too harshly until we start seeing some pressure applied to opponents prior to delivering into their 50.
Agree with this , our defence mainly stands up unless the ball movement is too unpressured from up the field , quite often starting in our forward line and its lack of pressure

Need a speedier small forward that is defensively elite as a priority need IMO

ours don’t have speed and don’t lock the ball in well enough - the Richmond game demonstrated this brilliantly
Rowe has the ability to find goals, this is a great quality and despite the defensive efforts he can provide you need a mix of both in a good forward line IMO

Rowe has the ability to find goals, this is a great quality and despite the defensive efforts he can provide you need a mix of both in a good forward line IMO
Not saying get rid of Rowe just saying we need more pressure appliers as well - ones that can close down space fast

tigers are full of them and was big reason we lost

I might be being pedantic, but the AFL release this to the public? Poor formatting, no consistency of naming, not even branded with any AFL logos, etc.

I'd expect more from a professional entity.

View attachment 1143378
I wonder how some of these players feel about having their nomination made public. Some of them are speculative at best, so might be a bit embarrassed having everyone know they nominated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe they've just settled on getting games into Gollant, O'Connor, Pedlar, Hately etc because they see them as valuable to the list rebuild as anyone else out there?....Ollie Davis aside.

I don't see the point, though. I don't think any of us genuinely believes that Frampton has a long term future at this level, and Himmelberg is marginal at best. It's a rebuild, so we're better off pumping games into guys that either do have a future or who we are still weighing up. So that's Butts, Murray, McAsey, Worrell, maybe even Borlase although I'm not sure how far off he is. I'd be trying all of them before turning to Himmelberg or (especially) Frampton. Playing Frampton is like playing Mackay - neither one of them should still be here in 2-3 years, so it's a waste of a game unless the other options are all injured / out of form.
I don't think he has a long term future with us as a forward either. But he may have been an ok key defender this year while Talia is out and while Mcasey is still developing. Once Mcasey is ready then definitely he should be in the side, but until he is we are still one big KPD short IMO.. Worrell seems to be more of a 3rd tall/intercepting defender type.

Maybe they've just settled on getting games into Gollant, O'Connor, Pedlar, Hately etc because they see them as valuable to the list rebuild as anyone else out there?....Ollie Davis aside.

Three games between them suggests otherwise.

Do you think this mystery official has a wide all-encompassing view of the situation and can appreciate all the angles? Or does he have club blinkers on?

How exceptionally petty and short-sighted of us if we aren't

"OK with with it" means that we understand the conditions that exist, not that we would choose those conditions if we had total control.

Do you think Bernie Vince should have played out his club cricket season with Woodville after being drafted by us?
Do you think you have any idea what you’re talking about or just throwing darts blindly?
It’s not a mystery official, I know the bloke, spoken to him many times, he also supports an AFL club pretty closely so no, I don’t think he has club blinkers on. I find it funny that as soon as SANFL supporters argue against a myopic AFL dictum we supposedly don’t want the player to get a crack at being the best he can be, of course all clubs want that for their players and do their best to provide that pathway, it’s when it’s done in such a way that it totally undermines any club outside the AFL mid season that is the issue.

As for Bernie Vince and cricket.....FMD, now your blindly pinging more arrows than Duursma.

Three games between them suggests otherwise.
All those guys bar Hately were given the season from hell to put their self forward for selection and development. Pedlar it was known when we drafted him was going to take some time getting his body right, much the same with Brayden Cook who was always seen as a long term prospect with massive upside.

Then again shiny new toyitis always seems to grip this board big time.

Almost all of the players nominated will be available at the end of the year if one jumps out of ground anyhow.

Only player aside from Davis I'd be keen on is Zavier Maher because he adds the burst speed to our midfield we lack and perhaps have a look at hard tackling small pressure forward.

So Geelong and Fremantle have opted to not take any picks in. Fremantle is fair enough, but Geelong is really surprising seeing their list profile.
The odds of picking up a decent player aren't all that great. Only 5 of 13 players selected in the 2019 MSD are still on an AFL list. It's no great surprise if many clubs see it as a waste of time.

The odds of picking up a decent player aren't all that great. Only 5 of 13 players selected in the 2019 MSD are still on an AFL list. It's no great surprise if many clubs see it as a waste of time.
That said there is one almighty difference to this year's MSD....the chance to get an early crack at 19 year Olds who were overlooked in last year's draft through no fault of their own other than recruiters were reluctant to pull the trigger with the lack of 2020 Intel.

Hopefully they're the ones we focus on.

So Geelong and Fremantle have opted to not take any picks in. Fremantle is fair enough, but Geelong is really surprising seeing their list profile.

Maybe no 35 year olds put their hand up.

Remove this Banner Ad

2021 Mid season draft (June 2nd)

Back