• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

bigman

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2004
All Parts
AFL Club
Adelaide
When is the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft?
The evening of Wednesday, June 2, in the week following round 11. Nominations for eligible players opens at 9am AEST on Monday, May 10 and close at 5pm AEST on Tuesday, May 25.

Watch all the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft picks LIVE and EXCLUSIVE on AFL.com.au
and the AFL Live Official App from 6.30pm AEST on Wednesday, June 2

Nicks today saying if the right player is there we may have up to 3 picks
In the mid season draft

he mentioned small forward role and quick midfielder as options they were focusing on

no mention of ruck

Last edited by a moderator:
Meanwhile, can we talk a bit about Hall's Creek??!!

Population 1500. Assuming half are women, that is 750 men. Assuming there are a number of kids and elderly etc... you are probably talking about 350 males that are in an AFL age bracket (I know this is exactly accurate, but just for comparison purposes below).
Out of those, 6 are now on AFL lists. 6.
That is 1.7 % of the eligible population.

Compare that to the AFL as a whole.
Australian population, approx 25.5 million. Taking out women and elderly/kids etc...in the same way as above, that leaves 6.375 million possibilities.
AFL lists are about 42, with 18 teams, so 756 players.
That means 0.01% of the eligible population.

In other words if you are a young male from Hall's Creek, you are 170 times more likely to be an AFL footballer if you are a male from Hall's Creek than the rest of Australia.

Incredible.

Population 1500. Assuming half are women, that is 750 men. Assuming there are a number of kids and elderly etc... you are probably talking about 350 males that are in an AFL age bracket (I know this is exactly accurate, but just for comparison purposes below).

Australian population, approx 25.5 million. Taking out women and elderly/kids etc...in the same way as above, that leaves 6.375 million possibilities.

In other words if you are a young male from Hall's Creek, you are 170 times more likely to be an AFL footballer if you are a male from Hall's Creek than the rest of Australia.

Incredible.

Elite post.

What you are missing is that trading a player from one club to another usually means some compensation, certainly does between clubs in the AFL. But an AFL club picking up a player from a SANFL club equals f**k all for the State League club. Doesn't happen in other professional leagues world wide.

Why people think that the breading ground of AFL clubs (State League comps) should be shafted by the AFL is beyond me. It's like an engineering firm trying to destroy universities

The 'breeding ground' isn't shafted. Perhaps your club's chance of success this season is hindered, sure. It's not ideal, but that doesn't impact the 'breeding ground' - if anything, it gives another player a chance to show their stuff. I've never understood this view in football.

I'm pretty involved with my local district cricket club. We were doing really well in first grade this year (which is effectively the SANFL equivalent) and our best performed player over the last two seasons (Sam Kerber) was plucked from our side and into the Redbacks side for the back end of the season. Massively compromised our chances - identical situation to what's happened in the MSD. But literally nobody cared. Because you're just that bloody happy for the bloke getting a chance to make a career out of the game. I think you'd struggle to encounter any 'cricket people' who'd ever rue losing a player to a higher comp. Never understood why footy supporters are so entitled about it.

It's just what a talent development structure is. You want to provide opportunity for those below to rise up and remove as many barriers as possible. Clubs at a lower level just have to make a little bit of a sacrifice for the greater good of the game. Try telling Ash or Jed that they have to sacrifice their dream so Sturt can finish 6th instead of 8th

Incredible.
It's probably higher than that. AFL age is really only from 18-32 (with a few rare outliers at the older end). I doubt half the male population of Halls Creek would fall into that age group. This just makes it even more remarkable.

It's probably higher than that. AFL age is really only from 18-32 (with a few rare outliers at the older end). I doubt half the male population of Halls Creek would fall into that age group. This just makes it even more remarkable.
True. Very rough numbers just to do a comparison.
They have also had a few others be close-ish. Tye Bedford was one not long ago.

The 'breeding ground' isn't shafted. Perhaps your club's chance of success this season is hindered, sure. It's not ideal, but that doesn't impact the 'breeding ground' - if anything, it gives another player a chance to show their stuff. I've never understood this view in football.

I'm pretty involved with my local district cricket club. We were doing really well in first grade this year (which is effectively the SANFL equivalent) and our best performed player over the last two seasons (Sam Kerber) was plucked from our side and into the Redbacks side for the back end of the season. Massively compromised our chances - identical situation to what's happened in the MSD. But literally nobody cared. Because you're just that bloody happy for the bloke getting a chance to make a career out of the game. I think you'd struggle to encounter any 'cricket people' who'd ever rue losing a player to a higher comp. Never understood why footy supporters are so entitled about it.

