Autopsy 2021 Swans Vs Giants Elimination Final. Lost by 1 point

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree. We did make it alot easier for them than it should have been. Buddy caught out at least 3 times. As much as we are critical of entries going in forwards needed to work harder by winning and holding front position and working to present more. Multiple leads by an individual forward were well down.
Thoughts on their blocking at both ends and they were good at it

You know I knew we'd lose this in the worst possible way when I grabbed a packet of apple turnovers in the shops and they were actually mis-labelled custard ones

SO IT WAS YOUR ****EN FAULT

Did we get too cute with the selections, tempo footy, buddy centric etc

Then Mills and Kennedy on the sideline ARGH. How can you think those two out was a blessing in disguise
I know that even the top backline, KPDs types get goals scored on them, it happens. Weitering for example got bags kicked on him. But it was the way Melican played that was frustrating. Went for the very safe play by punching it out, didn't want to go for the mark. Beaten 1 on 1 as well at times by Hogan... if he was against Buddy, McKay, Hawkins or Dixon types for example I would be more forgiving... but Hogan... come on.

Recruiters know that KPD is the #1 target this offseason.
alirr alirr maybe

I am still astonished they kept a lid on it coming into the start of the season when everyone was talking rebuild. I probably need to go back and check the team lists for the last few games last year but the first 3 games blew me away with the new kids absolutely dominating, names I hadn't heard before! and I was onto Dawson in 2019

I felt we lost it three areas tonight:

1. We were far too lose in our D50. McCartin handled the tall ball, but Melican clearly was outclassed by Hogan. The defensive stoppages were woeful (again) with not enough win on the inside or protection on the outside. Warner got caught a few times being sucked in and not playing tight. GWS did a good job nullifying Lloyd for our post-scrabble outlet. At the end of the day, that 2nd quarter defensive laps cost us an extra 3 goals.

2. We didn’t take our chances. There were some late howlers from Bell and Hayward here, but let’s not forget Papley burned quite a few early too. F50 entries were possibly as sloppy as I’ve seen this year and it seemed we couldn’t create any space. Forwards were running into each other’s territory and it looked generally uncoordinated. Irrespective, that was our game to win, but we blew our lines, through a lack of composure.

3. I think we all realise that we were undermanned tonight. Bell, Melican, COR are probably out of there depth at this level. Warner was not tuned or battle ready (as could have been said of Campbell and Stephens). That’s enough critical mass which any team will struggle carrying. I’m not sure why Fox is on the outer, but the coaching panel will have their

4/10 tonight, 9/10 for the year. There should be enough post-game rage and regret to fuel next year, but I’m really worried about our back line.
I do agree. We are a key defender short atm. I hope we consider Talia who we could pick up as a delisted free agent. Think he would be an improvement on Melican and certainly Brand.
Apart from the obvious late misses, I felt we lost the game in the first half by constantly bombing the ball into the F50 expecting Franklin to mark it. Franklin doesn't take contested marks. When we have played at our best we have constantly looked for a target rather than just hacking it in long.

I do agree. We are a key defender short atm. I hope we consider Talia who we could pick up as a delisted free agent. Think he would be an improvement on Melican and certainly Brand.
Apart from the obvious late misses, I felt we lost the game in the first half by constantly bombing the ball into the F50 expecting Franklin to mark it. Franklin doesn't take contested marks. When we have played at our best we have constantly looked for a target rather than just hacking it in long.
I felt we lost it because Bell had 2 routine set shots for 0.1 & others failed to hit the target in the final quarter.

But you’re right that our bombing to Buddy was infuriating & he’s never been a good contested mark.

No to Talia.

Agree but we can work around that with smart rotations and balance through the middle plus George will be running around for a while longer than the great JPK I would suggest.
True Wolfy.
You know the buggers nearly pulled that off.
All of them had to make that effort.
We very nearly would have been the talk of the weekend.
Oh well.
That's why we do love them.
Some of the guts made some errors, including the better players & they myst feel more crap than us.
Commentators doing their best to give that slug Green the all clear.
Can't stand their coach, Green & Mumford.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SO IT WAS YOUR fu**EN FAULT
Actually no. It was mine. I have a confession to make.

I committed a thought crime.

Driving back from the supermarket about 20 minutes before the game my mind wandered to a hypothetical grand final day and I imagined rocking up at my dad’s place with my young bloke to watch the game.

I’m so sorry.

Edit: I did belt myself over the head with a bedside lamp Dobby style but it was too little too late.

Just got home. My legs are still shaking, but that is probably from my car which coughed and sputtered all the way home. Good little thing didn't give up.

Maybe it is the fact that my car didn't die on the highway, or I got to see the Swans live in a final in a "home" match, or that it was one hell of a football match but surprisingly I am not disappointed with the result. It was a lot of fun firstly, and I am happy with how we came back into the game. Bell's miss was costly. I just had that feeling in my gut that it was going to be that after it. (until Buddy marked)

What a wonderful season and what wonderful football we play. Shame about today but that doesn't change anything which happened previously or what will happen in the future. Players will be hurting and that can only be good for the future.

Actually no. It was mine. I have a confession to make.

I committed a thought crime.

Driving back from the supermarket about 20 minutes before the game my mind wandered to a hypothetical grand final day and I imagined rocking up at my dad’s place with my young bloke to watch the game.

I’m so sorry.

Edit: I did belt myself over the head with a bedside lamp Dobby style but it was too little too late.
Well that made me smile for the first time since about 4pm this afternoon - thank you.

Although I agree that we should have won the game it is worth noting that we were -15 for contested possessions and -8 for clearances.
Going into the game we were always likely to lose the contested possession looking at our midfields. We did surprisingly well from the centre clearances and dominated inside 50s. I thought we had enough potency in attack to take advantage of that.
They were able to create some goals from I50 stoppages.
I think our midfield outperformed and our forwards/defense probably underperformed.
Ultimately you just have to take your opportunities and I think we probably missed some opportunities in what was a fairly tight game.
Let's hope we learn our lessons and build for next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2021 Swans Vs Giants Elimination Final. Lost by 1 point

Remove this Banner Ad

Back