Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick Daicos rightfully considered himself the best player last year and was pissed off North and Giants etc didn’t bid on him. I have no issue with confidence, provided it is matched with the work ethic required to actually be good

Perfectly acceptable answer.
Some of you guys are easily triggered by confidence.
Maybe check your insecurities.
Triggered by confidence? 😂

More likely we can just identify someone who’s said something that is at best a little over confident, and at worst a window into him being a cocky flog.
We don’t know which way it will fall just yet, but it’s laughable to suggest that people who see it as a red flag have “insecurities”.

He’s likely just a bit immature, trying to say the right thing and express his self worth and confidence.

As an old curmudgeon, can I just say, **** American culture.

If being humble and letting your abilities speak for themselves is old fashioned, I'm fine with being an old fart.

American culture is vapid, all about show, and glitz. Trash talking sportsmen, smart-arse child actors, everyone with a catch-phrase and a publicist. Never mind the substance, look at the copy!

The fact that those empty headed dollar-chasers lap that shit up doesn't mean we have to as well.

If that means I'm somehow insecure, I'll happily wear it

If he was that good, he wouldn't need to tell us, we'd tell him.

Umm guys….this is a little concerning?

In perhaps a sign the self-belief and confidence of overseas athletes is beginning to influence Australia’s emerging footballers, Phillipou was one of several prospects spoken to by foxfooty.com.au that indicated he’d take himself with the first selection.

“I think I‘d have to say myself, just because I think if you’re not going to back yourself, you probably don’t have the confidence required to play in the league,” he said.

“Whether I think I’m the best right now, I would probably say yes as well. But look at the end of the day, it‘s what clubs need and I might not be the best fit for a club. But if I had Pick 1, I’d definitely be taking myself.”
Sounds ok to me. What DO U WANT HI
Perfectly acceptable answer.
Some of you guys are easily triggered by confidence.
Maybe check your insecurities.

Given his youth relative to this draft cohort, I'd say he is a very likely prospect to become the best player from this draft.
I hope we pick him.
I agree with The Chad and I Nothing wrong with his answer. Its actually refreshing hearing someone back themself. The kid will be a very good AFL player...cut him some slack.

Triggered by confidence? 😂

More likely we can just identify someone who’s said something that is at best a little over confident, and at worst a window into him being a cocky flog.
We don’t know which way it will fall just yet, but it’s laughable to suggest that people who see it as a red flag have “insecurities”.

He’s likely just a bit immature, trying to say the right thing and express his self worth and confidence.

You're revealing yourself SYL.
"At best" could well be that he is demonstrating the confidence required to fulfill his potential - just like Judd, Hodge and others before him.
He even said as much himself. It's also a rather accurate assessment of his standing in this talent pool, given his age.

As an old curmudgeon, can I just say, * American culture.

If being humble and letting your abilities speak for themselves is old fashioned, I'm fine with being an old fart.

American culture is vapid, all about show, and glitz. Trash talking sportsmen, smart-arse child actors, everyone with a catch-phrase and a publicist. Never mind the substance, look at the copy!

If that means I'm somehow insecure, I'll happily wear it

If he was that good, he wouldn't need to tell us, we'd tell him.
There is none of that in his answer.
It was a considered and qualified statement of where he sees himself.
Not too far from the truth either.

There is none of that in his answer.
It was a considered and qualified statement of where he sees himself.
Not too far from the truth either.
True.

I'm not hugely annoyed with what he said, but it's about as much as I want to hear from a sportsman.

What if the next question is "What makes you superior to Ashcroft?" "What makes you a better player than Cadman?"

It just opens up unneccesary conversations once you start implying your superiority to your peers. I'd rather remain with our quiet humble culture than start taking steps towards self- big-noting US sport

You're revealing yourself SYL.
"At best" could well be that he is demonstrating the confidence required to fulfill his potential - just like Judd, Hodge and others before him.
He even said as much himself. It's also a rather accurate assessment of his standing in this talent pool, given his age.
I’m not revealing myself at all, I simply think that he could be giving us a window into him being a cocky flog.

If the club take him, I’ll back them in.

I’m not revealing myself at all, I simply think that he could be giving us a window into him being a cocky flog.

You know they asked all the top prospects who would go number 1, only 1 kid chose himself?

So what?
That could mean anything, or nothing at all, without the context of the discussion or the player's character.

Does that mean the others conforming robots devoid or personalities?
Or are they being deceitful in hiding their true feelings of superiority, inherent in most elite athletes?

I could just as easily say:
"This could be giving us a window into the others being a liars."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know they asked all the top prospects who would go number 1, only 1 kid chose himself?

Both Hewett and Tsatas said they would pick themselves at number 1 if they could.

04ADFD54-C356-4408-8B32-8132DCB7CF8C.jpeg

Both Hewett and Tsatas said they would pick themselves at number 1 if they could.

View attachment 1538337
good pick up, I was wrong to say it was just him.

Tsatas and Hewett probably answered it a little better.

Speedy on-baller Elijah Tsatas, who’ll be in the top-five mix come draft night, said he’d take Oakleigh Chargers teammate George Wardlaw first – but only if he couldn’t select himself at Pick 1.

“I’d love to be the No. 1 pick,” Tsatas told foxfooty.com.au.

“I think I‘ve always wanted to be the best and prove that I’m the best. That’s just the way I’ve been wired as a kid growing up, but if I was lucky enough to have that privilege, I’d take it with both hands.”

Umm guys….this is a little concerning?

In perhaps a sign the self-belief and confidence of overseas athletes is beginning to influence Australia’s emerging footballers, Phillipou was one of several prospects spoken to by foxfooty.com.au that indicated he’d take himself with the first selection.

“I think I‘d have to say myself, just because I think if you’re not going to back yourself, you probably don’t have the confidence required to play in the league,” he said.

“Whether I think I’m the best right now, I would probably say yes as well. But look at the end of the day, it‘s what clubs need and I might not be the best fit for a club. But if I had Pick 1, I’d definitely be taking myself.”
Well, it looks like we'll be striking out a good portion of the draft class. All in all, I think the whole situation has been way overblown. The kid backs his ability to become the best in the league. If the question was worded "Do you believe you can become the best player in this draft class" and the kid said "Nah, old mate Will has that locked up" people would be questioning his dedication, drive, and self-belief. Many players gave the same response to the prompt, Phillipou likely just gave the most catching and inflammatory response FoxFooty could print. Its purpose is to get nuffies to argue endlessly and look where we all are now.

Now I want us to draft him just to see the worthless melts. Get those toys back in the cot lads.

Reads more like he's going in with a ton of confidence in his ability and just worded it poorly. It's not a FIGJAM sorta comment to make, he's got the confidence that he'll become the best player in the draft. I'd rather that than a timid, reserved player who doesn't have that internal drive to see themselves as the best in the league.
I'm sure if we went with him Sammy will ground him pretty quickly. Probably in more ways than one 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back