It's just what a talent development structure is. You want to provide opportunity for those below to rise up and remove as many barriers as possible. Clubs at a lower level just have to make a little bit of a sacrifice for the greater good of the game. Try telling Ash or Jed that they have to sacrifice their dream so Sturt can finish 6th instead of 8th

Not only that, but surely it makes attracting players to the club easier if you have a reputation of being a club that is very capable of getting players a shot at being on an AFL list.

It's just the mentality of the SANFL Fanbois, the SANFL is sacrosanct.

They still haven't come to terms that the SANFL is a feeder comp.

And you have to laugh at the few on here "we don't even get a transfer fee when we lose a player", **** me the AFC tips in $10,000,000 EVERY YEAR to the SANFL - how much more do the leaches want.

Incredible.

I'm surprised there hasn't been an article or bigger write-up from media on Halls Creek.

They actually speak a different language up there.

And you have to laugh at the few on here "we don't even get a transfer fee when we lose a player", fu** me the AFC tips in $10,000,000 EVERY YEAR to the SANFL - how much more do the leaches want.
Yep.. we cough up a shiteload of money to play in their crap league and have their umpires treat our players with utter disdain.. and we’re forced to develop our youth in a league that cleary actively works against the best interest of the club.

**** em... Its about time we gave them the middle finger and joined the eastern states league.

Yep.. we cough up a shiteload of money to play in their crap league and have their umpires treat our players with utter disdain.. and we’re forced to develop our youth in a league that cleary actively works against the best interest of the club.

fu** em... Its about time we gave them the middle finger and joined the eastern states league.

Agreed, if Olsen can get us out of the SANFL in the next year or two AND get us heading to the Brompton he should get a statue in his honour.

Incredible.
Having spent a lot of years working in the northern half of WA, I saw lots of kids playing sport and mucking around in general play with athleticism and hand eye coordination that is nothing short of remarkable. Shane Radbone's involvement with these young Halls Creek men shows what they can achieve if given the opportunity.
Honestly, if the Australian Government really got serious with long-term partnerships with AFL, NRL, Cricket and Netball to provide a mix of education and sporting pathways while maintaining connection to family and community, the outcomes achieved could help shape the generational change and create opportunities for self-determination so desperately required for these kids and their families, and the many kids just like them to come. They should get Shane Radbone to run the program in consultation with appropriate indigenous entities - he obviously has the business acumen, the sporting background and desire to see and effect change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How dare they find pathways to get high quality footballers an extra chance at a career in the sport. Don't they know....local footy is too important!
I’ll say it AGAIN, no one has problems with players getting drafted and helping them be as good as they can but gutting a club mid season is diabolical.
You wouldn’t want it to happen to your club, imagine for one second if AFL clubs could be raided mid season with no compensation offering players a chance to play finals.....I’m sure you’d be wrapped.

I’ll say it AGAIN, no one has problems with players getting drafted and helping them be as good as they can but gutting a club mid season is diabolical.
You wouldn’t want it to happen to your club, imagine for one second if AFL clubs could be raided mid season with no compensation offering players a chance to play finals.....I’m sure you’d be wrapped.

I'm a Panthers man. I reckon three seasons in a row we lost our ruck on the eve of the season/mid season. McLean & Brooskby SSP, Knoll mid season. Ruck's probably the hardest spot to replace. But eh - good on the kids for getting a crack. And South probably raided some ammos club to replace these dudes. Nobody's crying for them.

AFL clubs being raided mid season is a false equivalence. That would be like Glenelg raiding West. Not Collingwood raiding Sturt. I've got no issue with sideways barriers mid season. But upwards barriers? Turn it up. Try telling Ash Johnson he has to keep working for 21 bucks an hour fitting out cabinets into 4x4s so Sturt can stay in 6th and pass up guaranteed 70k to do so. Just treat it like an LTI - football isn't fair sometimes, but strong enough systems are able to cover losses.

And you have to laugh at the few on here "we don't even get a transfer fee when we lose a player", fu** me the AFC tips in $10,000,000 EVERY YEAR to the SANFL - how much more do the leaches want.
The SANFL clubs get players from suburban and country football clubs too, and those clubs are delighted to see their players progress to the next level even though it harms their chances

Imagine a player getting called up to the Australian team mid Shield season

Remove this Banner Ad

2021 Mid season draft (June 2nd)

Back