Autopsy 2021 Swans Vs Giants Elimination Final. Lost by 1 point

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, it didn't cost us the game but been on the list for 6 years and with little to no 'footy brain' and that is a bigger issue.
3c822fd652527ab40b8286011e5e5453.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Lack of execution and a number of decisions cost us the game and no way I am blaming Melican but I must admit I was yelling at the TV "give it to Henney". If we are talking about being on the list for years and making poor decisions Rampe's kick was really poor too. And again I am not blaming him - the team as a whole lost end of. Just hope we learn from it.

Too many too harsh on Melican , his stats were pretty good . The 1 thing that stood out to me all game was the way their talls block our players in attack or defence without 1 free !
Very true. Hogan was their main target so the rest of their forwards sacrificed their game by blocking for him whenever the ball was in the air. Many times Melican couldn't get a clear run at it.

True, but doesnt know basic footy.

I think it was more about the confidence in making the decision, effectively the bomb in was the least risky option so the button on that was pressed. He kicks out often enough from defence, he knows where the options were. For me it was not so much about smarts but confidence in the execution to do it. Nfi if that is right or wrong.

Bell. If you're a forward you should kick goals from 20m out. Especiallwey when you offer precisely nothing else.
Yep.
honestly, still a little emotional, a tough loss..

Ok so we had Blakey, Mills and Kennedy all out injured, that's bad luck. But why were Fox and Campbell cooling their heels on the sideline?

Seriously coaches, the second coming of Micky O. he ain't.. But not one player's fault, let's be fair..

Another pre-season into Logan McD., and we'll be back..

Too many too harsh on Melican , his stats were pretty good . The 1 thing that stood out to me all game was the way their talls block our players in attack or defence without 1 free !
There's no stat for losing contested marks to Hogan though. Anyone watching the game would see he was given a bath

Yes, it didn't cost us the game but been on the list for 6 years and with little to no 'footy brain' and that is a bigger issue.
3c822fd652527ab40b8286011e5e5453.jpg

Could still be a risky play. If you kick it to where Heeney is it’ll likely be spoiled from behind. If you kick it in front of Heeney he has to run into it putting in close to that man on the mark as well as the guy coming across possibly able to spoil.

All easy to assess in a still shot from our couches in the dying minutes of a game.

I hate Mumford but he played a blinder yesterday. Well and truly got the honours on our beloved Tom Hickey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know what sh!ts me as much as anything?

This post game talk about GWS 'found a way to win'. That they bravely 'gutsed it out'.

BS. They did nothing but lay back and cross their fingers. They do not deserve a place in week 2 of the finals.

GWS are a very lucky team this morning.

I also suspect this robbery may change the nature of our games in future where they truly become the hunted team who dread to play us.
We must have been watching different games. I am so shattered and certainly not pi**ing in the Giants' pockets coz I loathe them, but they ran rings around us for half the game. We were always playing catchup.

Could still be a risky play. If you kick it to where Heeney is it’ll likely be spoiled from behind. If you kick it in front of Heeney he has to run into it putting in close to that man on the mark as well as the guy coming across possibly able to spoil.

All easy to assess in a still shot from our couches in the dying minutes of a game.
I have tried a video and it failed so unsure why. Heeney raised his arms and yelled for the ball and was ignored.

Your explain is a highly unlikely outcome if you watch it.

You know what sh!ts me as much as anything?

This post game talk about GWS 'found a way to win'. That they bravely 'gutsed it out'.

BS. They did nothing but lay back and cross their fingers. They do not deserve a place in week 2 of the finals.

GWS are a very lucky team this morning.

I also suspect this robbery may change the nature of our games in future where they truly become the hunted team who dread to play us.
Yep. So brave holding on. Found a way. Blah blah.
Utter bullshit

They choked. We were all over them.
We just kept hitting the post.

I have tried a video and it failed so unsure why. Heeney raised his arms and yelled for the ball and was ignored.

Your explain is a highly unlikely outcome if you watch it.

Fair enough. I am sure there are plenty of similar scenarios if we slow it down.
I’ll give the footage a miss, not looking for scapegoats, it is what it is.

you should watch it again. its an easy kick. heeney is actually not marked or to the extent he is mumford is marking both kickey and heeney.

Not only that Melican (to his credit) made a harder kick than this coming out of defence less than 3 minutes before hand.

Theres a lot of misses to go around so I wouldnt hang an individual for an individual error. But as with Bell's miss, Papley's shank, Hickey's miss etc its part of why we lost. In any case if you call for the ball to deliver inside 50 as Melican did then you have got to do more than just bomb it to a spot. Dawson could have done that in the first place.

I felt Melican got out-marked a lot but worth asking the question who could possibly defend the field-kicking GWS were doing? When we are hitting up leading marking targets lace out, it's our foot skills that are just sublime. When our opponents are hitting up leading marking targets lace out, it's because Melican's sh*t.

You can't defend a great kick to a forward's advantage. Maybe we need to just be more consistent with our pressure, particularly on the ball-carrier so their disposal will be rushed, rather than letting them launch 50m passes inside 50 with no perceived or applied pressure on the bloke kicking it.

No thats not right. Melican got outmarked mostly on slow plays. The mark by hogan on the stroke of 3 quarterrt time. The mark to hogsn on the stroke of half time. We were exceptionally lucky that Hogan missed two very easy shots from decent lead and jumps in the third quarter. The game would have been away from us if he'd kicked straight anyway

But Hogan is a good player. He's much much better than Melican whose primary strength is competitiveness. Hogan is smarter than that.

finals sting

this has to be a stepping stone

the year overall is a big tick

guys like bell melican whoever can only go if others step up and that needs to happen

my big worry is rampe and the key defender role

As long as we cash in next year on what we have built. Watched the game again this morning and when we started playing to the standards we have set that shit mob couldn’t go with us. I suppose that’s why we finished 3 and a half games ahead of them at seasons end but that inconsistency during games will cost you games against shit sides as it did yesterday. That has to be ironed out.

that’s not necessarily the most straightforward kick. Plenty of space when in a freeze frame.

actually it really is since the stand rule. its a really straightforward 45 kick. Most good juniors would be able to hit that

I dont think we have to defend him by pretending it was something that it wasnt. Just acceot that there are many errors in a match and to focus on the last one seems harsh. And Melican is paid not for his attacking prowess but for his defending - for that he deserves much opprobrium. But not seeing the clear short kick to our apparent match winner was a mistake (putting to one side the fact that I am not at all confident that heeney would have kicked it - his set shot kicking is hit and miss)

There's no stat for losing contested marks to Hogan though. Anyone watching the game would see he was given a bath

or the skinny kid when he was moved on to him.

Look the Club and the team lost the game yesterday, not a single player.

That said, I wish Jack Maibaum had a better run of it and that Paddy McC did not have a moment of madness ahead of the mid season draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2021 Swans Vs Giants Elimination Final. Lost by 1 point

Remove this Banner Ad

Back