• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

bigman

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2004
All Parts
AFL Club
Adelaide
When is the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft?
The evening of Wednesday, June 2, in the week following round 11. Nominations for eligible players opens at 9am AEST on Monday, May 10 and close at 5pm AEST on Tuesday, May 25.

Watch all the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft picks LIVE and EXCLUSIVE on AFL.com.au
and the AFL Live Official App from 6.30pm AEST on Wednesday, June 2

Nicks today saying if the right player is there we may have up to 3 picks
In the mid season draft

he mentioned small forward role and quick midfielder as options they were focusing on

no mention of ruck

Last edited by a moderator:
Still take up cap space and a spot. What’s the point?
What's the point in drafting anyone then?

I mean, I guess our drafting has been so exceptional in the past, the last thing we need to do is try and get additional players. We're already perfect - we should leave this opportunity for the less fortunate clubs.

I agree. It also showed us that Schoenberg will never get 30+ touches, that Rowe is a bad kick for goal, and that Scholl will be mediocre.
This is a rather lame attempt at sarcasm. Sholl and Schoenberg will be very handy players who have long careers. Both were taken in the national draft, Schoenberg an early second rounder, Sholl taken late but had interest from other clubs and would have almost certainly been picked up by Geelong. Murray was a highly speculative spp rookie pick brought in as a stop-gap due to injuries to other defenders.

I don't rate Rowe very highly tbh but he has great skills so his goal kicking would never be a knock on him, yesterdays game aside.

I do wonder if Frampton or Himmelberg could be converted to KPD's as a stop-gap. My gut feel is Berg would be hopeless in that role. Frampton on the other hand tries at least, is not soft and has a bit of mongrel in him. Big problem is neither of these guys can take a contested mark to save their lives.
Frampton may be useful for this. Sure can't mark to save his life but usually makes a contest and brings it to ground. I'm sick of seeing opposition forwards taking easy grabs against our undersized/undermanned defence. It's worth a try I think.

Frampton may be useful for this. Sure can't mark to save his life but usually makes a contest and brings it to ground. I'm sick of seeing opposition forwards taking easy grabs against our undersized/undermanned defence. It's worth a try I think.
I guess taking contested grabs isn't that important if you have a good defensive game, can nullify your opposition 1v1 and get a spoil in when needed. Frampton is great at spoiling his own marks, why can't he be great at spoiling somebody elses? ;)

They also have Port taking Davis with their only pick after we pass on him in the first.
Has melbourne taking stengle!!!...

And us taking a running backman when we’ve already got half a dozen of them and our coach said they are looking at a small forward!..

They mustve been drunk when they wrote that!

Unfortunately no. We do need a KPD badly. Murray is not at the level, McAsey is looking like another fu** up from Hamish at this point (still has time but offers very little right now), and Talia is coming to the end of his career. We have a massive gap in our list and I wouldn't be averse to trading in a mature age KPD as a stop-gap because getting monstered by KPF's every week if going to be a big problem moving forward. Imagine how f’ed we'd be if Butts went down.

Our defenders would look a lot better if our mids didn't create turnovers or allow pressureless entries into opponents forward 50. I'm hesitant to judge too harshly until we start seeing some pressure applied to opponents prior to delivering into their 50.

Interesting - we're now getting rumoured as being interested in Jai Newcombe, as well as Davis and Patrick Parnell.

None of whim are small forwards, which Nicks said we'd be looking at.

taking something we think is missing from our current 22 would be incredibly short sighted. Nicks shouldn't be making those calls, even free hits can come with an opportunity cost.

I will be happy if the next eight players we draft are mids. I cannot believe ppl gripe about our kpp stocks when our midfield is far and away the worst in the comp.
I'll be happy if they have any leg speed and can hit a target 40 metres away on the run, but not if they are one-dimensional ball magnets who rack up contested possessions that put teammates under pressure. We have enough ball hunters and hard working inside mids, we don't have anyone who can actually get the ball away from the contest.

Personally, I think Davis is the ideal third draft pick for us.

Take him on a six months deal, and pay him to train fulltime. He's already here playing for us, so we
won't have transfer fees, and it will help him settle in further. Just a nice no-risk way to get a better look at him, and no need to use an earlier pick on him.
If we daft Ollie I'm pretty sure we have pay his junior club Clarence a fee, remember he'd played for the Tassie Devils earlier in the season as an over-ager.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. It also showed us that Schoenberg will never get 30+ touches, that Rowe is a bad kick for goal, and that Sholl will be mediocre.
Does Shoey need 30 touches? He is getting better and better, has great composure with ball in hand. Stats are overrated sometimes, it’s influence on a game that matters

Wasn’t at Prospect on the weekend but hearing that Ash Johnson pulled out of the game so as not to get injured and harm his MSD prospects. Poor form if that’s the case.

Does Shoey need 30 touches? He is getting better and better, has great composure with ball in hand. Stats are overrated sometimes, it’s influence on a game that matters

His post was sarcastic. Shoey will absolutely start racking up 30 disposal games, he knows where to be and how to get the ball - is only a matter of time.

A small forward is definitely a need.

It is, but in my opinion we shouldn’t necessarily be looking for someone who can play right away. If we do that we’re going for a mature ager to play now. And if that’s not the strategy, we don’t have to find that small forward now because we have the off-season and national draft. If the right small forward is available now, go ahead, but let’s not just take one for the sake of it if there are better players of other positions available.

I guess taking contested grabs isn't that important if you have a good defensive game, can nullify your opposition 1v1 and get a spoil in when needed. Frampton is great at spoiling his own marks, why can't he be great at spoiling somebody elses? ;)
Unlike McAdam he's usually at front of the contest. Too often lately I see our defenders trying to spoil from behind to no avail.

We have turned over nearly half of our list since the end of 2019 and I expect that we will look at bringing in at least six new players at the end of this year via the draft or trade. We have picked most of the easy fruit and it will be tough to decide which six players move off our list at the end of the season. This assumes we only take one player in the MSD.

Tex, Seed and Kelly have all performed better than expected this season and I expect them to remain on our list. From the 25 year+ group the main candidates are Mackay and Lynch and they are not certain to be delisted/traded. Amongst the younger players Ben Davis is pretty much a given but the rest are either contracted or imho they deserve another year (Gollant, Murray)

I expect that we will take one pick in the MSD but I wouldn’t be surprised if we kept our powder dry. The question will be whether the player we take will be better than a fourth round pick in the 2021 draft (I expect the better players in the MSD will nominate the 18 month option).

Does anyone have a list of who has nominated 6 v 18 months?

We need a Ruckman badly to develop. The one I would take is the 211 cms Alex Mirov. He played volleyball before swtching codes. Let him learn the craft and he takes over when he's ready. The other 2 rucks are Heath and Moyle. Pick one of them please.We can have 2 other picks, 1 Mid/SF and a tall KPD for mine.

We have plenty of Defenders around the 192 mark and not enought 195 or over.

Any chance we take the lad that is apparently McAdam’s brother. Saw a little bit of him playing against our SANFL side and he looked ok.

Remove this Banner Ad

2021 Mid season draft (June 2nd)

Back